Author Topic: Dev Log #51: New Weapon Types  (Read 22141 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #51: New Weapon Types
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:11:41 pm »
Hi guys. In the past few months we've been working (and we're still working) on a couple of major features for the expansion, but we didn't want to show any of them before they were ready. First of these that are now done are the new weapons, so without further ado I give you the three new weapon types - the spear, the machete and the shotgun.

The choice of spear and machete as new weapons was mostly thematic (you will learn why in some later dev log), but these weapons will also have their own place in the melee arsenal. Spears are meant to be versatile offensive and defensive weapons, while machetes are meant to be high risk-high reward weapons that will rely on the user keeping up the offensive. More on the exact mechanics of this will be revealed later when I get to implementing their specific feats. There are two types of machetes that differ slight in critical chance/damage stats.

Now the interesting one of the bunch is the shotgun. I say this because the mechanics of the shotgun are unlike anything else that we had in the game so far when it comes to weapons. When a shotgun is fired it launches a number of pellets that may hit the intended target, some other target in the attack cone or might miss completely. So the chance to hit with the shotgun is not so much indicative of weather or not you'll inflict damage on the enemy, but how much of the damage you launch their way is going to land on the primary target.

I'm going to give you some random shotgun stats below, but keep in mind that this has not be properly balance tested and that before we get a chance to play around with this new weapon a bit it's hard to gauge it's effectiveness and what the numbers should be in order for it to fit into the role intended for it. There is a lot of factors that come into play here depending on the situation and it will take some time to make sure they perform as expected at different ranges (medium, close and point blank) and against different enemies (low armor/high armor). By the way, pay attention to the interaction with the different ammo types when considering the raw damage stat.

I've also implemented the ability for weapons (and gear in general) to grant you special attacks and abilities so expect more of that in the future.

The process of adding these new weapons took a long time because we had to change the way we handled animations of all the different human models and it required a lot of manual labor to get things in order. However, now that we have done this, it will allow us to add more new weapons in the future (not in this DLC, though), to which we are rather looking forward to. I'm not gonna lie, we already know what weapons we want to add in the future, so just keep that in mind when you're posting your wishes.

Anyway, let us know what you think of the new weapons.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #51: New Weapon Types
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 06:46:55 pm »
Interesting! One thing that immediately jumps out though, is that there seems to be at least two different shotgun models. Are there going to be new graphics for the old weapon types as well?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 07:02:39 pm »
Interesting! One thing that immediately jumps out though, is that there seems to be at least two different shotgun models. Are there going to be new graphics for the old weapon types as well?

One is for regular and the other for combat shotgun. We won't be adding extra graphics for different models of the same weapon type/subtype, but we have made new graphics for chemical and energy pistols to distinguish them as they are categories unto themselves.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 07:11:21 pm »
Ok. Heh, I was kinda hoping you'd redone the assault rifle animations, because for reasons unknown I greatly dislike the hip-fire style shooting. Oh well. :D

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:01:31 pm »
Unique graphics for energy and chem guns, hmm, nice.

Fjodik

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 09:50:35 pm »
Hey Styg, great to see some more content for expansion. Honestly, shotgun looks awesome, hopefully many components may be assembled to it. Is shotgun intended to be a solo weapon, I mean can we use only the shotgun in the whole game or it is rather complementary gun for specific circumstances?

As for the spear and machete I do not know whether these fit in the game lore well, but we shall see.

Last but not least, still on track for 1H/2017? It would be great if you could keep monthly updates regarding the new content and other stuff.

Thank you for your work.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 10:22:02 pm »
*sees "shotguns" and "Underrail" in the same Dev Log*

THIS. CHANGES. EVERYTHING!

I never thought I would see the day! I recall you mentioning long ago how difficult it would be to implement shotguns and other new weapon types into the game, since you would have to change the fundamentals of all the animations. I am amazed and beyond impressed that you actually went through all of that labor just for these new weapons (and others in the future). You guys really are the best! :D

I love the versatility you have added to shotguns; the different pellet types allow shotguns to function well at various ranges, a fact that I think will really make them popular choices for all situations.

The new melee weapons are fascinating additions. My favorite part has to be the fact that I can now play as a futuristic legionnaire with some shielded riot gear and a spear. Viva la Roma! :D

The addition of special attacks to certain weapons I think is an excellent idea. I imagine that the unique weapons will carry some pretty interesting attacks, no?

Lastly, I cannot wait to see what feats you add for the new weapons (alongside the awesome Veteran Feats). So many potential builds, so little time!

Excellent work as always, you guys! <3

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 10:42:09 pm »
Time to role-play a Spear-machete Maiden clad in Super Steel Armor, Sorry Balor's hammer, you got replaced. Can't wait for the Unique variations.

scotfree9001

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 05:11:24 am »
This game took up most of my hours of gaming in 2016

And now to hear it is coming out with expansion or dlc is the best new I've gotten all day. I can't wait to roll a new character with the new weapons in the dlc. I can't finally make Shedder from TMNT.

Thx Styg, keep up the good work

Firestalker

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 07:10:23 am »
Looks great, looking forward to it. Keep up the good work. Is there already a release date?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:01:33 am by Firestalker »

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 03:04:43 pm »
Seems this expansion will be a lot more than I expected. Not that I'm complaining, quite the opposite.

I'm kinda worried about how the special abilites granted by weapons will affect the game balance though. It seems like something that can easily conflict with the design of the base game. For example, the shotgun burst ability is basically the Rapid Fire feat. Doesn't that render the feat a little redundant?

I'm also a little worried shotguns will end up too similar to assault rifles. In both cases the defining feature is the ability to shoot a lot of projectiles at once, hitting multiple targets or dealing a lot of damage up close. I like the various shotgun shell types, it's definetly something that can set them apart and make them more unique. I hope there will be slugs as well.

The addition of special attacks to certain weapons I think is an excellent idea. I imagine that the unique weapons will carry some pretty interesting attacks, no?
I hope so as well. Sadly as it is now, to me almost all unique weapons are not really that unique and simply inferior to crafted weapons in every way, and even if they do have unique effects they are usually underwhelming. There are exceptions to this, especially the unique unarmed weapons, but they are exceptions.

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 06:02:23 pm »
We're going to need some new Arena matches to make proper use of these weapons also. Maybe a couple new guys that sometimes swap out for others?

Or maybe Carnifex gets a makeover and swings a machete...

I agree with the other guy that this is a lot! If you'd have split all this content up and sold it as 2 expansions I would have bought both. Anyway, looks great.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 08:23:27 pm »
Is shotgun intended to be a solo weapon, I mean can we use only the shotgun in the whole game or it is rather complementary gun for specific circumstances?
You'll definitely be able to use it as your primary damage dealer, like other types of guns. Keep in mind, however, that all damage sources in Underrail are meant to have certain weaknesses that in some extreme (or not that extreme situations) might render the weapon very ineffective.

I'm also a little worried shotguns will end up too similar to assault rifles. In both cases the defining feature is the ability to shoot a lot of projectiles at once, hitting multiple targets or dealing a lot of damage up close.
This should not be the case. For one, the shotgun's effectiveness against single target drops rapidly with distance (precision drops quickly and the cone of attack is big), which is not so much the case with assault rifles.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 11:52:31 pm »
Just for curiosity, does the shotgun shells will have only one unique ammo variant (acid, shock, incendiary rounds) or they will have more than one?

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 02:04:50 am »
I did not feel the need for new weapon, but still eagerly awaiting expansion!
We will become pirates! )
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:13:05 am by Fenix »