Author Topic: Shooting Mines  (Read 4271 times)

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Shooting Mines
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:00:56 am »
The ability to shoot mines the same way you can explosive barrels would be nice.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Shooting Mines
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 08:44:02 am »
No. Mine launcher would be OP!

j/k

It makes sense to add this. But it's kind of double edged sword, since AI could just shoot mines set by players making them quite useless. And mines are already lacking (because mines + TB is really unfortunate combination).

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 03:20:17 pm »
No. Mine launcher would be OP!

j/k

Grenade launcher, interesting idea. :D

It makes sense to add this. But it's kind of double edged sword, since AI could just shoot mines set by players making them quite useless. And mines are already lacking (because mines + TB is really unfortunate combination).

Do enemy AI's shoot explosive barrels? I've never seen that before.

I don't know what TB stands for so I couldn't follow what you were trying to tell me here, even after checking the link.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 03:57:28 pm »
I didn't see AI shooting barrels. But barrels belong to noone while player's mines belong to the player. AI could be programmed to take this into account.

TB means Turn Based (combat).
And that's the heart of the problem:
First enemy comes in and dies, all others move through and ignore it. Realisticly they all should be moving at the same time  and once once steped overit him and his palls should all take the damage...

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 04:52:41 pm »
I didn't see AI shooting barrels. But barrels belong to noone while player's mines belong to the player. AI could be programmed to take this into account.

If they aren't going to shoot explosive barrels to take advantage of them I don't see why they'd shoot mines to take advantage.

TB means Turn Based (combat).
And that's the heart of the problem:
First enemy comes in and dies, all others move through and ignore it. Realisticly they all should be moving at the same time  and once once steped overit him and his palls should all take the damage...

I think that's more a generalized mine problem than having to do with the ability to shoot mines. I think bear traps fix a lot of the problems that mines had before.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 06:45:59 pm »

If they aren't going to shoot explosive barrels to take advantage of them I don't see why they'd shoot mines to take advantage.
I meant AI could be programmed in the future, after shooting mines is implemented (if it will ever be). They could start shooting barrels as well.

Someone may ask why AI isn't already shooting barrels (if this is the case, but let's claim it is). Well, barrels are few, and can not be repositioned, so making AI shoot barrels could be too low priority. Mines are more common and players can place them wherever they want so devs may consider adding shooting barrels to AI too.

I'm not against shooting mines, i just don't want my enemies to do it :P
But let's wait for developer's opinion.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:58:38 am »
AI already disarms/avoids mines it can detect, so AI shooting player mines wouldn't be much of a problem.
It can disarm but not in combat (unless it cheats, because player can't).
It can avoid mines but it is often beneficial to the player: instead of 1 enemy blowing off the mine leaving his buddies unharmed, whole group will gather around a mine, making them perfect target for a grenade (that will detonate mine).

As for mines lacking, I disagree. Note that the thread hilf linked to is quite old and many downsides of mines/traps have been addressed since. (Cheaper crafting, more trap types, more trapper feats, more supporting items.)
It's nice mines are getting some love, I especially like trapping feats. But it's not like they are cheaper/more damaging than grenades. They are also heavier.

Of course the sequential nature of turn-based combat remains, but that just means you have to plan your trap setup to work in turn-based rather than in real-time.
This is a workaround and also pain in the ass :( (needs save&load and lots of predicting movement paths). Nothing else suffers from game being turn based as much as mines. Grenades even benefit from TB - it's easier to hit stationary targets than moving ones.

I'd like to see something that helps to mitigate the problem, like mines with detonators that go boom only when detonator is used or from explosions.