Author Topic: skill point / build ? for a relative UnderRail noob  (Read 12733 times)

CrabClaw

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: skill point / build ? for a relative UnderRail noob
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 06:16:48 am »
This quoted bit is the sort of thing I'm looking for - I'm not looking to make a truly powerful character, simply one that isn't tedious to play / is fun to play.

Reading through this, that is essentially what that advice is telling you - unless you're playing on easy and maybe normal, such an unfocused build is going to feel tedious. Unless you have some particularly sharp and deep meta-game knowledge to make up for the very sub-par build, that is.

You don't have to use a hyperfocused build and be powerful to play the game, but I'd consider focusing this build pretty substantially. Psi (especially metathermics) demands high skill point and stat investment. A psi/xbow user is possible, but as others have pointed out, metathermics isn't the best support school. You're of course fine to try whichever build you want to, but as is you're likely to have a hard time attempting to shoot off in so many directions.

If your crossbow skill isn't high relative to enemies' evasion, you'll never hit them. If your traps skill isn't high relative to enemies' detection, they'll see them and will just walk around. If your metathermics isn't kept up, your high damage abilities won't be so high damage, and you won't proc extra effects as they are more readily resisted. Is the game 'doable' in this situation? Yes. It's just pretty likely to be very tedious, especially in particular areas. And that's not even bringing up your crafting / hacking / conversation skillpoint investment into it. If you plan to play on easy, then I can't speak for that as I have not played on easy.

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 07:46:04 am »
definitely just playing on normal, I never do easy

I consider myself an average skilled player, possibly slightly above?  I beat wasteland 2 on ranger difficulty with relative ease, for reference

I realized it might be useful to let my mindset be known.  Here's an order of the skills in order of how important it is to me to be able to get ALL there is out of them in this build.  Most > least important

Persuasion, Intimidation, Hacking, Traps, Lockpicking, Stealth, metathermics, mechanics, electronics (electronics actually interests me more game-implementation wise, but with using crossbows I figure mechanics is more important)

maybe I'll just take 1 crafting skill or keep them both relatively low for just a few things to make, or drop crafting altogether - it seems I'm either at a point where I just drop metathermics or do this, and I don't really want to drop metathermics

at lvl 19 I've currently got it set to / where I'm at with it:

agi 7, per 10, will 8, int 10

crossbows 105 (158)
stealth 105 (131)
hacking 90 (135) - hopefully this is high enough to get all optional content related to hacking? anyone willing to check that guide would be much appreciated!
lockpicking 105
traps 105
mechanics 40 (60)
electronics 40 (60)
metathermics 70 (93) - forgetting proc / skill after effects like catching mobs on fire, is exothermic aura effective towards near end-game enemies with (93) ? do I bump this +20 and mechanics +20 and drop electronics?
persuasion 90 (120)
intimidation 90 (120)

and desire to know things like: at lvl 19 doing a build like this will I be at a place where the 90 (120) for persuasion+intimdation is all I need / is it too much, but, I won't sweat not knowing too much and will just enjoy the game and hope I get the most out of it (:  just anal like that!

still some time to contemplate on it all

thanks to you all for all the feedback, keep it coming, if you have it
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:39:37 am by drealmer7 »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 03:27:14 pm »
110 Persuasion and 130 Hacking is enough. You need that much Hacking without any tool for ultimate hacking check.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 03:31:48 pm »
definitely just playing on normal, I never do easy

Keep in mind that in this game "easy" is what in most modern game is "hard".

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 04:55:03 pm »
damnit I wish there were more skill points!

at lvl 19 I've currently got it set to / where I'm at with it:

agi 7, per 10, will 8, int 10
hacking 90 (135) - hopefully this is high enough to get all optional content related to hacking? anyone willing to check that guide would be much appreciated!
metathermics 70 (93) - forgetting proc / skill after effects like catching mobs on fire, is exothermic aura effective towards near end-game enemies with (93) ? do I bump this +20 and mechanics +20 and drop electronics?
and desire to know things like: at lvl 19 doing a build like this will I be at a place where the 90 (120) for persuasion+intimdation is all I need / is it too much, but, I won't sweat not knowing too much and will just enjoy the game and hope I get the most out of it (: 

thanks to you all for all the feedback, keep it coming, if you have it
There are more skill points.  You get more skill points by allocating your stats better.  Given your stubborn refusal to hear what several of us have been saying, maybe it's time for blunt to the point of rudeness.  This is, of course, my specialty.

