Author Topic: Solved: Can't start game - "No suitable graphics card found" ?!?  (Read 9963 times)

Shai

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Edited: Solved minutes later. See next post.

I had purchased Underrail via a steam, but only played for a few hours. Some time passed, and today I wanted to play again. Yet when trying to run the game, I received a long error message. The related actions I have taken are annotated in colour.

No suitable graphics card found.
I updated the drivers for both Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and for NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.
Could not find a direct3D device that supports the XNA framework.
I reinstalled both .NET Framework 4 and XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0.
Verify that a suitable graphics card is installed.
Make sure that the desktop is not locked, and that no other applications is running in full screen mode.
Avoid running under a remote desktop or as a windows service.
Check the display properties to make sure hardware acceleration is set to Full. <-- I'm not clear on whether this is a problem for me? Btw, I'm running Window's 8 and can't find the option to turn it on.
I have also made sure that Windows Media Player is installed and a windows feature.
I have also verified "the integrity of game cache" in steam.
I have also restarted after all of the above and also tried running the game explicitly as Administrator.

I will be grateful for any help. Would like to be able to play Underrail again!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:41:39 am by Shai »

Shai

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Can't start game - "No suitable graphics card found" ?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:40:22 am »
Argh. Solved!

Sheer minutes after posting I accidented a fix! Argh - after stumbling through registration, copying error texts, and ensuring that I've taken all reasonable steps already, and then finally posting too!

Here's what it took this fool: In NVIDIA Control Panel, I changed "Preferred graphics processor" from the default "Autoselect" to "High performance NVIDIA processor".

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Personally, I could not find anyone posting the same experience I had with Underrail (although there are cases out there for other games), so there's reason for me to hope.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Solved: Can't start game - "No suitable graphics card found" ?!?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:20:01 am »
My respect for trying all those things, that shows dedication!
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Shai

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Solved: Can't start game - "No suitable graphics card found" ?!?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:43:25 pm »
My respect for trying all those things, that shows dedication!
Haha thanks  8)

On one hand I was stymied by the absence of identical reports, but on the other I just had to believe that there must be a solvable cause, no matter how obtuse or absurd.