Author Topic: Wasteland 2  (Read 8465 times)

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
Wasteland 2
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:36:54 am »
I'm surprised no one have brought up Wasteland 2 yet on this forums, it's inXiles new turn based RPG, and one of the first majorly successful kickstarters.

They recently released a video showing of some of the basic mechanics of the game, most noticably the dialogue, combat and reactivity. I'm not fully supportive of the conversation system in the game but I think it'll work out just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdmGthYqTbo

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Wasteland 2
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:40:03 am »
I don't know how the rest of the guys reacts to it, but for me it's a big 'meh' until it's not released. I'm not exactly player who had contact with Wasteland (even though I started my gaming with Amiga era), so there is no sentiment factor for me :P. It's like with Shadowrun - it's rather good game, but nothing amazing. And buzz about it was pretty big.

Don't get me wrong - I too sponsored few things through Kickstarter, but I'm keeping my emotions in check until they come out. Not getting hot over teasers and trailers is pretty sensible thing to do :D. Yet I kinda can understand the enthusiasm...

So my answer is just waiting, I guess :P.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:24:43 pm »
I agree that it looks kinda 'meh', especially since they removed hexagonal grid and replaced it with squares, it is still in its alpha stages though. I didn't back either it but it's nice that these kind of games start to surface on the market again, along with (obviously) Underrail, Project Eternity, Torment etc. I just hope they will be able to deliver since I sincerely look forward to this, it's been too long since we had a really good mad maxy post-apocalyptic isometric RPG. They even got the original composer which is amazing.

I follow the game quite intensively but like you say, it's about "wait and see".
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:39:04 am by nackidno »

joejoefine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:16:11 pm »
I'm also following, I guess I assumed most people here already knew about the project as dedicated RPG gamers but maybe that's unwarranted :P.

I backed the project for a great deal on the final game. So far I'm excited about a few things: They've got Mark Morgan composing again, I love the witty, humorous descriptions and dialogue in the game as shown so far on their youtube reveals, and I like the variety of paths you can choose and skillsets.

After playing Fallout: Tactics a while back I really started to appreciate team-based RTS games more.  So I'm no longer too off-put by managing a squad of players in an RPG setting. I grew up playing solitary RPGs only, and didn't play some of the classics where you commanded a small squad like Baldur's Gate. Now I don't know if I can find the time to go back to the classics though I would like to.

Anyway I'm rambling. I'm looking forward to what they come up with, so far its looking like a nice game. Certainly wouldn't mind playing another game as least as good as Underrail!

Spambot

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:03:40 pm »
Honestly, the way the game industry been acting lately, until there is a game demo or something to judge gameplay on, Ill pass...
Been dissappointed way too much by hype time and time again... I hope they are not feeding on previous game as many many have :(

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 08:50:01 am »
As I see Wasteland 2 already released in Steam  :D
Richard Moreau, Vault 8

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:42:32 pm »
Having played it now for about 20 hours since release. I've got to say that the game is not as "meh" as I thought it would be when I made this thread. In fact, the things that keeps me hooked with this game is the same thing that I liked about Underrail: strategic and interesting combat, in-depth character development and an interesting story. The only thing that I don't really dig is that the game is super slow paced, being 20 hours into the game and feeling like I haven't gotten anywhere doesn't really engage me that much, good thing everything else about the game is really good else I probably would've stopped long ago.

That said, if you like Underrail, you'll probably like Wasteland 2. It's very similar.

Prytification

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:52:35 am »
Thing is, Wasteland 2 IS a slow paced game. It will take you several hours to 'get' somewhere, that's how it's made.

Maybe you never played them, but Wizardry 6 and 7 were games where you didn't achieve anything in a short time, because of: you often had encounters that took like 40+ minutes. Was very entertaining, though it was very simple and not really tactics involved.

I like the slowness on Wasteland 2. If you play on highest difficulty you will be engaged in combat for a long time, going full tactic to not get hit that much. It's like the old 'Soldiers of Anarchy', good memories!

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 11:02:14 am »
Super slow games is not something I have time for though. I've got places to go and things to do now that I have a job and responsibilities. And the fact of the matter is (like you say) that the game is slow paced and perhaps that's intentional but it's worth noting in case someone wants to pick up the game but don't have a lot of time on their hands. Like me. 20 hours is not a short time either, it's a long ass time for a game to pick up the pace haha. :P

jackdcuna

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 04:15:23 pm »
Great game! payed full price love it
Prayer is dignity of soul

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 10:49:22 am »
THis game looks better and better with the Director's Cut coming sometime in 2015.

Waiting to get a better system to play it, but I already bought it :P

Atchodas

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 08:50:23 pm »
Funny how Styg managed to craft Deeper , more complex , less buggy and in general better game than Inxile with 50 employees , Kickstarter , Legendary sequel hype etc etc.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 09:08:03 pm »
Well, Wasteland 2 has a much larger scope than Underrail. But yeah it was really buggy on release no denying that. As for depth and complexity, I have to respectfully disagree, they focus on different things and they both have strength. I'd say they are pretty even.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:10:40 pm by Eliasfrost »