Author Topic: Please help with shotgun build  (Read 11124 times)

Doxy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Please help with shotgun build
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:49:47 am »
Planning my 1st ever PT when expedition is out.
Thinking of going full shoty.
Any advice and corrections are highly welcome.
Also should i go heavy armor or light?
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgQGCAQOAwfCoGkAAMKgwqAAZFoAAFpLRjcAAAAAAGQAPDEowoPCsMKQwpbCjznCl0HCmEs7HsKkABbio7oF4rKwBOKztgLitIAE378
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 01:07:17 am by Doxy »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Please help with shotgun build
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 01:30:06 am »
I'll only speak to the armor question; I'll let the better gun build players weigh in on the build.  Shotguns benefit *hugely* from proper field placement, so you're really going to want mobility. Even with the 30MP from Sprint, you're going to want more movement points pretty frequently.  I'd avoid going full tin can if you really intend to be shotgun only.  OTOH, if you can find it in you to drop one of those feats and slip in Armor Sloping, you can build a very low armor penalty Super Steel suit, though for that you'd have to pull a few points from Hacking, Persuasion, and a bunch from Throwing (why so many, btw?) and drop them into Tailoring.

Doxy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 01:48:46 am »
though for that you'd have to pull a few points from Hacking, Persuasion, and a bunch from Throwing (why so many, btw?) and drop them into Tailoring.
New player don't really know the min/maxes too well for skills yet.
Will try to adjust.
Thanks for advice on SS armor, but it needs 8min STR, should i drop int(gun nut) to hit that req?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:04:52 am by Doxy »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 02:24:40 am »
Thanks for advice on SS armor, but it needs 8min STR, should i drop int(gun nut) to hit that req?

You want at least 8, because there are things that can lower your strength and that would cause you to be encumbered and lose action/move points.  However I think you're better off with a light set of armor for speed.

Gun nut is not a very good feat. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Faeren

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 03:22:28 am »
If a build can accomodate the Armor Sloping specialty and the new Bodyweight Training feat they could actually use Nimble with Supersteel Armor:
45% AP * 0.55 (-45% from Armor Aloping with specialization) = 24.75%, less 10% from Bodyweight Training and you're down to 14.75%, presumably rounded to 15% with Nimble dropping it to 0%.

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:25:37 am »
Stealth is very beneficial to shotties because you have to be almost in melee range to do any real damage. Trenchcoat is an obvious choice so you can roleplay as Detective Kimble.

Personally I wouldn't focus on shotties alone though. They pair really well with snipers so maybe consider going that route.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 06:59:16 am »
You need at least STR 5 to wield shotguns without a penalty.

Doxy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 01:52:29 pm »
Thanx all, i'll take all that into account when i'll build my char :D

Doxy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 03:34:58 pm »
K rethought and updated my build (T-800 Arny)
Should i bother with Temporal Manipulation -> Psycho-temporal Acceleration+Premeditation for AP buffs/debuffs
or just go with Blitz+Strider? // Blitz+Nimble with 5 spec points put into Armor Sloping?

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HggGCgUIAwbCoAAAAMKgwqAAAF8AAGRfAGJcAAAAAG4ASzE5KDvCg8KwHsKWwpDCj8KXRRVLwrEkR-KnggXisrAE4rO2At-_

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 04:15:55 am »
Just a heads-up... Armor Sloping spec just got changed. It got compressed from 5 to 2 ranks. Reload the page (Ctrl+F5 to force refresh.)
Great! Pretty much all the crafting specializations could use some compression, imho.

Now just awaiting Styg to finish revamping all the firearms sometime in 2021 so Gun Nut can become useful again...

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 04:52:47 am »
Now just awaiting Styg to finish revamping all the firearms sometime in 2021 so Gun Nut can become useful again...
Changelog 18 Mar 2021:
Gun Nut now only applies to guns which are made from nuts.
Nuts have been removed from UnderRail

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:27:16 am »
Think of shotguns like it's melee with a range of 3, or 4 in some cases, beyond this range shotguns quickly lose effectiveness.
So probably light armor and mobility is obvious choice, also you could possibly play with heavy metal armor - I repsonally just didn't try it, don't like to be a target.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 10:23:18 am »
Temporal: can cast the AP-boosting power with totally dumped base abilities and just 60-70 skill points or so, but harms your health 25%
Blitz: needs AGI 10, but no skill point investment

It's up to the build you're making, really. For some reason I was never really tempted to get AGI 10 in this game, it's nowhere near as important as in Fallout where 10 is almost mandatory, something the devs surely noticed.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 11:01:34 am »
Well, yeah, with TM it's not a mandatory, but still - if you want to squeeze every last bit of AP you will need it.

Faeren

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 07:19:46 am »
Also looking at a shotgun build as I'm not really enjoying a Machete build. The wiki states "5 to 6" strength is needed for shotguns, and 7 is required for Full Auto. How much strength should I take? I'm guessing Combat Shotguns have a req of 6 Strength, at which point I might as well just go for 7 and Full Auto, if not though and 6 is just for some specific ones I might look at saving the 2 stat points for elsewhere.

Additionally is it worth taking perfect scattering? I imagine with burst fire it would be a lot of extra damage with hoppershot, unsure if it's worth a feat though.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:27:06 am by Faeren »