Author Topic: Dev Log #15: Version 0.1.7.0. released  (Read 16793 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #15: Version 0.1.7.0. released
« on: March 23, 2013, 01:33:14 am »
The game is updated to version 0.1.7.0 on Desura, soon to be updated in other places as well (GamersGate and Groupees). You'll find all the new stuff listed here and in the previous three dev logs.

The new patch is ready. As mentioned in previous dev logs, I focused on re-balancing the economy and area of effect attacks (primarily grenades). But I've also added new quests and areas, mostly in the vicinity of the Junkyard.

These quests should hopefully paint a clearer picture of the Underrail politics and tell you a bit more about some of the major factions, while still leaving many questions to be answered later in the game. They will also allow you to actively take part in faction struggles.

Without wanting to spoil too much for the players, I'll just say that one of the quests results in a larger scale combat encounter. I'm not particularly happy with this event for a number of reasons. First, the AI isn't very good in handling multiple enemies, it's been written so far to simply fight the one character that is the player and not to coordinate group fights. So you will see your companions and enemies alike to stupid things from time to time. Secondly, waiting time are just too long because I control only one characters in a fight with many participants. And lastly, in the real time sections before and after the fight there's too much pathfinding calculations going on that it can stagger the game a bit.

But despite all of this, I'm still including the encounter because it's a nice change of pace and because omitting it, or automatically resolving it somehow, would be very anti-climatic. But don't expect these sort of fights to be common in the future. The game was built with single character in mind and it shows.

Anyway, here's the full list of changes since the last dev log:

• General
    • More quests added to Junkyard areas
    • Two new mini dungeons added
  • Economy
    • Toned down item degradation a bit
    • Melee weapons no longer degrade faster than ranged weapons
    • Reduced the base merchant price modifier from 425% to 350% to better suit the other changes to the economy; so basically everything will be a bit cheaper
  • Mechanics
    • Caltrops have a chance to miss the targeted tile in the same way the granades do
  • Balance
    • Change the mutants and mutated dog health up, down and all around; can't tell if it's more or less than what it used to be but it's balanced now I think
    • NPC natural dodge/evasion changed to 1 per level
    • Off-balanced, stunned, frozen and incapacitated enemies have their dodge and evasion reduced to zero
    • Rooted enemies have their evasion reduced to zero
    • Increased the damage of crippling strike and reduced the AP cost
    • Critical crippling strike applies 2 stacks of the debuff
    • Restored health modifier to all commoners to 100% (up from 50%/80%)
  • Fixes
    • High-density foam padding price now scales with quality and quality is also made relevant in all its crafting recipes
    • Fixed Telekinetic Punch to scale off of Psychokinesis instead of Metathermics
  • UI
    • Disabled Trade button when nothing is set to be traded
    • Turn-based combat path visualization should now work properly in all cases

posfan12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #15: Version 0.1.7.0. released
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 01:49:09 am »
Does the game still freeze when ALT+TABBING or when in windowed mode?

Was hoping for a hotfix to resolve this.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:50:43 am by posfan12 »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 02:08:07 am »
Does the game still freeze when ALT+TABBING or when in windowed mode?

Was hoping for a hotfix to resolve this.

Haven't been able to reproduce it yet on my machine in debug. Going to have to install dev tools on a different PC that runs x64 Win 7. I think that's where the problem occurs.

Hans_Sanitizer

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 04:08:31 am »
I can testify that styg is right, I only have this problem with 64 bit windows, my 32 bit laptop doesn't have this problem but my desktop does.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:24:40 am »
Awesooome! Time to import my sledge-wielding pyromaniac and test out the new changes. I will report any bugs and glitches found. Jolly days! :)

I see the game holds a steady 9.5> rating on Desura, I'm pleased.

Edit: Just noticed that GMS second floor is impossible with a pure melee build. The bots are too powerful for you to take them on and the only way to get around them is stealth, I've reloaded my save at least 30 times now to try different approaches, failure every time.

Edit2: I QUIT
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:20:39 pm by nackidno »

Major_Blackhart

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 05:37:09 pm »
I look forward to playing this version.

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 06:14:49 pm »
nackidno, even with emp grenades?
I plan to go through it with a heavy sledgehammer guy without stealth as well.
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 06:31:04 pm »
nackidno, even with emp grenades?
I plan to go through it with a heavy sledgehammer guy without stealth as well.

Didn't have the luck to find or buy any. The grenades are extremely hard to throw with the new patch as well, so it's pretty much a gamble.

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 06:35:50 pm »
That level feels like the toughest part of the game for non-stealth characters.
I have never been able to defeat them without the good old emp grenade/mines
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 06:52:24 pm »
That level feels like the toughest part of the game for non-stealth characters.
I have never been able to defeat them without the good old emp grenade/mines

Same, my last character was a stealthy gun-nut and grenade user. I got through the second level like a breeze, back when grenades were over-powered. ;)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 12:56:43 am »
High-density foam padding price now scales with quality and quality is also made relevant in all its crafting recipes

Can anybody tell me what this exactly means? I didn't touch game for long time. )

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:24:25 am »
I must say that the new questline is superb (I successfully got through the GMS btw, after a while), this is some AAA quality quests, kudos to you!

I'm wondering though, do you have any plans for redesigning the quest log? It's pretty cluttered right now, especially after completing lots of quests.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 03:28:59 pm »
I'm wondering though, do you have any plans for redesigning the quest log? It's pretty cluttered right now, especially after completing lots of quests.

No plans atm. I might segment it a bit more in the future to avoid large lists.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »
Sounds good. :)

Just finished the Black Eel line, and found a typo, when Silas says "We've got your back" he says "we're got your back you back" instead. Also, I think the XP reward was very small in comparison to some of the other quests (1000 xp on lvl 10?)

Oh and I noticed that I still have the mysterious disk in my inventory even though I finished the quest for Eddie. *old bug?*
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:02:50 pm by nackidno »

joejoefine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »
The item degradation is pretty tough to deal with for gun users, those kits are expensive! For my first foray into attacking rat hounds in the caves, I luckily stumbled upon another 5mm hawker, so I was okay for a while (in addition to the crossbow you get). And then I managed to scrounge up enough loot to buy *one* repair kit. Now I'm a little better off, and I have three :). Those guns are good for killing about 10 rathounds, then its too degraded to be of any use. And even then you have to be very judicious and use aimed shot a lot. All of the guns you get from foes are worth like 50 credits which is useless! You have to rely on things you find in good condition. Although their sledgehammers, even if highly degraded, thankfully still sell for 800 credits.

Don't know where to buy the armor repair kits, but I luckily found one and I'm waiting till my armor degrades as much as possible before using that precious kit. Hoping I find more in junkyard.

I feel like this focus on item degradation, while making the game more challenging...well I feel like its the wrong type of challenging. I'm glad that, at least, the damage the gun deals stays the same. But unless you invest a ton of points into barter its very difficult to buy those kits. That's why I'm trying to spend a few spare points in mechanics to see if I can make them. I have to admit this is the first time I've truly felt challenged in an RPG about where to spend my points, so I think that's good! I'll have to sacrifice one turns worth of points and just jam them mostly into mechanics and see how that works.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:10:02 pm by joejoefine »