Author Topic: The Ultra-Hybrid  (Read 11383 times)

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
The Ultra-Hybrid
« on: September 06, 2020, 11:01:07 am »
It's called Ultra-Hybrid because it goes in all directions but can use the most appropriate tool for a job. With small tweaks the build is viable for Ironman.

These are the starting stats(10 Dex), as well as the end-game ones.

Bison Milk is better than an Eel Sandwich when using Super Soldiers.

It can do some damage.

Feats:

More weight limit is just a God-sent for me. I'd never swap it out, personally, but that's down to personal preference.

Hypertoxicity is a feat that's not always going to provide value. It doesn't always come online, but I still find it rather fun. I took it so early on because of the Foundry quest line.

I'd never swap Escape Artist out. I wish there were more ways to deal with enemy roots, though.

Ripper is superior to Critical Power in the context of this build, but it was there mostly for the last fight, regardless.

Expose Weakness is fundamental in my opinion. Although it's not taken very early on, it comes in just at the right time. The one spec point didn't provide any value, so it can be allocated elsewhere.

Three-Pointer and Fatal Throw like each other a lot. You basically end up spending 7 AP for less enemies around. Add in Premediated Thermodynamic Destabilisation, and you're swimming in cheese.

Quick Tinkering, Gas Grenades and Cryostasis is how I dealt with a lot of the mid-game quests. The entire Protectorate quest line, for example, is easily done with just those. The Lunatic Mall was a cakewalk, as well.

Speaking of the Psi:

For once Cryokinetic Orb isn't a fundamental skill. Cryostasis and Thermodynamic Destabilisation are, though. I used the Orb here and there, but to be honest you might not even bother with it. Exothermic Aura and Cryo-Shield are more useful. You can stop putting points into Metathermics once you get 100 % Destabilisation.

Here's some equipment:

I opted for the middle ground of just your regular Steel Knife, and it was doing fine. Reliable crits and good damage spread.

Rapid LS SMG. I love this stuff. It's fun when the repeater procs after a knife throw kill. Now you have 50 AP before Adrenaline but half the enemies are already dead. I didn't miss the extra 2 burst shots, but I found the extra accuracy to be quite nice. With Expose Weakness the SMG was doing triple digits on a Naga Protector without crits. Appropriate ammo applies, of course.

Don't shy from using Acid Blob Pistols. They are great.

I always ask myself - How do you survive a sniper shot without heavy armour?... Infused Bison Leather, of course. It's amazing how much it can tank for you. You can still make an Infused Rathound Leather for the final boss.

Also used Tesla Armour and crafted Galvanic helmet and boots for 100 % Electric Resistance.

Skill Points:

Pickpocketing to 40 asap. With an Eel Sandwich you can get some very nice knives from Captain Svana and Broderick. If you're lucky you can loot more from the gangsters in Junkyard. Gort, the named female npc next to the embassy, Fixer, Hopper Jim are just some of the easy sources of income. Looting everyone is a bit of a waste of time, but if you ever find yourself short on cash, you can just go for it, regardless. If you take your time you move in to save Newton at lvl 5 with MK II Frags, Flash Bangs, Taser, Traps, Poison Caltrops, Adrenaline Shots, ect. Looting the SGS sentries after you finish the first quest will give you 600-700 bullets to sell. In addition just 40 Pickpocketing gives you 17 Oddity xp for the game, 15 of which you get before hitting lvl 10. 

I think it's best to lvl up some Thought Control, as well. 20 or so points from Stealth, some points from Metathermics(after you get 100 % Destabilisation), 20 or so from Crafting(I am a little over-invested, actually) and a dedicated Neural Overload amp for dealing with the ghosts in Tithonus. That is if you want to go flawless.

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultra-Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 05:15:04 pm »
Looks nice! Didn't you think on adding spear throw? Would fit in both thematically and strategically.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 08:39:17 pm »
I was thinking about using that feat but in a different build. I think Spear Throw would need max spec into Quick Pockets. It's a nice, sniper-like attack at mid range, but ultimately, I don't think it's better than Hypertoxicity here. Hypertoxicity and Spear Throw overlap in one regard - massive damage to human bosses. After that using the passive damage from caltrops is better at taking out groups of enemies and controlling chokes vs a strong sneak attack from Spear Throw which the build can do with Cryostasis and Expose Weakness.

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 10:11:13 pm »
Well thought. If you ever build something around spear throw please share, I am kind of obsessed with that weapon / pero  ;)

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 09:58:06 am »
I can think of something for you. Do you want it to be Spear Throw per se, or just spear?

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 02:06:34 pm »
Hahah I see you are a builder addict just like me. Thanks, go ahead then, I ll be glad.

