Author Topic: Testing Toolkit  (Read 5670 times)

Lakstoties

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
    • Best With Stuff
Testing Toolkit
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »
As the game develops, you'll need to plan to have some nice in-game debug and testing tools.

Command Console - Similar to the consoles in many games, this would allow developer and testers alike to poke and prod the game in various ways to squeeze out those bugs.  Character, Inventory, and Environment state editing options, and few action commands (kill, spawn, move, etc..) would be very useful.

Logger - Being able to turn on a logger to write out the flow of the game functions would be very useful.  I've made a few threaded asynchronous loggers in a number of C# applications to catch all those annoying bugs.  Also having a logger allows testers a bit more ability to help the developer to hand in a log file and give a base level of information about the issue.

A few associated editors would be nice, too.  But those can come at a later point.
My random efforts:  http://www.bestwithstuff.com

neonesis

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Testing Toolkit
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 10:41:25 pm »
I think logger, and command console would be the most useful tools. I've already found myself pressing tilda key, trying to quickly raise my attributes to test some mechanics ;>

Since logger is easier to do, and will greatly increase debugging capability (also on our end, since many of us are more-than-average-PC guys I believe), I'd advice to work on it first.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Testing Toolkit
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:40:20 pm »
Logger is implemented, but is not dumping to the file atm.

There's also something similar to the command console, but it's not a part of release build.

If I end up releasing more builds in the future, I'll consider including something of the sort for you guys to mess with. :)