Author Topic: A map  (Read 13393 times)

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
A map
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:50:40 am »
While demo areas are rather easy to move in (besides few wrong turns in caves) a map in this type of a game is a must. I sure hope that this feature is missing just because it's a demo - and as such hasn't got many levels yet.

It would greatly help people when searching for quest areas (like infamous SGS barracks). And I'm not even really talking about minimap, just normal map - while checking it could get tedious... I would roll with it.

neonesis

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: A map
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:52:22 am »
Perhaps as an items? You could find maps of given areas, or/and download them to your datapad from consoles you hack, et cetera.

It wouldn't be as convenient as straight up self-drawing map, but hey, it's an RPG ;>

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:16:51 pm »
It would be nice. Especially if, like in the Fallout, most of the locations were drawn on overworld map - and thus were self-contained. Map-like item (could be a sketch made by some now-dead NPC) could outline at least few most interesting locations... it sure beats signs <medical ward> and such...

Well... it may be a part of lore stuff.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:43:41 pm »
There will be a global metro map that you'll use when travelling by train.

Local map for the area you're in seems redundant to me, since you can just scroll around and see everything you explored that way. I never used local maps for this exact reason in Fallout 1/2.

Haven't completely made up my mind on the subject though.

neonesis

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 05:15:50 pm »
I was thinking more of a map of zone connections - local navigation is easy, as you said, because you can just scroll around. Navigating between zones however might get tricky at times. Northern caves are perfect example, it's very easy to get lost, because of interconnections and secret passages.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 05:41:45 pm »
Yup, I thought it more like neonesis said - it doesn't need to really be graphically cool or anything (some sketches would be okay too), just functional.

In demo it was manageable, but considering there will be a lot more locations with even greater degree of complication...

I was thinking more about something like this:

Tnoyce

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 05:06:26 pm »
I would also like to see an in-game map of some sort. It's pretty common fare in this type of game. Nothing too terribly fancy. Ideally, it would show your current location.

toudi_sk

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
    • Madbrahmin Vault Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 01:15:48 pm »
I miss map really hard (and nothing found on the internets :D),
in other case must notice every locking box etc. (insufficient skill)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 01:31:41 pm by toudi_sk »
I apologize for my google translator english

looking for NORTH? follov number 3

Lotus_Eater

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 09:12:03 am »

Local map for the area you're in seems redundant to me, since you can just scroll around and see everything you explored that way. I never used local maps for this exact reason in Fallout 1/2.

I partially agree with you,but the real reason why I never used a map in F1/F2 is because it was so confusing and unreadable.
Having a well designed map could be nice.In RPGs,i love writing notes on maps to keep track of places i've discovered.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 11:31:41 am »
First off I want to say that I'm absolutely loving this game so far and I've been a great fan of the Fallout series for a long time as well as the Forgotten Realms titles. So real big kudos to you Styg!

And I also want to make a suggestion about maps, I'm cool with the idea of a "world map" (if you could call it that) in sacrifice of a local one, but another thing that would be really useful is a zoom feature that allows you to quickly toggle a 0.5x zoom of your area, that way you easily erase the tedious 'slowly scrolling around the map method' that's in the game now.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 08:56:12 pm »
First off I want to say that I'm absolutely loving this game so far and I've been a great fan of the Fallout series for a long time as well as the Forgotten Realms titles. So real big kudos to you Styg!

And I also want to make a suggestion about maps, I'm cool with the idea of a "world map" (if you could call it that) in sacrifice of a local one, but another thing that would be really useful is a zoom feature that allows you to quickly toggle a 0.5x zoom of your area, that way you easily erase the tedious 'slowly scrolling around the map method' that's in the game now.

Yeah, I get what you mean.

Actually there was an Infinity Engine style map screen implemented, but I had to disable it because of some technical issues when I transitioned to XNA 4.0. I might bring it back at some point in development.

Tnoyce

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:21:18 am »
That would be awesome if it is possible.

I suck at navigation, both in games and RL, so any assistance would be wonderful.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 12:33:24 pm »
Yeah, I get what you mean.

Actually there was an Infinity Engine style map screen implemented, but I had to disable it because of some technical issues when I transitioned to XNA 4.0. I might bring it back at some point in development.

That would be amazing :)

Oldbolt

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 04:14:09 am »
Yes please. A map would be the icing on the cake for me.
Sleep: Something to do when bored!