Author Topic: Requesting Crossbow Build  (Read 4288 times)

Firestalker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Requesting Crossbow Build
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:31:41 pm »
Hey guys,

Im looking for a more up to date crossbow build which maybe includes bowyer, skinner (if it's worth it), hacking, lockpicking etc. since Im playing oddity system. Not sure about Crossbow builds at all. Wildans thread is bit out of date and has no skill point distribution. http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2136.msg12288#msg12288

Would put something together myself but since I have no experience at all on crossbow builds so Im not really confident about that.

Appreciate any help!

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Crossbow Build
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 11:00:55 pm »
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhAWEYE44gIygOwi+NBmGUVA-QtYGdMoiUANl1UpMZbHdXJD3jzrjxxkUTlH51BdGHX4Ykg9FlQQAHEA

This a almost similar crossbow build which I fairly easy finished the game. I modified it a bit to fit your expectations.

For this I was totally focused on critical damage and chance, at level 25 reaching if I remember correctly 57% chance (without Focus Stim) and 475% critical damage, using serrated bolts as main ammo, it has 70 on Electronics so I can craft MKIII shock bolts to deal with robots or any foe with very high mechanical resistance, I took Metathermics mostly for the fun caused by shattering with Cryostasis and detonations by Thermodynamic Destabilization of most enemies at full health. As for gear I had the following:

Head: Seeker Goggles w/ Night Vision
Armor Suit: Infused Rathound Leather Vest (12% critical chance)
Weapon: Monsoon model with: Super String and Anatomically-Aware Scope
Footgear: Infused Siphoner Tabi Boots (Inmobilization inmunity)

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 11:22:17 pm »
Copy and paste from my steam comment:
Hey Firestalker your xbow build is solid - but I just want to point out couple things:
Highest lockpicking check is 130 and jackknife is very light and provides +7 lockpicking and traps.
Highest container hacking is 135 but it's only for one single container. I would set effective hacking to 130 and use junkyard surprise if you *must* open it.
You need 95 effective traps to arm HE mine MKV but you rarely use them because of its high chem crafting requirement, plus 99% of the time a bear trap is the better choice. 115 effective traps will allow you to recover HE mine MKV, but they are super rare and you don't use them much anyway.
In addition to stopping melee enemy, kneecap shot is a special attack so you get a 22 ~ 41% damage boost from smart goggle, the damage is pretty damn good when use with a Super Zephyr.
Concussive shots is a passive feat that would apply to every shot so it's good, shame there's just no room for it.
Regenerative mixture and Supersoldier drug are awesome - just use junkyard surprise to boost bio to 130.

I did some testing on Skinner. If you are using infused siphoner leather armor and tabi boots (and you should), you will get an extra:
4%/1 mechanical
6%/1 heat
6%/1 acid
6 movement point
21 dodge (after 25% penalty from smart googles) 15 dodge
21 evasion

So yeah it's fine to skip Skinner and take something else.

This is how I would build my xbow char. I did fine playing xbow on hard without uncanny dodge, so one option would be reduce dodge to zero (and pump those points to traps/chem), skip uncanny dodge and take concussive shot/kneecap shot instead.
For everything else, Wildan's xbow thread is still very relevant, especially the part about a fast xbow and a slow, heavy hitting xbow.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:55:26 pm »
This
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhBmEDsICMp7PvJ4WxjjGQxADhADZywQpRU7hQAWbFR6g2JjlECKiAE443WGSZkoyGvChUE0hDARVB6YFVRlUw5BBJA

My current build.
Few notes - I have no idea how useful or how needed Biology for Crossbower, all these exotic poisons - no idea.
Also you need at least 20 effective Chemistry for basic Incendiary Bolts, and better to have 75 effective in endgame.
And you can completely discard Persuasion if you want - you'll get all Chemistry and Biology you need that way.

This build need one more feat - Pack Rathound increases 50 something of carry weight, and I suspect it is greatly needed in endgame where you are on your own supply.
So candidates for replacement - Sharpshooter, or Deadly Snares, or Snipe.
I'll choose Deadly Snares I think.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:18:29 am »
Hmm, question for you guys:
I never get the usefulness of Interloper, why take this when you can take Sprint which will give 30MP on demand, for 2 turns and at a lower requirement?

