Author Topic: Energy build feedback on dominating  (Read 2168 times)

Shoutaxeror

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Energy build feedback on dominating
« on: February 07, 2018, 08:25:58 am »
Hello there!

Since I used to play a lot of Underrail but am a lazy person, I didn't play it until recently when I saw an update. Anyway, I didn't even notice the energy pistol buff but wanted to create a pistol build as I never played it and it seemed to be interesting.

Starting stats were

Strength : 3
Dexterity : 10
Agility : 3
Constitution : 3
Perception : 10
Will : 3
Intelligence : 8

Feats : Aimed shot, Gunsligner

Goal was to mostly play with energy pistols, use grenades and max intel for getting the best of high technicalities and play with nice firearms. No points in traps and stealth. It was very hard in the beginning, and I understood quite quickly that incendiary grenades were my best friends. Quite afraid with the number of enemies in dominating but I get used to it. Bear traps were also useful but I didn't want to invest into it, and it's quite doable even without quick thinkering. My only mistake were to think that firearms would be useful : gunslinger was a waste. I also took Opportunist to get Execute. Opportunist is not a bad choice as it synergises well with kneecap shot, flashbanged and trapped enemies when you need it, but execute is quite situational as I don't use electroshock pistols and the only way to use it is with flashbangs, but it's way more rewarding to get a 95% chance against an evasing enemy and aimed shot.

I'm now level 20, the only stats I maxed were guns and throwing (didn't get three pointer yet but gonna get it soon). I use an energy pistol (4 shots in a turn) and a plasma for aimed shots. I finished the Core quests, beat the beast (with traps and bio grenades) and Carnifex, and I think it's possible to finish the game with this build. You can have all the crafting skills maxed with high intel (I think I have 12 intel now), invest in mercantile to get the best gear from Harlan and even in stealth to get ambush. I'm now investing only in guns/throwing/stealth.

Conclusion:
It's a very fun build to play (unless you don't want to use saves) in the end as you get insane aimed shots from your smart amplified plasma pistol (300+ crit damage bonus), thanks to practical physist, sharpshooter and critical power (2000+ damage). I plan to get more sustain crits with ambush (good with incendiary nades as well) and focus stims. Recklessness can help to but I don't think I'll take it.
You have a really low healthpool so you need to craft a lot to have good guns, lots of incendiary grenades and avoid critters and melee enemies to get to you, even with very low mobility. Good boots help to balance the low agility stats. Rathound King armor also helps, with the +1 strength for your moving between areas and movement speed.
I think the only way to improve this build would be to play 14 dex to get 5 energy pistols/turn without meds (13 dex + eel sandwich, 11 intel).

But in the end, it's doable even without a perfect build (like not taking gunslinger) and that's amazing! I also did some little mistakes with my previous build in hard difficulty but it was still very powerful. That's why Underrail is so good, you can do a looooooot of different builds and it's still gonna work. Anyway, have fun!

Shoutaxeror

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Energy build feedback on dominating
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 01:15:18 pm »
Critical hit with Execute makes some amazing damage.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:25:22 am »
And bow try chem guns mostly - it's a rock opera of control and harm inflicting!

Twiglard

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 11:24:43 am »
Obligatory -- Gunslinger only applies to firearms. Better take Critical Power.

Also, Stealth will greatly help you with save/reload vs stealthy enemies and crossbow users in general. It does NOT help w/ Death Stalkers though. Only napalm baths will. One thing that helps the most with Death Stalkers (and Black Crawlers) is the smell of Napalm. Give yourself some breathing room and limit the amount of flanks they can come from. Then throw flares where necessary.

Question #1: Does Steadfast Aim help with energy pistols?
Question #2: Is it feasible to do decent energy damage (vs AP spent) without high-cooldown abilities? One thing that comes to mind is Ambush, Critical Power and an amplifier. 500% critical damage guaranteed.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 11:27:45 am by sthalik »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 11:42:20 am »

Also, Stealth will greatly help you with save/reload vs stealthy enemies and crossbow users in general. It does NOT help w/ Death Stalkers though. Only napalm baths will. One thing that helps the most with Death Stalkers (and Black Crawlers) is the smell of Napalm. Give yourself some breathing room and limit the amount of flanks they can come from. Then throw flares where necessary.

Question #2: Is it feasible to do decent energy damage (vs AP spent) without high-cooldown abilities? One thing that comes to mind is Ambush, Critical Power and an amplifier. 500% critical damage guaranteed.

1. Not really for laser pistol but for 2 others it's all right.
2. Yes, my build was based on this
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2008.msg17964#msg17964
Aimed Shot was my only special attack for EWs.

Shoutaxeror

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 08:57:22 pm »

Yeah, Gunslinger is a waste but I didn't notice it didn't apply to energy weapons when I made thi build.
Stealthy enemies were indeed a pain, and incendiary are damn effective against it.

About your questions : Steadfast aim is in my opinion a waste, you'll rely mostly on aimed shot with a high AP pistol in the beginning and laser pistol spam, once you'll get a higher level laser pistol  is the one you'll use the most, even for the aimed shot. Ambush is really good with incendiaries. I invested in stealth mostly for that feat. Critical power is a must have for many builds and energy shouldn't avoid this.
I was playing without effective stealth (striders boots + antithermic overcoat which allows you to walk into napalm fire) and could get a lot of critics from ambush, I think it only relies on stealth skill points investment. I really would like confirmation on this.