Author Topic: Dev Log #28: Energy Shields  (Read 20248 times)

Prophet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #28: Energy Shields
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 02:12:15 pm »
  • Tranquility - reworked: now reduces AP cost of all psi abilities by 10 while the invoker is at full health
I'm wondering if you really meant 10 APs or 10%? Using Neural Overload 6 times during turn could be OP.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 04:17:38 pm »
  • Tranquility - reworked: now reduces AP cost of all psi abilities by 10 while the invoker is at full health
I'm wondering if you really meant 10 APs or 10%? Using Neural Overload 6 times during turn could be OP.

Fair point there. I thought telekinectic punch could become OP with 100% extra damage but neural overlaod 6 times in a turn can be very much OP. I rarelly used the spells in the past because it was the least damaging and didn't applied a debuff I cared much for on the enemy but it still deals a decent damage. But if you can cast it 6 times it's way too much damage. Especially if you add premeditation making you cast an extra spell for free, that's a potential opener of 7 spells... Rather painful.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 07:15:02 pm »
I've been very generous when buffing the old feats. My primary goal with this is to make these feats a valid choice again first and then we'll worry about toning them down if necessary, possibly even before the new version is released.

MartinDown

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 04:11:47 am »
I'm SO excited to use a shield and see how it can work with different builds! - But I do have one question... who sells them? or do I have to make one as the almighty Styg mentioned?

Sakuragi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 07:21:27 am »

Fair point there. I thought telekinectic punch could become OP with 100% extra damage but neural overlaod 6 times in a turn can be very much OP. I rarelly used the spells in the past because it was the least damaging and didn't applied a debuff I cared much for on the enemy but it still deals a decent damage. But if you can cast it 6 times it's way too much damage. Especially if you add premeditation making you cast an extra spell for free, that's a potential opener of 7 spells... Rather painful.

On Crit my neural overload does 190+ damage. Normal 100+.
While buffed, on crit would reach 400+. normal 200+.
But bilocation would be a monster now if like Styg said resistance has been fixed. Right now its 22-44 damage for me. 66-136 damage (three attacks) per turn for 4 turns. Now double it when it is buffed and so 132-272 damage per turn for 4 turns (Humanoid boss killer).   

But yeah 6 times Neural overload would be way too much but Styg gotta have a look at them first or us.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 04:44:29 am »
I have a couple of thoughts and suggestion about update and game. Don't know where should I post it, mayby "Suggestion"?

screeg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 04:47:21 pm »
Energy shields sound rad, but I'm not crazy about the graphic since it completely obscures your character.  I personally would rather see just a glowing circle on the ground, or the same sphere but at 10% opacity, or best of all a sphere that becomes opaque when it's hit, then fades out again.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 05:37:01 pm »
Energy shields sound rad, but I'm not crazy about the graphic since it completely obscures your character.  I personally would rather see just a glowing circle on the ground, or the same sphere but at 10% opacity, or best of all a sphere that becomes opaque when it's hit, then fades out again.

It does become less transparent when it's hit.

Kadze

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:49 pm »
May be i missed this, but does shield on make  player less stelthy or not? Such an illumination must totally make visible.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 07:51:56 am »
May be i missed this, but does shield on make  player less stelthy or not? Such an illumination must totally make visible.

It doesn't influence stealth.

Zephyros

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 09:24:48 am »
Guys, I have a question regarding energy shields. I have a shield capacitor which brings the rate of dissipation down to 2% from 10%. Does this mean that, each turn, an energy shield with this upgrade will consume 1/5th the power a regular energy shield does?

I've been looking at the three types of enhancements available, and it seems like two are quite useful for different situations, but the third (circular wave amplifier) is gimped by the fact that any extra damage it can absorb is counteracted by the halved capacity. The other two enhancements grant a boon without a drawback.

Oh, and I remember reading somewhere that shields could not be charged in combat, however I am able to use a battery every turn to renew my shield.

Zephyros

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 02:18:50 am »
Guys, I have a question regarding energy shields. I have a shield capacitor which brings the rate of dissipation down to 2% from 10%. Does this mean that, each turn, an energy shield with this upgrade will consume 1/5th the power a regular energy shield does?

I've been looking at the three types of enhancements available, and it seems like two are quite useful for different situations, but the third (circular wave amplifier) is gimped by the fact that any extra damage it can absorb is counteracted by the halved capacity. The other two enhancements grant a boon without a drawback.

Oh, and I remember reading somewhere that shields could not be charged in combat, however I am able to use a battery every turn to renew my shield.

A few months late, but I finally got around working on the wiki :P I tried to explain the nomenclature of shield emitters in the Shield Emitter page. 2% dissipation rate means the shield loses 2% of its total capacity every turn it's active.

Circular wave amplifiers have their uses. They are good for characters that deal more burst damage and are more vulnerable to burst damage since they last for a shorter time, but can mitigate larger hits.

Recharging shields is combat is a bug. How did you do it? I can't seem to reproduce that.

It's probably because I am using an old save.

Edit: Nope, it works on my current save as well. In combat, I can right click the battery, select the 'recharge item' icon and affix it to the shield generator.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:22:02 am by Zephyros »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 08:24:03 am »
There was a bug where you could recharge the shield during combat. We fixed it and I think it works correctly in the live version.

Zephyros

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 02:12:12 pm »
It's probably because I am using an old save.

Edit: Nope, it works on my current save as well. In combat, I can right click the battery, select the 'recharge item' icon and affix it to the shield generator.

Nope, cannot reproduce.

Does the shield actually have "Cannot be recharged in combat" property?
Are you playing version 0.1.11.0 rather than 0.1.11.1?
Are you sure you're actually In Combat? You can recharge them in turn-based mode, but not in combat. You know, locked in turn-based mode with enemies around and that red crosshair icon on your portrait.

I made a new save and it does seem to be disabled. I guess the 'current' save I was using is actually an old one :X My mistake.