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:23:58 am »
Because you can walk in stealth all the time, like REAL NINJA!

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 12:58:13 pm »
This is the build that i finished the game with on hard difficulty with oddities XP system

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhBmEDsi4gIwDYVPG2MeoSirCgCcm6oVIU8JxptMDawqYnOBI0vSsACxwAHHDIhBYqBzq1MCGAkwkVEEUA

You can drop Hypertoxicity feat (it's mostly useful for killing certain creatures in foundry), instead i would recommend taking Kneecap Shot feat or anything else that is to your liking. Also you can reduce biology to a level you are comfortable with, 80-90 is pretty good, you will be able to craft most poison bolts and useful drugs in the game. Just be careful so that effective chemistry skill won't drop lower than 75 (it will make your end game a bit easier).

If you don't use oddities system then pickpocket isn't that useful to you either. You can distribute free point to either Dodge, Throwing or even Persuasion, depending on where you want to go with this build.

Personally i used smart goggles to enhance damage from special attacks like Aimed shot and Snipe and it was more that enough to stay with pretty good damage for the entire game. But you can go for critical hit route and take Recklessness feat, seeker goggles and infused rathound leather armor.

With pneumatic cyclon crossbow, special tactics and use of an adrenaline, you can shoot 5 bolts in the initial round, two of which will be special attacks, in 90% of the encounters it is enough to kill/stun most of the opponents.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 01:04:07 pm »
Biggest obstacle for a crossbow build is an enemy with high mechanical resistance, so Elemental Bolts feats along with a variety of special bolts is a must for you.

Firestalker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 11:08:13 pm »
Thank you guys, your replies really helped me out alot!

Im currently writing up a build for every class with oddity system and am testing out the in and outs.

@destroyer anwered via steam, thanks alot and nice to see that you included that into your guide.

On a totaly different note:

Pure Psi Casters
Would that be viable on a normal oddity XP run?
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?AwGloJgVhBmOQEZT3ogbCAHGX4RSJKwxQxaiKIDsecmAnDqACy0NGIkgsxekx8yJDAg5YqTLAY8IPeC0xRa6IunjoY1TsGBA

my concerns are the extremly low hp, low stealth and the psi point drain - I planned to stealth in and wreak all enemies in 1-2 turns.
Is it worth going for meditation, neurology to balance the psi point usage?
Are Hypothermia and Cryogenic Induction needed for enough burst?
Maybe go for 6 con 15 will 6 int for more hp and fast metabolism?

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 02:45:50 am »
With Psi being so strong I think pretty much any Psi build would be viable on a normal oddity run.

Low hp is not really a problem for a psi due to the numerous CC options.

Psi point drain can be solve by muffled headband + Psi Beetle carapace tactical vest.

I think stealth in your build is too low. I know you want a nice effective 90 dodge for uncanny dodge but it won't be 90 after armor penalty anyway so I'll leave base dodge at 40. With your build being so starve for skill point I would bump base lockpicking down to 105 and use eel sandwich for DEX + 1 bonus to pick high grade locks. Lastly, I would reduce base persuasion down to 53 as you can use Tchortist Noble Robe/Junkyard surprise. Persuasion is a nice fit due to high WIL but you can skip it and pump them to stealth.

With base Psychokinesis at 45 you lost Implosion, so my personal preference would be forgo Pack Rathound for Cerebral trauma to make the final fight easier. However this is entirely optional as you can just do an extra quest to make up for it.

I think Cryogenic Induction and Hypothermia is very useful as you will be using Cryokinesis a lot. Some people might skip them and opt for more utility like Force Users and/or Power Management.

Firestalker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 03:34:11 am »
alright, thanks for the tips.
Didn't think about the eel sandwich and tchortist robe. Makes sense to lower dodge to 40 with the armor penality.

I considered Psychostatic Electricity, Neural overclocking and Cerebral trauma instead of Cryogenic Induction, Hypothermia and packrat hound.
But I guess with the low Psychokinesis and without recklessnes and Psychosis thats not really worth it.