Author Topic: Serrated Bolts Mk II & III?  (Read 2765 times)

binkster

• Noob
    • View Profile
Serrated Bolts Mk II & III?
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:55:01 pm »
Hello! I really enjoy playing crossbow builds and I'm having a blast with the Incendiary & Shock Bolts. I think it's really cool that you can craft stronger bolts depending on the material you use. I'm suggesting being able to craft stronger Serrated Bolts from the different tiers of serrated blades like Serrated Tungsten Steel Blade and Serrated TiChrome Blade. Maybe stronger Serrated Bolts can apply a higher % of the original damage as a bleed over 3 turns? (Similar to the Kneecap Shot feat scaling from perception).

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Serrated Bolts Mk II & III?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:11:34 am »
Not a bad idea, non-elemental special bolts have always felt a bit weak (Serrated, Tranquilizing...)

Sometimes I wonder if the Mechanical Bolt blueprint (that was the original name) was meant to have more bolts than just the Serrated Bolt, like a Pneumatic Bolt or something.

crossfirex

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:32:34 pm »
I think there isn't much you can do with serrated bolts, I mean causing bleeding by serrations is a pretty basic thing, however, maybe an armor piercing bolt variety, that can help pierce metal armor? These things did actually exist in medieval times, I would imagine it's not too far fetched for a bolt enhancement in this game. Another nice implementation would be something that cuts through anti-ballistic armors, for instance bolts that are made to cut through leather, cloth and other materials specifically.

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:52:44 am »
is there an ability to shoot multiple bolts at once?  that is something serrated bolts could do if they don't currently - maybe require a crossbow upgrade to be able to do it?  3 bolts coming from the bow with the potential to spread and hit multiple targets, and of course stack damage if more than 1 hits an individual target

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:11:01 am »
I have to leave this link here since you brought up multiple bolt firing crossbows.  I hope YT links aren't a violation but I'll eat the ban for this crazy man and his contraptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKGjRoSofA

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:25:01 am »
Sadly it seems to go against the crossbow concept, to burst fire like that.

I had an idea for a feat that would specifically buff the usage of non-special bolts, as a counter to the kinda mindless "Special Tactics" feat that buffs special bolts very directly, it would be called Mad Notching or something, would prevent you from using special bolts while the buff was active, and it would reduce accuracy at range but lower your firing AP cost and increase your critical chance, making it so you had an option besides going from A->B, where A is use Snipe/Aimed Shot and B is use special bolts, typically Shock ones.

drealmer7

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 01:47:52 am »
fun videos by that guy!

I think there is definitely room for bow+bolt improvement if desired (I have no idea if there is really a need for it though)

sticky-tipped concussives, noxious gas AoE effects, ooo maybe a type that has a whistle effect as it travels through the air disturbing the mind-waves of psi users

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:55:28 am »
Sometimes I wonder if the Mechanical Bolt blueprint (that was the original name) was meant to have more bolts than just the Serrated Bolt, like a Pneumatic Bolt or something.

Maybe. Maybe other mechanical bolts were moved to a new blueprint. ;)

I like the sound of that!!

PhrygianDominant

• Developer
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 10:29:35 am »
...but I'll eat the ban for this crazy man and his contraptions.

If I had to choose, I'd eat a ban for Forgotten Weapons, but hell, the Slingshot Channel is probably worth it too. But there'll be no ban sledgehammers today (with or without the electroshock), as Tchort found the the derailed man's implement of death rather impressive. Not to mention his laughter. :D

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 05:28:24 pm »
Not to mention his laughter. :D
That's what gets me each time.  "Let me show you its specifications!" and then manic laughter on and off for 5-10 minutes.  Nice to know I'm not the only one who aged out of childhood but didn't really grow up, strictly speaking ;)

crossfirex

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:52:45 pm »
...but I'll eat the ban for this crazy man and his contraptions.

If I had to choose, I'd eat a ban for Forgotten Weapons, but hell, the Slingshot Channel is probably worth it too. But there'll be no ban sledgehammers today (with or without the electroshock), as Tchort found the the derailed man's implement of death rather impressive. Not to mention his laughter. :D

Forgotten weapons FTW, some of the most interesting designs I have ever seen.