Author Topic: Armor question  (Read 4555 times)

Zephyros

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Armor question
« on: April 03, 2013, 03:20:03 am »
Hey Styg, been playing your game ever since you posted the Alpha demo on the Codex. Awesome job man   :)

Hopefully this doesn't seem dumb, but what do the resistance values in armor refer to? I'm crafting an anti-rifle vest and the Laminated panel gives me a higher flat number (which appears on the right) whereas the Hybrid gives me a higher percentage (which is on the left.) Could you explain how these values interact with the damage from an enemy?

Many thanks, having a great deal of fun playing Underrail dude  :D

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Armor question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 03:28:25 am »
The percentage is damage resistance (DR) and the flat number is damage threshold (DT).

When you take damage, the armor will either reduce it by the amount specified by the damage resistance or by the flat amount specified by the threshold, whichever is greater (not both).

So more DT is better against faster attacks that deal less damage (such as SMGs, knife attacks, etc), while more DR is better against heavy attacks (snipers, sledgehammers, etc).

In your particular case there's another modifier in the equation: tactical vests have their DT increased by 200% (tripled) against firearms. So they are hard to penetrate with firearms, especially when augmented with anti-rifle plates. On the flip side, they have lower DR and generally lower base DT (when not multiplied) so they are not as good versus other types of attack.

Hope this clears it up.

Zephyros

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Armor question
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 03:48:31 am »
Sure does, thanks Styg.