Your build sucks.  Here's what you're doing wrong, and why it's wrong.
You have 10 INT for a build that only has 80 total points into crafting.  That's ridiculous.  That's a total waste of either 4 or 7 stat points (4 if you're going to take premeditation, which if you're using psi, you are)
You have too much Persuasion and far too much Intimidation.  You need exactly 110 effective Persuasion and exactly 75 effective Intimidation.  You can get those both with fewer than 120 real points allocated if you pump up your Will slightly, which will also make your Metathermics almost useful.
Exothermic Aura is only highly useful in two fights.  It's otherwise often useful if you carry a lot of molotovs and drop them at your own feet and then want to walk through the fire but aren't wearing aluminized anything.  Exothermic Aura does not scale with skill.

I know this build isn't how you want to play and thus am not recommending it to you, but look at this specialized psi build.  http://underrail.info.tm/build/?GQMIAwMDEAoPHgAAAAAAUDwAPFpkIzxaS8KHwocyAEEXKyg_FCoWLj0hZGdmClc
See how many effective skill points it has?  If you will focus your build and not allow so much wasted potential, you'll be able to do the things you really want to do.  Because you're splitting between crossbows and psi, you won't have *quite* as many points, but there are a *lot* of skill points in the game if you make a lean build.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 05:42:30 pm »
A point of advice also.
Lots of character build suggestions have CON=3. This is risky, and you will have to reload some times when the crap hits the fan, you step on a mine, get hit by a grenade, someone stealthy decide to carve you up into tiny spagetthi etc.

If you go with 3 CON, I advise you to have some other form of defense, for your own sanity's sake. High Dodge/Evasion, heavy armor and/or good initiative helps.

For reference, I think the difference between 3 and 10 CON is roughly twice the HPs.

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:57 pm »
Well, I will echo what others have said: this build isn't well optimized for combat, and you're going to be doing a lot of combat. Underrail is a combat game, first and foremost. Pumping Persuasion and Intimidation will give you more dialogue options, yes, but if you think you're going to silvertongue your way out of all the tough fights . . .

Quote from: Jules
My name's Pitt. And your ass ain't talking your way outta this shit.

I would recommend either crossbows or psi, not both. From the emphasis you're putting on dialogue, psi probably makes more sense. Crossbows are very fun, but they really want a dedicated build (traps being an acceptable side investment).

Seconding the idea that this suboptimal build might be happier on Easy. If you found WL2 on Ranger not-too-hard, you have some notion of tactics and can probably finish the game on Normal with this build. Probably. Some areas may be very tough. You might hit a wall at some point, possibly when you're most of the way through the game. You've been warned.

I can't tell you much about skill checks, although I can tell you there is a Mechanics check near the end of the game, currently at 120 I think, that lets you skip a tough fight. One this character might really want to skip. Something to consider.

Anyway, welcome to the game, it's great. You may find that you have time for more than one playthrough after all.  ;)

EDIT: just remembered that same fight that you can skip with Mechanics ~120 can also be skipped with a high enough Persuasion check, don't recall the # but this char would probably have it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:52:02 pm by mattu »

Kaarel_K

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 09:32:35 pm »
I can personally vouch for this guy's builds. He knows what he is talking about. The only problem is that a few can be a bit out of date. Like the shredder build that does not quite work anymore.
I have tried Psion, Juggernaut, Mauler and Sniper and they all worked great once they got going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxG64b5SH_o&list=PLODG1adf6vDX-cWo-GPxG4UYuzm9PJOur

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 11:01:27 pm »
Your build sucks.  Here's what you're doing wrong, and why it's wrong.
thanks!  this sort of feedback (with the extended reasoning I mean) is much appreciated!  I like directness/bluntness.

