Author Topic: Companions?  (Read 8467 times)

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Companions?
« on: September 05, 2012, 05:54:55 am »
I wonder if it would be possible to get some NPC companions... in the likes of Fallout with their own questlines and aims. Wondering wasteland (or really any environment) alone is pretty boring for me. I don't know how the sneaking bits could be made... but it would be a really big plus for adding such feature.

Is it possible? :)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Companions?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:47:46 am »
No, the game is designed with single character in mind and the engine doesn't currently support multiple playable character either.

Perhaps in some other game in the future. ;)

Tnoyce

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:27:31 am »
That works for me. Personally, I prefer single-player myself.

Lotus_Eater

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 09:16:28 am »
No, the game is designed with single character in mind and the engine doesn't currently support multiple playable character either.

Perhaps in some other game in the future. ;)

I don't think he meant them to be "playable".He meant fallout-like companions.They just follow you and shoot stuff,and you have minimum control on them (like changing their equipment or tactics.)

hillman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:24 pm »
What about companions like Dogmeat in fallout 1 (or 2, I can't remember)?  I.e., an NPC that follows you around - part of your "party" - and aids you in combat.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »
The problem with Fallout was that the companions were scripted (not programmed) which made them do a lot of funkeh stuff. Fully programmed companions would be a great addition though I can imagine it being a hard thing to pull off. (or at least time consuming.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 08:41:37 pm »
No, sorry, not in this game.

cane

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:38:49 am »
Lack of companions is a shame, lost half my interest right there. It does feel a bit ridiculous running around solo killing so much, at least in Fallout you had a few companions to help you out. Here it's so easy to go from 100% to 0% health when you run into a pack of bandits killing you in one turn.

JediaKyrol

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 09:31:32 pm »
NoNo...No Companions...I don't need another Ian shooting me in the back or pinning me into a corner refusing to move and forcing me to reload.  Though using psi-powers to temporarily brain-jack somone and make them shoot their friends...that I can get behind!

WolveNZ

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Good Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:07:33 pm »
The current system does allow for Allies to help out, I was in the GMS compound on my last playthough, ran out of ammo, ran away from a 'hound and back down the corridor that runs past the vault. Gorksy ran out into the corridor and killed the thing. So you can have allies helping you, so your not always alone.

it would be nicer though to have in parts like that, an AI ally to maybe patrol around a bit inside the compound, or at least walk over to the elevator, giving you the impression that the AI isnt just utterly dumb

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 01:03:11 am »
it would be nicer though to have in parts like that, an AI ally to maybe patrol around a bit inside the compound, or at least walk over to the elevator, giving you the impression that the AI isnt just utterly dumb

I like that. It would actually be pretty cool if there was like a battle between the main factions in junkyard that you can participate in, and the faction that you decide to help will act as your ally during that battle, giving things a bit more fleshyness and life. Right now, everyone seem so stodgy.

WolveNZ

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Good Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 05:43:46 am »
yea, I was expecting something like that to happen at some stage of the game, although a fair while after your first visit there though.