Author Topic: Lord British kickstarter  (Read 8322 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Lord British kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:30:40 pm »
I guess it will be, out of this world. ;)
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 12:24:34 pm »
God dammit, Styg. Here go my precious, precious bucks. For next Ultima!

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 01:00:44 pm »

What? No, that wasn't my intention. Quite the opposite.

I'd criticize this project but I wouldn't know where to start...

This looks to me more of a parody than Matt Barton's kickstarter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vhynwnsm28).

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »

Don't do it, man. Instead spend your precious bucks supporting:
*Underrail, again;
*Shadowrun,
*Wasteland 2,
*Torment: Tides of Numera,
*Project Eternity.

I  have no hope that this game will be true to the spirit of the good Ultima games, with all they have done to the series after Ultima 7.  :(

Edit: Oh and how could i forget:
*Age of Decadence :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:16:53 pm by LazyMonk »
Utility Belt

pringdew

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:20:54 am »
i dunno, it looks like it might be fun...if you keep your expectations low i bet it will surprise you....

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 12:28:46 am »
I bet it will surprise me too. :D
I am already surprised at how well this is going. It will reach its goal within next the week for sure.
Utility Belt

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 11:19:46 am »
Well it looks a bit like Drakensang (if I remember the name correctly) and that's not the bad idea. I'm also a bit taken by the things he lists on the kickstarter. So yeah, I didn't know that one was being done, so you posting made me back it up :P. I've already backed few other things - turn based game with conquistadors, turn based base building and exploration in zombie apocalypse and base building in old dungeon keeper style on the alien planet (I remember the name of this game - Maia).

While I wasn't yet burned and all of these seem to go along nicely I'm also prepared that my precious, precious investments may go down the drain :P. But yeah, Lord British still is a little wild card for me. So... hopefully it'll go along nicely :).

@LazyMonk

I've already bought prealpha Underrail version, so you can sleep calmly :P. The problem with other games is that I don't really have any memories playing Wasteland, Planescape Torment etc. Which means I'm pretty distrustful towards 'oldschool' gaming they promise in second parts of games I've never played. That is why I'm waiting for how will it go.

Also I've just checked the Age of Decadence site and it seems like interesting idea. It may be my cup of tea - thanks for the tip!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:21:48 am by maheusz »

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 01:47:38 pm »
Heh i assumed you have already supported Underrail, i was suggesting that you supported it again. :D

You do well in not diving in projects you don't trust yet. I am a bit cautious about Torment and Project Eternity myself.
The Return of the Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 have already some gameplay footage. If you haven't seen it yet, i invite you to.

There is also Chaos Chronicles, a german turn based party cRPG, which is looking good aswell.
And if you like first person party turn based dungeon crawlers, there is also Grimoire in the making.

There are so many promising games comming. I havent been this excited about games in a decade. :D
Utility Belt

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:42:31 pm »
Well I already have a key or two for Underrail to give away :P. But I always forget about it and remember only in times like these... such is my poor memory, sadly.

I saw Wasteland 2 videos and screenshots - these seemed alright. But I'll wait for something more. It may be that all Fallouts (1,2,3, Tactics, Vegas, DLCs) made me quite tired with franchise. And Wastelands being the prequel to these... you catch my drift. I much more prefer retro games like Underrail (I'm also beating Geneforge 5 at the moment).

These Chaos Chronicles seem like very nice idea - both screenshots and gameplay works look amazing. Of course it depends how the story will progress, but for now I like it. Then there is question how well translation from German to English will work. They aim pretty high with the amount of the lines, but I'm a bit sceptical. We'll see.

Is Grimoire this retro RPG game I found on Indie Go Go? If yes then I wasn't interested - it's too retro xD. I don't need much in terms of graphics, but these kinds of dungeon crawlers sadly usually lack on the side of story... and that is something I can't forgive. If game has at least graphical level of Geneforge/Avernum I can swallow it. But remaking everything in 8 and 16 bit just doesn't work for me. Of course roguelikes are whole different group ;).

Yeah Kickstarter really allows a lot of games to be made. And I'm waiting intently on how my pitches will turn out. Also I have to force myself - one, maximum two backed games in a month or two. I don't really have that much disposable income and it's easy to just go with the flow...

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:48:35 pm by maheusz »

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 07:21:20 pm »
Well I already have a key or two for Underrail to give away :P. But I always forget about it and remember only in times like these... such is my poor memory, sadly.
Sir, i salute you! ;D

Yeah i get what you are saying about Grimoire. I dislike most dungeon crawlers because they usually lack a meaningful plot.
If i find the story to be good and interactive i'll pm you about it with details.

I haven't heard of Geneforge before :-[. What have i been missing out?
Utility Belt

pringdew

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »
geneforge is epic....  go to www.spidweb.com
they have a number of excellent games, geneforge and avernum are the two best, tons of storyline too.  i personally prefer geneforge series myself....you gotta look them up....

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:39:46 am »
Quote from: LazyMonk
If i find the story to be good and interactive i'll pm you about it with details.

Please do, good sir. I have the same problem with Legend of Grimrock - while it's combat and puzzles are quite nice (in the beginning, after a while it starts to feel repetative). What I don't really like is how little of the plot is left. Supposedly it picks up on the end (that is how spoiler-free I managed to keep myself :P), but I don't know if I'll force myself to trudge through.

And yeah, like pringdew wrote - both Avernum and Geneforge series are very nice. Spanning hundred of hours - many factions to join, quests to make, monsters to slay. And, what is more important the nice, meaty storyline. Many endings. And pretty awful graphic :P. Well I would say that they're younger and more retarded brother of Underrail - isometric 2D with turn based combat. Earlier games (like Avernum 1-3 and Geneforge 1-2) are pretty awful with interface too, but still playable. Actually they started to remake older games - Avernum: Escape from the Pit if reimagining of the first game which is unplayable on Windows 7.

So yeah... I can rant on these for long time :P. But these games are a must for newer turn based RPG fun. Also on their site are demos which span like few solid hours into the game (the kind of that was once called shareware) - with full game code you only unlock it, which means saves are usable anyway :). I'll shut up myself now, before my inner nerd consumes me.