Author Topic: Killing Cave Hoppers?  (Read 7407 times)

MD

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Killing Cave Hoppers?
« on: July 16, 2014, 01:37:36 am »
I know how to capture them, have caught 3 for Big Bret. What I'd like to know is if there is a way to kill them.
I can't seem to do this when I have one cornered. I've tried to use my fists, a knife, hammer, bow and gun but when I click on any type of weapon or just my fist icon I'm unable to get it to attack them the way I would any other creature or person. Is this a bug or am I doing this wrong?

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Killing Cave Hoppers?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 02:53:54 am »
supposedly clicking on the attack icon and clicking on them should work. I've killed cave hoppers before and basicly wasted a net on them because of them. Not as much of a problem now, but I hated it before when you could actually sell captured cavehoppers for 50 credits. It was just an easy way to make 100 extra credits on that mission, but now it's a waste since you can't get any money for it.

If all you need is some meat to give to the other guy fishing, in the base on the cafeteria level on there is a room with 2 meat stored there.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:21:05 am »
You mean in the junkyard? Cause the guy who asks you for cave hoppers SHOULD buy them but he doesn't...

I hope the next update whnever it comes brings the option to have merchants buy it all and preferably to remove carrying capacity too. Kinda grumpy with not being able to play the game in it's current state (ok i can but I don't enjoy it in the least).

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:20:49 pm »
Yeah a mod would be good. I do know I'm missing a lot but there isn't much I can do about it and I've tried a few times. But every time I complete the first mission, get back to the base and can't sell half of my stuff from between things that absolutly no one wants to limits of the amount that merchants buy, it just makes me want to flip a table. it also kills any wishs to explore all the new places. All that i would gain is XP, which while not bad, is not incentive enough for me to explore. I need to get all those items and be able to sell them in order to feel like my exploration is rewarded.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 03:11:52 pm »
Though would you sell them for?
I regularly find merchants running out of money from the midgame on.
A decent Rifle goes for up to 10k.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 04:10:21 pm »
If the game doesn't has enough money after a certain point, that is yet another problem of the game. Merchants should have unlimited amount of money! I'd also like for money stacks not to have a limit. There shouldn't be a need to limit the stacks to 999. Sure it would give a little bit more work to actually make the money stacks go up to an unlimited number but hey, it's not like it would be that hard and it would greatly improve inventory clutter.

MD

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 04:47:17 pm »
Wow, my simple question turned into a totally different discussion :o
Anyway, I just wanted to gain some xps and possibly sell the meat those little guys drop to someone that wanted it. Yes I did give some meat to the fisherman to help him catch his eels, but I just can't seem to kill those hoppers no matter what I try. My Psi won't work on them, my weapons wont work on them. I can't even punch one with my fists! If I get one of those hoppers cornered I can't click on my weapons or on the critter and preform any action.

BTW, what's an invoker, and how do I use that to kill these guys?

It seems silly that just because it's a peaceful animal I can't just come up and kill it. I see this senseless killing in all the other games I've played, ppl running up and killing chickens, bunnies, even puppies! There is no xp for doing it but they do it just for the chuckles I guess, only they're the only one getting a chuckle out if it  >:(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:49:20 pm by MD »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 01:24:37 am »
You normally just choose an attack, like by pressing 1 or F and then picking it, and click on the hopper.
I never had the problem you describe.
Melee attacks might pose a problem in a few rare cases, though, due to pathing.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

MD

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 05:59:44 am »
I give up!  >:(
For the life of me I've tried every which way and still can't catch those hoppers. I can't get the net to activate, it's just red and I'm unable to throw it, equip it or use it out of inventory. I can't even get close enough to catch them with the cage, I can't tranquilize one, I can't go stealth and sneak up on them. This is the most frustrating thing I've had to do in this game and frankly I'm exhausted and feel quite stupid trying over and over for the 100th time to no avail. This is just  ridiculously frustrating . No matter what anyone has suggested I've tried and then some and I still can't catch them.

Zephyros

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:22:56 am »
Stand on the wall just north of the first crevice near the entrance to Mushroom Cave. If you are out of sight, hoppers will eventually come out to eat from the mushrooms. Run up to them and as soon as you are a step away, initiate combat and then use your action points to kill* them.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:18:24 am »
As for the nets, you put them into your quickactionslots on the left of the inventory.
Hoppers will come out of the crevice, even if your standing right next to it (not before it).
If they do, immediately enter combat (not attack, just enter combat)
You can even try to catch them with the box without a net first, if that doesn't work, use the net.
If you miss both, step before the crevice. Wait for the hopper to run away.
Step aside, often(not always) they come back, and often(not always) they don't quite make it, and you can repeat that until your next net is ready.
I'd say a to-hit chance of 50% on the nets is really good already.
If you stand right next to the crevice, sometimes hoppers will immediately turn around and somehow fail, so you have a single try to box or net them before even entering combat.

Obviously, the same approach gives you multiple tried to hit them with something.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:42:47 pm by UnLimiTeD »

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 11:47:36 am »
Yeah you need to enter combat and move as lose as possible before using the net. That way they wont get away before it's their turn. It's still a bit frustating because the chances to land a net are really low unless your character has points into throwing. My gunner/grenadier actually landed almost all nets.