Author Topic: New Player looking for some advice :)  (Read 3881 times)

MeToLee

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
New Player looking for some advice :)
« on: January 04, 2019, 02:21:46 am »
Hi everyone.

Just bought the game and I'm starting the game at Hard difficulty bacause I like a challenge (and because I'm a massocist) Before I start I wanted to do some search for viable characters build so I wouldnt tire myself out by having to start all over again and learn in and outs of the game. But man it seems there is a lot :) so I did some research and wanted to go guns  and metal armor for an easy and fun first paly through. So I came up with this thanks to calculator:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUGCAUKBQfChwAAAMKHwocAZGQAAHh4AAAAAAAAZGQjJFNFKUEBMzJPJhkeTRE

Is this look like it will get me through the game? Oh and by the way I'm going with oddities on this run.

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: New Player looking for some advice :)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:12:32 am »
Couple problems:

- build has no focus, is this for generic gun guy?
- you have armor sloping which literally only works for metal armor (and leather boots with metal plate reinforcement but I don't know of anyone who actually uses those) and only 5 strength. Metal armors requires 8 strength min to not lose action points

ok this build has tons of problems in my opinion that I'd rather not say, half the fun of this game is figuring out fun builds for yourself. Go play a bit on normal and you'll figure out how things should work. Just keep in mind that there are a few things to worry about:
minimum stat requirements:
sledgehammer: 8 (9) STR
metal armor: 8 (9) STR
assault rifles: 6 (7) STR
sniper rifles: 5 STR
riot armor: 5(6) STR

armor gives you "armor penalty" which reduces your move points, evasion, dodge, and stealth, basically everything that is affected by agility, so you're either going for light armor high agility build or low agility heavy armor build or maybe something in between

sprint (6 agility) is about worth it on every character IMO

If you are crafting your own armor you need tailoring and mechanics, sometimes other crafting feats
If you are crafting your own weapons you need mechanics and sometimes electronics (tailoring for certain fist build)

THIS IS IMPORTANT:
this character has 5 Will, which literally gives no benefit without psionic abilities. That is two wasted stat points which are HUGELY IMPORTANT, and give you could give you access to potentially game-changing feats.

My advice is to pick a type of weapon, put the main stat governing that weapon to around 9-10, and then look at the feats and find some supporting feats which boost your combat abilities - as in damage, mobility, ability to take damage or avoid it. Underrail is mainly a combat game and if you want to experience other aspects of the game save it for another playthrough

knife/fist - dex
sledge - str
AR - str/ per
smg - dex/per
pistol - dex/per
sniper - per (5str req)
crossbow - per/ others for feats

Also don't forgo crafting, the game is better with it.

That's all the advice I am gonna give for now. I'm pretty sure I have over 1000 hours in this game on steam because the character crafting is so robust and I didn't find the speedhack for so long (which is basically a must to play after a while)

Good luck and as nerd commando says have fun playing games!

Also look up underrail builds on youtube and watch nerd commando playlist, I think about 10 videos of different builds. A little outdated but gives basic concepts of how to build character.

ALSO, this post I think belongs in general but I am not mod so IDK.

MeToLee

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 03:29:40 am »
thanks for the quick reply. I wanted to use sniper rifle and a keep a pistol handy for anyone gets close by hence the Str 5 but I guess I'll have to skip the metal armor and stick to light armor then.

I played a little with skills as your advices come up with something like this with 65 extra points and 1 feat available:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQYGCAUKAwjChwAAAGRkHmRkAAB4eAA3eAAAAAAAIyRTKQEyTxlNOTUOQTM

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 04:01:48 am »
Ok,

My best advice at this point would be to:

cut crafting feats + salesman

get instead:
ambush
critical power
throwing + grenadier (30 throwing 6 dex)
rapid fire (great for pistol sidearm if that's what you want
gunslinger (great for pistol sidearm requires 7 dex)
spec ops (6 agi, great for smg sidearm)

increase stealth since it affects snipe damage + unlocks ambush feat which you may find very helpful

take skill points out of biology (or even better, dodge because ideally you want them at a distance and you can get uncanny dodge with only 40 points invested + goggles which are optimal for gunners reduce dodge by 25%) in order to unlock a second combat ability. You are gonna want throwing or traps as a backup to your sniper and pistol when:

-there is a huge horde of enemies that can't get blasted down fast enough
-someone is closing in on you and you want to drop a quick tinkering trap (7 dex for feat)
-you have traps set up before combat that are hard to see for enemies which you can use to trap them in bad spots/ out of line of sight of you. (fyi you can use beartraps with 0 skill, animals don't see them, and lots of people will run into them if you put them around a corner because they will have no time to spot it)

Also some of your crafting skills are a bit too high, you're not gonna get components that high quality unless you REALLY GRIND

my version of this build looks a lot more like this: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQUGCAUMAwfChzoAACjCh3BkZAAAaGgNKGgAAAAAACMkAU8ZOTVBM0sCWxZZUw
(FEATS NOT IN ORDER BTW)

If you don't mind reloading those 2 points in con aren't gonna save you from SHIT anyway, so you may want to just dump it completely and put those points into more per (missing with sniper HURTS BAD MAN)

That's my best advice methinks. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 04:06:39 am by Shredded Cheddar »

MeToLee

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 04:19:14 am »
Again those are some good advices there thank you. I thought crafting FEATS were important since everyone says you get best items weapon armor etc by crafting. but I'll consider changing them for other things. I'm a big fat hoarder who ends up with plenty to sell in every rpg I play thats why I thought salesman is a good idea but I'll change that too. thanks again for your help. I'm itching to get started I better hop in :)

Shredded Cheddar

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 04:50:16 am »
Yeah have fun man,

But honestly the best part of the game is finding all of the cool synergies and builds that you hadn't thought of originally after you have played the game a bit and are looking for a new play style or whatever. Underrail is a very combat oriented game and the different situations are almost like miniature puzzles with 500 ways to solve but 500,000,000 ways to fail, ya know what i mean?