Author Topic: Assault Rifle feat for burst attacks  (Read 3385 times)

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
Assault Rifle feat for burst attacks
« on: December 16, 2014, 05:12:07 pm »
Assault Rifles are in serious need of feats. Maybe something like this could work:

I've noticed that burst THC drops quickly with distance. This feat could make THC drop slower with distance when using ARs.
This improvement would be better with each point of strength above some value.

It would make each point of STR matter for AR users, not just STR 7 for Full Auto.
It would give nice choice between ARs and SMGs:
SMG for mobile zoners who use bursts at short range and have high DEX
AR for stationary zoners with good mid/long range bursts and high STR.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Assault Rifle feat for burst attacks
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:09 pm »
I see only one problem with that. This game is all about proper allocation of points. That is to say, you get the bare minimum of what you need to get access to the feats and then you give all the rest to the single important statistic, in the case of someone who uses AR, perception. To for a player to divide points between STR and PER would be bad. It's always more rewarding to have a sniper rifle for mid to long range and an AR for short and just invest everything into perception.

Yes, more feats that help with burst fire dispersion would be good, the core idea is solid, the implemetation just needs to be different.

Mindless

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »
In 1.12 version "Spec Ops" feat worked for assault rifles too for me =) I don't know about this situation after new updates.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:15:37 pm »
You're right, Elhazzared.
My intention wasn't to replace PER with STR as primary combat attribute for assault rifles, but rather give bonuses for someone who already invests points into strength for some reasons. And those reasons can be:
1. Full Auto feat - my feat would most likely give bonuses for STR above 5 (because other feats such as Conditioning use this number) and because most AR builds want Full Auto there would already be a benefit for them.
2. Metal Armor - STR requirement is 8 or 9 (maybe 7 for TiChrome, i'm not sure).
3. Combining ARs with Sledgehammers. Sledgehammer guys can never have enough STR and they gladly accept any long range bonus.
4. Rathound BBQ - it gives STR, while nothing gives PER except for Junkyard Surprise but it's random and double edged.

In 1.12 version "Spec Ops" feat worked for assault rifles too for me =) I don't know about this situation after new updates.
It's likely a bug because description says it works with SMG only.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:48:44 pm by hilf »

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:59:00 pm »
Yeah but dividing stats is bad. if you are going for assault rifles, you will of course have str 7 but only because you need it for the feat, going above would be a waste no matter the reason. The thing is, you don't need melee when you use ARs, they are prime for close range and somewhat for mid range on semi.

If you are going for melee then you don't need ARs, you already got your up close and personal weapon in the form of a sledgehammer.

There just isn't much synergy between guns and melee. As far as I see synergies, they are guns with grenades, melee with grenades, melee with crossbows (for special bolts), melee with a hint of psi, psy with crossbows. those are the good synergies, you can do something different of course and i might be missing something here but for the most part, this is where synergy is.

It's mostly a case of how the game was developed. It was made with 3 main form of attacks. Melee, guns and psi. Those are the meat of combat. Crossbows and grenades, while good they don't hold on their own but make up for superb support combat skills... Whether intentional or not, this is how it is.

The problem of combining sledgehammers with ARs is. Your strenght (assuming the feat lowered burst penalty with more strenght) might be indeed reducing the penalties, but your perception on the other hand would be lowering your chances to hit since it would be somewhat low.

Really the way for this to work would be having an extra feat to reduce penalty for burst fire.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 05:14:35 pm »
Assault Rifles already synergize well with Metal Armour, so having 8 base strength is not out of the question.
I also support every feat that gives players a reason to not play cookie cutter style "1 Attribute focus", so that's fine with me.
I mean, pistols profit from perception as well, yet you put a lot of points into dexterity to raise the fire rate.
Such are the choices one has to make, and choices are the spice of life.
Melee is already a tossup between dex and str, and light guns dex and per. ARs being str and per seems nicely consistent.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 11:00:02 pm »
I really don't think ARs need feats beyond full auto.  After playing a full auto opportunist build, with an assault rifle in one hand and sniper in the other, I've found there isn't really much need for feats on account of killing anything stunned and close instantly xD  Suppressive fire just adds icing to the cake.  Heavy armor builds really don't need any more killing power.

But yeah, really why not use a sniper for distance?  you've got the guns, perception, and strength 5 already if you have an assault rifle; and every character has 4 hands after all.  Giving a feat that gives AR distance as well as power would make the assault rifle a "one weapon solves everything", and no other build really has that.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:13:45 am by Greep »