Author Topic: Rework pickpocketing  (Read 3933 times)

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Rework pickpocketing
« on: June 04, 2014, 03:54:17 pm »
I did a test of pickpocketing and i don't quite like the system in its current state. This is what i did:

1. Found a victim with hypo, stygian coins and bullets in his inventory.
2. Raised my pickpocketing to 40 (74).
3. Stole stygian coins. It raised suspicion bar to 80%. I can't steal anything more, because it raises bar over 100%.
4. Raised my pickpocketing to 80 (154).
5. Tried to pickpocket other items and realized i still can't do this.

That wasn't to my liking so i cheated by reloading the game and did this instead:

1. Made sure my victim still has the stuff i need (:
2. Raised my pickpocketing to 80 (154).
3. Stole all three items, raising suspicion bar to 95%.

In first scenario 154 pickpocketing wasn't enough to steal all three items (not even two) but in second scenario it was. The conclusion of this experiment is: don't use your pickpocketing skill until you can steal all the items you'd like to steal. And this is something i don't like.

Other skills don't have such restrictions. If, for example, your lockpicking is fairly low and it allows you to open only some Boxes Of Phat Loot, you can open what you can and come back later, when your lockpick is higher, to open the rest. You don't have to worry that using your skill when it is low will punish you later, when you raise this skill to respectable level.

What i'd like to see is maximum allowed suspicion raising with level of pickpocketing skill. That would work something like this:
1. My pickpocket is 50, so is maximum suspicion.
2. I stole stygian coins and suspicion raised to 40/50, which is 80%.
3. I raised my pickpocketing to 100 and my victim has now suspicion of 40/100 (that's 40%! you've guessed it!).
4. Now i can steal another item from my victim.

It would also give illusion of suspicion bar dropping with time, that some people have asked for. But you'd have to actually make a progress (gain a level, raise your skill), not just wait for X hours.

I want that "come back later, when you're good enough" option (:

Edit: I forgot to say that i actually like pickpocketing system in Underrail, especially it's deterministic nature. I just think it could use some polishing (:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 04:47:16 pm by hilf »

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Rework pickpocketing
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:56:56 pm »
Sounds like a good idea.

Pickpocketing was already reworked once (from a chance-based system to the current deterministic suspicion system), but it could be improved further.

I don't think I was here when it was a chance-based system but from my experience with such systems the one we have is vastly superior.

don't use your pickpocketing skill until you can steal all the items you'd like to steal.
Precisely this is the kind of behaviour the current system encourages. It's kind of silly.

But this is still a problem, much agreed.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Rework pickpocketing
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 07:48:56 am »
In the next update suspicion bar will degrade very slowly over time (even when you're not in the area).