Author Topic: Does intimidation affect the chance for enemies to resist brutality?  (Read 3536 times)

Blackmill138

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
I'm curious, some enemies resist the fear affect from brutality, will their chance to resist be lower if I have higher intimidation?

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
Re: Does intimidation affect the chance for enemies to resist brutality?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 09:50:47 am »
Hey,

Resolve and fortitude will determine if they resist fear. I have "maxed" out intimidation and still 3/10 resist fear.

If your enemy has high a fortitude/resolve he/she will resist it pretty often. You can lower the resolve with "mental subversion" which is applied if you cast a thought control spell on them. (Like men. breakdown or a simple neur. overload.) And have the "mental subversion" feat.

-Azura
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

Blackmill138

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 03:54:21 pm »
Thanks. I guess I won't need to invest any further in intimidation. Though I was hoping that intimidation boosting items would make the chance more likely. I think with thought control the effective skill makes abilities like frighten and mental breakdown harder to resist.

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 07:53:51 am »
Hey,

Thanks. I guess I won't need to invest any further in intimidation. Though I was hoping that intimidation boosting items would make the chance more likely. I think with thought control the effective skill makes abilities like frighten and mental breakdown harder to resist.

Thought control skill only increases your damage and allows you to learn new abilities. Like enrage etc.
You could still invest a bit in intimidation to pass some intimidation skill checks.

-Azura
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

Blackmill138

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 11:24:53 pm »
Hey,

Thought control skill only increases your damage and allows you to learn new abilities. Like enrage etc.
You could still invest a bit in intimidation to pass some intimidation skill checks.

-Azura

Huh, okay. Then I'm confused because this is what the wiki says,

Attacks and status effects can be resisted (ie. completely avoided) with Dodge, Evasion, Fortitude or Resolve, depending on the attack's type. These four saving throws are checked against attacker's relevant skill, e.g. An attack with Frighten would test attacker's Thought Control vs. defender's Resolve to determine its duration.[2]

The base save chance of Resolve and Fortitude is 1 - attack skill / defense skill * 0.7 and it is capped between 5% and 75%. So relative to defense skill, about 135% attack skill minimizes the save chance and 35% maximizes it.

Is this incorrect?

If it is correct, what would be the attack skill when throwing a flashbang? That falls under the category of status effects that can be resisted with fortitude. I guess it would be your Throwing skill?

Blackmill138

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 08:29:25 am »
Hey,

-Azura

Huh, okay. Then I'm confused because this is what the wiki says,

Attacks and status effects can be resisted (ie. completely avoided) with Dodge, Evasion, Fortitude or Resolve, depending on the attack's type. These four saving throws are checked against attacker's relevant skill, e.g. An attack with Frighten would test attacker's Thought Control vs. defender's Resolve to determine its duration.[2]

The base save chance of Resolve and Fortitude is 1 - attack skill / defense skill * 0.7 and it is capped between 5% and 75%. So relative to defense skill, about 135% attack skill minimizes the save chance and 35% maximizes it.

Is this incorrect?

If it is correct, what would be the attack skill when throwing a flashbang? That falls under the category of status effects that can be resisted with fortitude. I guess it would be your Throwing skill?

The wiki is correct.
The attack skill for Brutality is Intimidation. It can be resisted with Resolve.
The attack skill for Flashbang is a virtual skill with base ability 14, level 10, 10+5 points invested per level. Equivalent to 111 skill. It can be resisted with Resolve. (However, Styg mentioned shortly before Expedition's release that he wanted to do something about grenades being too good with no throwing skill. So things like this might change in the near future.)

Thanks! But I don't totally understand what you said about Flashbangs. The virtual skill begins at 14 and grows by 5 points with each level up? At level 30 you would then have 159 virtual skill, so after the 0.7 multiplier, out comes the 111 you mentioned. Is that correct?

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 10:52:06 am »
Kinda makes the feat not all that attractive, since not only the 15% chance is low by itself, the enemy can resist it too.

Blackmill138

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 06:48:48 pm »
Kinda makes the feat not all that attractive, since not only the 15% chance is low by itself, the enemy can resist it too.

I found it to be pretty strong with a certain item. It let me handle large groups very differently. I could just run into 10 or more enemies, knowing that if I killed 2-3 of them, I probably wouldn't have to worry too much about the return fire for one turn. The AoE for the affect seems pretty large.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 08:18:27 pm »

I found it to be pretty strong with a certain item. It let me handle large groups very differently. I could just run into 10 or more enemies, knowing that if I killed 2-3 of them, I probably wouldn't have to worry too much about the return fire for one turn. The AoE for the affect seems pretty large.

What difficulty? I know that death grin increases the chances, but on hard and dominating enemies are generally stronger too and probably will resist it more often.

Blackmill138

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 05:53:08 am »

What difficulty? I know that death grin increases the chances, but on hard and dominating enemies are generally stronger too and probably will resist it more often.

I was playing on dominating. I basically took the feat for fighting against groups of 8+ enemies, where it was likely to have an effect, especially since I was playing with 3 CON and light armor. So when I say it was strong, I mean it was strong fighting against large groups, since I wasn't looking for it to be useful in other situations. After all, fights with fewer enemies were pretty easy.

Anyways, the feat was disappointing before I got Death's Grin. Or maybe my luck was poor. Either way, I stopped leveling Intimidation since I thought it wouldn't provide further benefit, so my effective skill (with Death's Grin) was only 105. I don't know if dominating raises enemy resolve. Maybe it does, but I was playing a sword/knife build, so it was pretty easy to kill 4-5 enemies each turn. And that meant 4-5 chances to apply fear so the feat felt pretty reliable against large groups.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 07:42:43 am »
I was playing on dominating. I basically took the feat for fighting against groups of 8+ enemies, where it was likely to have an effect, especially since I was playing with 3 CON and light armor. So when I say it was strong, I mean it was strong fighting against large groups, since I wasn't looking for it to be useful in other situations. After all, fights with fewer enemies were pretty easy.

Anyways, the feat was disappointing before I got Death's Grin. Or maybe my luck was poor. Either way, I stopped leveling Intimidation since I thought it wouldn't provide further benefit, so my effective skill (with Death's Grin) was only 105. I don't know if dominating raises enemy resolve. Maybe it does, but I was playing a sword/knife build, so it was pretty easy to kill 4-5 enemies each turn. And that meant 4-5 chances to apply fear so the feat felt pretty reliable against large groups.

Good to know, thanks for the info.