Author Topic: Branding  (Read 1665 times)

nuclearage

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Branding
« on: April 02, 2014, 05:00:39 am »
Ive recently became aware how great themes are, and one of the best kind is branding.
I was playing borderlands 2 and there is so much branding, fallout has some too, its a really fun concept.
I love getting to choose a company that Ive gotten to know, got results from or got addicted to.

Components for crafting might have old world manufacture names or the ones that exist like Bio-corp or south-station, black eels.
There must be some industry in the under rail.  it would expand the action side as well, factions have industry the excel in or be mediocre at a product.
Or dr. so-and-so makes the best necron-converters in the land and you might see this item through out the under-rails, and to ge the best one have to meet him.

If the people you meet running post-apocalypse sub-terrain food courts where brand name food chains.
a good story plot might be the supposedly long dead bio-corp just became a well know Eel burger franchise.

Or say your rummaging through a trash bin and you spot some gun parts and you get really amped you because you see a Cat logo in the corner. And your like cat-people make the best delta-phase ion-cannons, and you do a little air gaiter solo in phrase of your findings.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 05:05:47 am by nuclearage »

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
Re: Branding
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:23:01 am »
I would like to see more branding overall, it's one of those things that strikes me when I play Underrail: Noone is recognizible to the common man in this world. It would make sense if an established trader in a city or community would set up signs outside their shops or have people talking about that trader since traders in Underrail seem to be a pretty big deal considering how hard it is to get over resources, especially for a commoner, but they are not and it sort of make their presence that much less valuable from a lore standpoint. The same goes for the 'healers' (for a lack of better word), one would think that the person keeping the people healthy and supply them with clean medical tools would have influence and reputation but they don't, they sleep in a tent or live in a rusty shack just like everyone else, without any way to recognize them, unless you've already met them.

I feel it's a missed opportunity to add cohesiveness to the world and it's also a great way to give certain places their own personality.

nuclearage

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 03:14:14 am »
It would be funny to find a old dead cave hopper, with a description and image of a bar code on the side and the words "David's best brand"
Implying it was engineered.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:26:05 pm »
While I'm not that keen on branding/brand-loyalty as concepts for survivalist post-apocalyptic world, I do agree that there needs to be more referencing and recognition (economical and otherwise) between various factions, characters and locales so as to portray a more realistic and cohesive game world. I think you guys will be pleased with the progress made on this in the upcoming patch.