Author Topic: Weapon attack actions & AP costs  (Read 2175 times)

Atoning Unifex

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Weapon attack actions & AP costs
« on: April 24, 2013, 04:00:01 pm »
I've seen this game compared to the original Fallout game - which I never played but must have a look at now! However from my perspective the use of AP and turn based combat makes me think of the classic UFO games.

With that in mind I was wondering about various fire modes that UFO had - Aimed, snap and burst. Burst I have seen in the game for automatic weapons so that's fine. Snap I assume is the standard single normal shot for weapons but aimed appears as a guaranteed critical feat only inc a cooldown period. I think aimed shot should be a non-feat  fire mode with higher AP cost and accuracy but with a normal critical chance. Anyone should be able to take a bit more time to aim to get a better hit chance. Keep the feat in as something like "Headshot" to give a guaranteed ciritcal on hit. This extra aimed mode would give increased strategy options (do you risk mising with a snap shot but have more shot attempts or have an aimed shot for better chances but less shots)

I also wondered whether there would be stances being introduced - stand, crouch, prone - for varying evasion/dodge and chance to hit?

Finally I think AP costs need looking at, particularly for crossbows. It looks like you can fire a pistol 3 times and a crossbow 2 times per comabt turn (roughly), however crossbows should be a lot slower IMO. I reckon you could easily fire off an entire clip from an automatic in the time it would take to fire a and reload a crossbow - the amount of effort required to pull the string back is significant and tme consuming. This would kind of make the crosbow a bit pointless unless it had mode stealth applications but i thought I'd mention it anyway!

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon attack actions & AP costs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:36:10 pm »
For the one thing I think I can comment on:
I think crouching and the like are not in, nor likely going to, due to the way characters are depicted in game;
Doing a new stance and respective animations would sort of require doing it over and over again for every combination of visible equipment the character carries.

I like the idea of having aimed shot as a 'fire mode' for accuracy, though it could still be a feat in that sense; For completely untrained people, I'd reckon taking more time will not really improve the result.^^
Crossbows are probably balancing, who would use them otherwise? Unless they did more damage and had recoverable ammo.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Deckard

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:35:56 pm »
Stances would be really useful!

It adds a whole new dimension to combat.
If you want to see how in a turn based game, Metalheart Replicants Rampage puts it to great use.

The prone mode allows crawling, and some quests in that game require crawling under fences and into certain areas that are only accessible that way.

blackmoor

• Zoner
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:09:51 pm »
Different fire-types would be good; aimed shoot and burst are already Feats in the game.

I agree with UnLimiTeD about making the stances Feats, to give temporary boosts to combat.

But I don't really see the need for a crawling movement type in Underrail, I'd just rather move to the next area.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 12:34:24 am by blackmoor »