I had had my will at 10 and perception at 7 (with snooping to boost it to 10) for a while, and I like INT 10 because of statchecks for dialogue options , but yeah, I am aware that I'm more spread thin than is optimal.  For the longest time I had just scrapped the idea of doing crafting, but it just doesn't seem to make sense.

The "issue" simply comes down to there being too many appealing skills to jam into 1 build!  this is a good thing, totally awesome, really!  and I'll figure it out

Twiglard

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 06:14:52 am »
I lost my post due to browser snafu. Anyway here are the important parts:

- Uber-grenades. Go for Mk5 only later on due to skill point expenditure. See requirements at http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Blueprint:_Hand_Grenade
- Repair expensive items before selling. It makes a huge difference. Get 50 in Mechanics, Tailoring and (later) Electronics to get a great boost of income from sales! It almost breaks the economy by itself.
- Mid-late game make a shield with high-efficiency converter, two low- or high-frequency good quality modules, and a decent power source. Gun-based enemies will barely ever touch your HP.
- Any NVG will greatly help CTH in poorly-lit areas, unless doing melee.
- Any weapons you craft are vastly superior to what vendors sell. For bursty builds, attach a "smart module" to the goggles and the weapon. A 70% damage increase is just ordinary.
- The theoretical shield damage absorption limit in HP is about 1800 total. I got to 1730. This is a typical late-game character. You'll get at least 1500 for the first crafting playthrough.
- Don't go for electronics from the start. I recommend spending SP -- grenades -> mech toolkits -> an early-game shield -> weapon -> electronic gadgets,  repair kits, all other good build stuff
- Use the wiki. For instance here are the requirements for better grenades -- http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Blueprint:_Hand_Grenade
- Don't go crafting tactical vests too early, you can spend the points better when beginning mid-game content.

sh

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 02:48:16 pm »
- Don't go for electronics from the start. I recommend spending SP -- grenades -> mech toolkits -> an early-game shield -> weapon -> electronic gadgets,  repair kits, all other good build stuff

20-25 points in the electronic from the start will allow him to craft taser. Can happen right after 1-2 first missions if he is lucky with ingredients. Taser is useful for any character throughout the game

Twiglard

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 07:39:15 am »
Agreed!

Thread author, just remember that for taser 100% CTH cheese it doesn't matter the damage. Its purpose is to stun. The cooldown is significant enough so it's enough for 2-3 shots total. Even one is good enough too.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 12:43:29 pm »
Taser is good, just have some kind of backup plan, like ability to survive one round or movement to get away if you rely on the stun, because it can be resisted (fortitude check?).

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 02:51:17 am »
A few tweaks and adjustments based on skillcheck caps and I'm now looking at something like this at level 19:

STR 3
DEX 5
AGI 5
CON 3
PER 8
WILL 10
INT 10

Crossbows 105 (140)
Stealth 105 (113)
Hacking 87 (131)
Lockpicking 105 (113)
Traps 105 (113)
Mechanics 50 (75)
Electronics 50 (75)
Chemistry 20 (30)
Metathermics 85 (128)
Persuasion  83 (125)
Intimidation 45 (75)

Paranoia, Snooping, Aimed Shot, Marksman, Yell, Kneecap Shot, Bowyer, Concussive Shots, Ambush, Premeditation, Elemental Bolts

yell seems so out of character though!  but maybe that is what makes it so effective, so startling coming from such an unsuspecting source

then at 20 I'm thinking I'll put another point into Dex to increase Lockpicking + Traps

and then use spare skillpoints at 20 to pump up metathermics 108 (163)

are there any statchecks in the game?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:01:41 am by drealmer7 »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 04:25:29 am »
Stachecks exist, in general for Perception, other are minor stuff like places you need to climb to get to - Agi.