Author Topic: Help with Spear + Shield Build  (Read 8690 times)

Skoopodootle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Help with Spear + Shield Build
« on: July 22, 2019, 02:22:53 pm »
I'm planning on working with Iron Grip which allows one-handing spears with riot shields and focusing on blocking the vast majority of melee/melee damage.  But jeez theres so many perks and stat considerations, like while I will be blocking melee, ill be getting shot at in general, and I cant block bullets.. Would I be pumping attribute points into Strength as 11 is the baseline for the perk anyways?  Or would I split strength and dex to get bonuses to evasion so I dont get shot?  Keep constitution?  And what perks would be recommended to stay alive?

Im playing on normal, maybe hard, though I have a feeling this build will be tougher to play then my pure psi back in the day :P. Ive never built a melee character in the slightest, so Im just staring at the character builder in confusion.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Spear + Shield Build
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 05:59:00 pm »
If you're using a riot gear with shield, forget about dodge/evasion (which are keyed off agility, btw, not dex).  Unless it's the lightest gear/shield available, and even then you can't get the Nimble feat bonus so I wouldn't try to focus on that. 

Were I you, and keep in mind I haven't played a spear character yet, I would max strength, and have 6 agility for Sprint.  I would have enough dex and int for Cheap Shots at least.  That leaves just enough points for 7 con, which will allow you to take Juggernaut at some point (assuming you do decide to ignore dodge/evasion).  You might want 6 int at some point for Weaponsmith, but that's up to you. 

Strength 10, Dex 6, Agility 6, Constitution 7, Perception 3, Will 3, Intelligence 5.  Just enough at 1st level.  With 7 con, juggernaut, a vigorous belt, and a sturdy vest on your riot gear, you'll do just fine in HP, and with spear block/riot armor, you'll be blocking melee damage left and right.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Skoopodootle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Spear + Shield Build
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:05:25 pm »
If you're using a riot gear with shield, forget about dodge/evasion (which are keyed off agility, btw, not dex).  Unless it's the lightest gear/shield available, and even then you can't get the Nimble feat bonus so I wouldn't try to focus on that. 

Were I you, and keep in mind I haven't played a spear character yet, I would max strength, and have 6 agility for Sprint.  I would have enough dex and int for Cheap Shots at least.  That leaves just enough points for 7 con, which will allow you to take Juggernaut at some point (assuming you do decide to ignore dodge/evasion).  You might want 6 int at some point for Weaponsmith, but that's up to you. 

Strength 10, Dex 6, Agility 6, Constitution 7, Perception 3, Will 3, Intelligence 5.  Just enough at 1st level.  With 7 con, juggernaut, a vigorous belt, and a sturdy vest on your riot gear, you'll do just fine in HP, and with spear block/riot armor, you'll be blocking melee damage left and right.

Woopsie about dex, haven't played in awhile! :P Having played with it a bit, it feels pretty good, can't wait for some riot armor blueprints to show up to really get into it.  Thank you so much for clearing it up for me!! 

Doxy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile