Author Topic: Crafting suggestion for high INT characters.  (Read 2553 times)

nuclearage

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Crafting suggestion for high INT characters.
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:25:53 pm »
I just a started character with 10 INT. and filled all crafting skills to the brim.
I wouldn't recommend it, because aren't many benefits to crafting at the moment.
your horrible other things. high Int characters aren't balanced at the moment,
really no reason why you should kept sticking points in INT at high levels.

suggestions:
-unique items that can only be crafted, crafting weapons lets you make special versions. jury-rigging crazy items.
removing the need for a special gun frame for making chemical blob guns use the (SMG frame) to make a burst type chemical guns,
making chemical ammo with poisons or electric shocking jelly. Adding multiple lasers to a laser gun. altering it battery size.
Add a scope to the chemical blob gun. chemical ammo that works in a normal gun. napalm blob gun.
craft gun turrets and robots, and hack/electronics robots, turrets, electrical boxes,

-letting you mod already finished weapons and armor.
Add a scope to a normal gun or a another barrel, jury-rigging the clip to hold more ammo, add poison to normal caltrops or a bear trap.
add spikes add other armors, coat you armor in a fire-retardant, or rust proofing chemicals.

-throwing is neglected more weapons
throwing daggers and ninja stars. Molotov cocktails: gasoline, bottles, clothing scraps.
the ability to pick up you caltrops.

-explosives,
The ability to shoot mines

-explosive barrel.
the ability to extract the gas, oil or whatever explosive from it.

I'm surprised theirs isn't no random junk like soda cans, bottles or canned food.
the healing hype, needs to many components, It just feel unbalanced compared to psi booster.

-thanks

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Crafting suggestion for high INT characters.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 01:54:33 am »
A few thoughts on your sugestions.

Tecnicly, you can create unique items. What you can buy is never gonna have as much possible upgrades as what you can craft. I also think that there are some mods which you can only put in something if you craft them, no weapons come with those type of mods... As for specificly an item that can only be crafted... Well there aren't many but you cannot buy a mk5 grenade, it's crafting exclusive... At least it was in the previous build anyway.

Moddng weapons or armor is cool but right now there is a major impediment to it and that major impediment comes in the form of skills. Say you get to a new area and buy a weapon that is really great and you just have the greatest mod for it. Now to put in the mode, even if the crafting allowed you to just go in and add or remove the mod you still wouldn't be able. Why? Because just the weapon itself at the values of the base items it has already far outweights your skill level to be able to put it back together. Now to add a mod you are further requiring more skill which if before was already impossible, now it's even more impossible.
The problem lies in the required skills to craft being way too high, they keep you far beyond the curve of what's available in the market for direct sale. This isn't so bad on an int 10 character, but even then you are still kept a decent bit behind the curve.

Throwing could use a bit more love yes! And I figure it will eventually get more though I don't agree with picking up caltrops. they are kinda fine as they are. If anything I'd just like the abillity to remove caltrops from the ground when you are out of combat so you can cover an area, engage, clean up after everything is dead so you can easly pass through that place.

Lastly I'd like to just say that even if all the crafting problems were to be addressed it still wouldn't be good to just do a crafter. The reason is that it matters little to be able to craft a doomsday weapon if you don't have the skills to pull you through combat even when you use them... Investing more into intelligence should be nothing more than the abillity to get stuff earlier than normal, but always as a second thought and not as a primary... Unless you are trying to make the game harder on yourself on purpose.

nuclearage

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Crafting suggestion for high INT characters.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:50:34 am »
Nice, thank you guys for the responses, I'm still finding out whats-whats in this game.

I don't know if others tried high INT character. Its my style to be a coward, hiding and trapping.
I like being part of the science team and keeping my distance in combat with nades and mines.

Its getting better as you level. With so much crafting skills, I was expecting to turn desk-chairs into armor or something outrageous.
Throwing became a mixed bag early on it was pricy and I was out of ammo quickly, but its cool now.

perks so far of high crafting.

-Saving money
-Making money
-Much Higher level grenades and mine earlier.
-Everything you find has some use.

What I'm not sure about (at the moment)
-The items I find on enemy's are higher stats and worth more, then things I can craft (Minus grenades)
-crafting skills don't seem to influence dialog choices (maybe I'm wrong)

yeah, I don't care about picking up caltrops and re-using them, just if I could clear them out of my way with high trap skill or something.
So far I dump a millions of tons of caltrops daily and it ruining the environment.

I love how the robots disarm my mines. The first time I witnessed it happen, it scared me so bad; never saw that coming.
I'm going to guess the evolution of that is a robot sweeps up my caltrops and throws them back at me.

just saying...
IF: I can shoot mines.
Then: a high level humanoid might think the same way and start shooting at my mines.

-thanks

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:01:28 am by nuclearage »