Spears are cool but the most attractive thing to me is that you can throw them. Sweep is also cool. All the blocking mechanic I kind of avoided since I don't usually stand there to get hit at all. What i did until now is this https://underrail.info/build/?HgcMBgkDAwYAwqAAwqAeADIALQAZWnhLWloAAABGAABWYjnClTAGPsKsK8KHS8KIADEWYcKzL07inY0H4qWKBeKzogPfvw

The idea was to double spear throw every turn, be permanently hasted and sprinted to pick the spear, and granades of course. Didn't get to play test past depot A, but I can do that with any build at this point that has quick tinker, so it does not prove its viability (spear throw crits are insane tho).

Another concept was str based with versatile shotguns (sweep - off balance - no evasion - good for shotty full auto). But ended up a little bit redundant (both short range weapons) and converted that into sniper / shotty, Wich is what I am currently playing.

But the spear build is still in my head, I know I will end up doing a playthrough with that, let's see what you got  8)

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 10:20:23 am »
https://underrail.info/build/?FAcMBggDAwYAbgBuHgAAAAAtNW5pRUNmAAAAAAAATy_CozkWME7ClT7Ck8KsJ0Xip4IC4rOOAuKzogHfvw

This is how I'd play it.

A half decent metal armour with Spear Guardian +2 means that all wild life except Psi Beetles won't do any damage to you. The same goes for most of the melee NPCs. For you this might not seem like a big deal, but you can focus on obtaining the Reef Glider from Expedition, and you can do so very early on as all the spiders won't be able to touch you if you craft a Bio-Hazard Metal Armour with a decent spear(their block amount increases with quality). The Strongmen will do some damage, but nothing you won't be able to handle. You can use various other secondary weapons to deal with them. AR and Acid Blob Pistols with Advanced Catalysing Belt, to name a few. You can do the Foundry quest line to open Expedition which will also be easy on that build and it will give you 150 + quality metal plates for Spears and Heavy Armour to start the Expedition.

With all that money I'd make a lot of Super Steel and craft a decent set, which can easily go over 90 % Physical Resistance. After that you pretty much enjoy the game. Note: You'd always have to eat Rathound Kebabs and Bison Milk. But how bad is that?

Some Pickpocket for the early game as it makes it really easy. You can use knives before getting a decent spear. You won't need Three-Pointer for the Foundry quest line, so you can pick it up a bit later.

Since the new changes on the Psi unless you go heavily into Temporal Manipulation, you won't get the desired results out.   
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 10:23:21 am by HulkOSaurus »

l0cus77

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 12:05:57 pm »
Interesting. I still didn't go with a tank in this game, should be cool for a change.

About recent psi changes and my previous posted build, it was designed before the change, but it shouldn't be a problem. Since you are using cd reduction with future orientation each turn, you can just cast another temporal contraction to counter the backfire effect, so technically shouldn't be a drawback even at 70 tm as long as you keep using cd reduction each turn, something you would still do if you want to double throw spear.

Anyway, just a concept, and as said before, totally bias towards mobile stealthy characters. When I finish current run I might be up for a change hehe.

Thanks for the post.

Space Coyote

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 07:33:26 pm »
Just looking through your guide (very nice and concise btw) I was noticing that all your gear is best quality. Do you have any tips or tricks on how to get high quality drops?

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 01:09:14 am »
Just looking through your guide (very nice and concise btw) I was noticing that all your gear is best quality. Do you have any tips or tricks on how to get high quality drops?

With Skinner on and using Infuse Leather and Super Steel Fiber you get the high tier leather armours. It takes some luck, but once you hit 2400 durability, you're good.

Foundry after resolving their problem will have 150 + quality metal plates at the entrance shop.

I usually fish for good firearm weapon parts from the Protectorate shop at Apogee as it's available very early on and quite reliable.

Oculus' shop can randomly have really good stuff.

The Coretech shop can randomly have good electronic parts.

Those are the ones you can open up earlier in the game, there are other place you can check like the Institute shops, but those are a bit late for my liking.

And Mercantile to 105 always.

DCFDTL

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 01:08:27 pm »
Would the build change much if I wanted to emphasize more on throwing knives and swapping the knife for a spear?

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 01:53:56 pm »
Personally I'd say yes.

You'd need more Strength and a few other Feats if you'd want to use a spear effectively.

DCFDTL

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 04:29:24 pm »
How would you go about it personally?

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 05:52:03 pm »
From the top of my head - forego Psi. The extra Will plus a point or two of Int will have to go to Strength. Weaponsmith for Impale, Premeditation for Spear Block, Hypertoxicity for Armour Sloping.