Author Topic: I've played through the beginning so often  (Read 3043 times)

Mordre

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
I've played through the beginning so often
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:59:20 am »
An NPC that sells respecs would be more comfortable, don't you think?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: I've played through the beginning so often
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 10:55:13 am »
The biggest problem with that is a respec essentially allows your character to do it all.  There's no differentiation of builds if you can just be whatever build you like. Time to craft? Respec and craft amazing stuff, then drop that Int and all those skill points and put them back into Agi and Dodge/Evasion so nobody can touch you when you fight.  Beast fight up ahead and you're melee?  Respec into Psi and traps and never even let the waves of bladelings get close.

A one-time respec about the time you return the drill and open up the world?  That could probably be argued as a good idea, since new players seem to often comment that they don't understand or appreciate, during initial character creation, how important it is to keep a focused build.  But selling respecs?  I don't think you'll find a lot of support for that idea here, from forum users or even from the devs.  Part of the design philosophy is that UnderRail should be a slightly different game for different character builds, and to be honest, I think a lot of us really like that.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 12:40:14 pm »
A one time respec sounds reasonable.

Mordre

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 02:05:55 pm »
The biggest problem with that is a respec essentially allows your character to do it all.  There's no differentiation of builds if you can just be whatever build you like. Time to craft? Respec and craft amazing stuff, then drop that Int and all those skill points and put them back into Agi and Dodge/Evasion so nobody can touch you when you fight.  Beast fight up ahead and you're melee?  Respec into Psi and traps and never even let the waves of bladelings get close.

A one-time respec about the time you return the drill and open up the world?  That could probably be argued as a good idea, since new players seem to often comment that they don't understand or appreciate, during initial character creation, how important it is to keep a focused build.  But selling respecs?  I don't think you'll find a lot of support for that idea here, from forum users or even from the devs.  Part of the design philosophy is that UnderRail should be a slightly different game for different character builds, and to be honest, I think a lot of us really like that.

All of that would be balanced by the respec having a very high price.
Alternatively, how about being able to create more than one character in the same world, and then switching between them? One of them could be used as a "crafting mule", making armor for everybody, but you'd still have to level that guy up to have good crafting skills first.

I'm brainstorming here. An NPC selling respects at a very high price would do just fine in my opinion.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 02:13:37 pm »
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3046.msg15959#msg15959

There are many reasons it won't be implemented. Respeccing undermines the very foundation of the RPG. Mistakes and imperfections are part of the experience.

Mordre

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 05:45:52 am »
There are many reasons it won't be implemented. Respeccing undermines the very foundation of the RPG. Mistakes and imperfections are part of the experience.
A player who enjoys the game but is new to it will follow that rule for the first playthrough, maybe the second as well. And then they'll go look on the Internet for builds so they stop screwing up.
Underrail is too min-max focused to not have a respec option, in my opinion.

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 10:49:38 am »
I think full respec is a little extreme, but maybe paying a hefty cost (20k+ charons) to reassign 2 attribute points and 4 perks or so could work. Maybe introduce an underground lab full of deadly critters that you first have to clear before you can undergo the operation.

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 01:43:56 pm »
An NPC that sells respecs would be more comfortable, don't you think?
NO!  Ugh!  Geez.

tyrtix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 12:00:23 pm »
respec of a talent and a handful of skill points each level gained may be a good way to "fix" the build problems.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 12:53:21 pm »
respec of a talent and a handful of skill points each level gained may be a good way to "fix" the build problems.
However small a respec it still lets you "cheat" with regard to crafting.

tyrtix

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 03:11:28 pm »
ah yes, that's true indeed, crafting feats will be abused by respec.

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 02:35:42 am »
No. Respecs have no place in serious RPGs.