Author Topic: Ambush - Is This Thing On?  (Read 7065 times)

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Ambush - Is This Thing On?
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:41:30 am »
I got the feat Ambush because I felt that it would contribute to my crit pistol build... and I've seen my character take a shot and the word "Ambush" appear all of once... and the opponent didn't even appear to be in a lit environment.

What causes the word Ambush to appear? Does it appear whenever I shoot anything that's illuminated when I'm in shadows? Does it appear when I get a crit under the same circumstances? Does it only appear when the bonus crit chance brought about by Ambush is the deciding factor for the crit?

Do Mindshrooms count for illumination for this feat? They certainly seem to illuminate the area around them.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
Re: Ambush - Is This Thing On?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:16 am »
You get ambush from shooting an illuminated enemy from the shadows, even if you're detected. I've noticed inconsistency with the feat as well, it's hard to tell what is a shadow and what is an illuminated area and where the distinction is made.

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:50:04 pm »
Yeah, atm I'm going out of my way to shoot illuminated people from a less-lit position...

It's totally inconsistent. It didn't say Ambush at all, and this wasn't even a temporary light (Mindshroom).

I'd like for a dev to clarify that we have the right idea of Ambush and that I'm not totally misunderstanding something- but I'm probably going to post a thread in Bugs soon.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 06:21:56 pm »
Perhaps there could be an indicator on the cursor whether certain feats will work with the shot. Like: "95% - (ambush)"

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:07:45 pm »
Perhaps there could be an indicator on the cursor whether certain feats will work with the shot. Like: "95% - (ambush)"

Yeah, or when the cursor changes to a targeting reticle there could be a small icon near it.

-

Okay, after playing a bit further and specifically paying attention, I can clarify that Ambush does seem work with the oval-shaped lights. I haven't seen it work with Mindshrooms' illumination, Surveillance Monitors light or an Oil Lamp.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:14:48 pm by bushwhacker2k »

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 07:10:14 am »
The best way would be to rework the light system so that it was always easy to identify whether or not the target will be passive of the ambush feat.

A work around that would give less work to the devs would be to just make ambush work so long the target is in a iluminated square and you are in a completly dark square.

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 06:28:17 pm »
Thank you, Epeli, I didn't realize 'Direct Light' meant more than just being illuminated.

This probably explains why I have generally have so little luck with it.

Though on the flip side, I'm actually pretty sure I got an Ambush on an enemy that appeared to be in the same level of illumination as me- I'll have to retest that.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 06:33:51 am »
The overall illumination of the target is what counts, regardless of the source(s) or color of the light (though colored lights provide less overall illumination).

I agree it's sometimes hard to tell if the ambush will trigger so I might add the suggested indicator when targeting.

DemoneNero

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:38:48 pm »
Sorry to dig up this old topic :( .
If I use an incendiary bolt does it count as illumination when it hits the target?
thanks in advance

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 08:37:14 am »
If it would, that'd be rather genius.  :P
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 02:04:02 pm »
It does with pyro pistol so there's no reason it should not with pyro bolts.

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 03:44:52 pm »
The overall illumination of the target is what counts, regardless of the source(s) or color of the light (though colored lights provide less overall illumination).

I agree it's sometimes hard to tell if the ambush will trigger so I might add the suggested indicator when targeting.
Please do. Those of us with less than perfect eyesight have problems with the subtle gradients of light in the game.

Bjorn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 08:51:21 pm »
Regarding Pyro Bolts/Fire Arrows shot from Crossbows, I just did a quick test. I am running Version 1.0.1.10
Shooting the fire arrow did NOT give enough illumination to count as Ambush.
Shooting a fire arrow, that then puts target on fire, so that he is literally burning alive. STILL does NOT count as enough for illumination for Ambush.
Subject was in a fairly dark area, so MAYBE it can still work, if the target is already somewhat illuminated, further tests could be done on this. But counting on the fire arrows alone for Ambush, nope!

BUT... dont give up on Ambush just yet. You can use Fire Grenades to illuminate for the Ambush, and this works very well. Just make sure to keep enough distance from the fire, that your own character is still in the dark. In tight spaces you CAN use flares, but doesnt work nearly as well.
My current character is a Crossbow Build which does NOT use traps. 0 points in trap skills. Instead it relies purely on Ambush for doing critical damage. (of course combined with the relevant critical feats). So far I have been having fun with it.
I might do a post describing the build, since it is a bit alternative way of making a Crossbow build, for those who are interested in an alternate type of crossbow build. (though you COULD do combined Ambush and Trapper Crossbow build if you really wanted.)

Bjorn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 08:44:03 pm »
Oy... Correction to my above Post!

I just managed to do an "Ambush" on a target which was primarily illuminated, because it was "on fire". So perhaps it might work, but I would need to test it more to be sure.
Though not reliable enough to be useful I think... Better just throw a incendiary grenade, works (almost) every time.

CriminalChris

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 11:32:35 am »
The thought just occured to me... Do you think Guardians of the Galaxy's, Groot  as an adolescent or prepubescent walked around repetitiously saying "I AmBush"?  ??? :-\