Author Topic: Will the game ever be available for Mac/Linux?  (Read 98152 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Will the game ever be available for Mac/Linux?
« on: March 18, 2013, 04:36:52 pm »
Here's a quick word about possible portability of Underrail because I get asked this a lot.

The reason why Underrail is Windows only is because it's built using C# and .NET, and based on Microsoft's XNA technology.

Now, because Microsoft has since decided to discontinue their XNA development I will also be moving away from it in the development of future games.

One of the possible alternatives is Monogame, which as I understand is a cross-platform implementation of XNA based on Mono (the cross-platform .NET implementation). So if I decide to try out this technology in some future development I will test it out by trying to port Underrail to it.

So it's possible that as some point we will see Underrail on Linux and Mac, but that certainly won't be anytime soon and neither can I make any concrete promises regarding that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:39:06 pm by Styg »

cdoublejj

• Noob
    • View Profile
Re: Will the game ever be available for Mac/Linux?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:25 am »
I really do hope you move away from it, it's garbage. i feel like the only thing MS is good for these days is windows 7. I really don't care for DX, XNA or GFWL i'm tired of seeing developers get sucked in to it. maybe its easy to use or something but, it's so constricting because once you build product using it you can't move to another platform with out totally re doing every thing, or at least it seems that way from a non coder.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 10:59:02 am »
M$ is really a problem for the industry rather than helping it improve as it once has been many years ago.

The problem with windows is being a more closed platform with each new release. This is why steam is making their own based linux OS. They are tired of windows really.

cdoublejj

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 09:35:53 am »
It's a walled garden, easy to use dev tool but, only for windows, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhWKRtiIVbk

I really have to ask, why start with a custom engine when there is are already pre build cross platform engines out there, like FIFE?

http://www.fifengine.net/

http://www.fifengine.net/media.html

don't get me wrong if Mono can work, all the better but, why reinvent the wheel?

cplr

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 05:52:06 am »
So, I got the Underrail demo working just fine under Wine. I used Wineskin, and Wine v 1.7.4 with the following winetricks:
corefonts
msxml3
dotnet40
xna40
dirac
vcrun2008
directmusic
dsound
wmp10
wsh57
allcodecs
xvid
vcrun6

I can provide the wineskin app for mac users.

Now that I got the demo up and running I'll probably buy it :).

cplr

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 05:58:50 am »
System Shock 2 uses Wineskin to distribute the OS X version on steam, so this is a potential way to distribute the game to Mac users, FYI.

edit: I zipped up two different Wineskin apps - one with the demo pre-installed and one without. Currently uploading, I'll provide links when that's done...

OK.. first one is done. This is just an empty Wineskin app bundle with all the necessary winetricks. "Show Package Contents" and open the Wineskin.app there. Use the Install Software button to install your copy. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5044101/Underrail%20%28Empty%29.zip

Here's a version with the demo pre-installed, to see if it works for you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5044101/Underrail%20Demo.zip
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:11:01 pm by cplr »

cplr

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 10:35:09 pm »
Yeah, that is just a copy of my winetricks log, which definitely could contain a few extraneous items not entirely needed. It would crash on .ogg playback without wmp10 and allcodecs.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 10:07:28 am »
Hmm. No idea why I said ogg earlier, but I meant wma. :-X

The music files are WMA 9.2.

They will be .ogg in the next version though.

Jabberwok

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:30:54 am »
System Shock 2 uses Wineskin to distribute the OS X version on steam, so this is a potential way to distribute the game to Mac users, FYI.

edit: I zipped up two different Wineskin apps - one with the demo pre-installed and one without. Currently uploading, I'll provide links when that's done...

OK.. first one is done. This is just an empty Wineskin app bundle with all the necessary winetricks. "Show Package Contents" and open the Wineskin.app there. Use the Install Software button to install your copy. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5044101/Underrail%20%28Empty%29.zip

Here's a version with the demo pre-installed, to see if it works for you: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5044101/Underrail%20Demo.zip

I downloaded the one with the demo pre-installed, and I'm happy to say that it works, but there is this weird stuttering echo with all of the sound effects (but not the music). No idea why, any ideas? It's hard to be more specific. [I'm on a Macbook Pro, OS 10.8.5.]

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 02:32:16 pm »
So, I got the Underrail demo working just fine under Wine. I used Wineskin, and Wine v 1.7.4 with the following winetricks:
corefonts
msxml3
dotnet40
xna40
dirac
vcrun2008
directmusic
dsound
wmp10
wsh57
allcodecs
xvid
vcrun6

Perfect! Thanks a lot for the info! Wine always works wonders...

My second question would be: can I avoid Steam while getting this game? I basically hate steam, so it would be a real deal breaker for me...
If I buy it through Alpha Gate or Gamers Gate, will I get a DRM free version similar to GOG.com?

Thanks!

- Diggfinger

Greep

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 02:34:13 pm »
Well if you're using C# and .NET, there's always Unity3D :D  It has some... odd quirks when trying to make 2d games, though.

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 04:50:58 pm »

Thanks a lot!
The Alpha Demo didn't work for me when I made my own 1.7.4 Wine. The game kept giving me a critical error while installing.

However, with your "empty" wrapper I managed to get Alpha Demo to work.
Only thing is that sound effects echoes a lot, which is annoying. Did you experience the same issue? Music is fine but for instance when I open a locker it sorta resonates.
(Same as Jabberwork).

Thanks again ;0)

- Digg

Anyway, what a cool game!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:21:51 am by Diggfinger »

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 08:49:01 am »
According to WineHQ the game works perfectly in Wine (except cutscenes and auto-save at transition).

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33049

Any experiences?

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 11:52:38 am »
corefonts
msxml3
dotnet40
xna40
dirac
vcrun2008
directmusic
dsound
wmp10
wsh57
allcodecs
xvid
vcrun6

I managed to get the full version working with your empty wrapper! Thank you so much!!!! !

However, the sound still stutters. I can fix it by turning off the master volume, but that removes all other sound effect as well :-/

Did you encounter this issue as well?

- Digg

Cala

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 05:23:00 pm »
Hey guys,

I really really want to play this game but I run a Mac, and I'm really really clueless about how wine works.  This looks so complicated!  I'm not really a gamer, or technical, so most of the posts don't make much sense...winetricks?  I managed to get the demo running just by downloading the preloaded one from cplr (thanks!).  For the layman, is there a way to get the full version going?  I don't have steam or anything like that either and would prefer to not get one if possible.