Author Topic: mind hacking, mind infultration, downloading  (Read 1249 times)

nuclearage

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
mind hacking, mind infultration, downloading
« on: April 06, 2014, 07:08:42 pm »
quick suggestion on perks or powers, and  hacking.

Mind hacking; hack a electronic objects from a distance, but uses your base skill.

psychic Infiltrator; pick a mechanical objects from a distance, but uses your base skill.

downloading: computer systems may have a data base in which you can download schematics from, or you may have to hack to gain access.
a new item would be empty versions of the blue schematic drives.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: mind hacking, mind infultration, downloading
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:03:04 pm »
the first two probably won't be implemented. The thing is, if you want to hack or pick locks you need the skills, not ignore them completly and have a power do it for you to save you points to spend elsewhere. The base idea is that you have to decide what you are capable of doing and limit yourself to that while being unable to do well in other areas. Thus there are no two ways of doing the same thing through different skills/powers... there might be an exception here or there, but where there is it bears little influence and it exists only for the purpose of making the main quest always accessible.

nuclearage

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:44:33 am »
if you want to hack or pick locks you need the skills, not ignore them completly and have a power do it for you to save you points to spend elsewhere.

Sorry I hope I understand what your saying, maybe I didn't write it out thoroughly.

It wasn't suppose to be the wizards lv.9 knock spell, bypassing those lock picking skills with magic, making the rogue in your party useless.

Just adding range to picking or hacking. By base skills, I meant lock-picking and hacking.
so you could use this power to hack a terminal using your base of 50 in hacking, but you don't gain the 10 bonus that you would have with the Haxxer mk III.
you would have to loose psi doing it, and have to use up a lock pick or some battery power to make it happen.

You want to hack a terminal, but a auto turret is just waiting for you to get to close, so you stealth at a good distance and try to mind hax it,
out comes:
so you find out you cant, and you are going to have to confront the turret and use your haxxer.
or
you succeeded and it saved you a step while are at a safe distance from gun turret, now you can use the elevater.

Mind hacking seemed like a good Cybermancey thing.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:19:56 pm »
Mind-to-machine type of interaction is something that might be explored in the future.

Telekinetic lockpicking doesn't sound too interesting (or overly useful) to me. I considered implementing telekinetic pickpocketing in the past but decided it wasn't worth the trouble and that there are more interesting things to program.

I like the idea of some security consoles having blueprints that can be downloaded. I actually think that mechanics for this are already implemented and it's just the case that I haven't been using them anywhere. :)