Author Topic: Has the Beast encounter been buffed?  (Read 1580 times)

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Has the Beast encounter been buffed?
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:38:32 pm »
I just got to the final part of the Beast questline in the Foundry on my crossbow build (Hard diff). I optimistically started the fight with around 25 pre-placed bear traps (about half were poisoned) and I had about 80 or so shock arrows (with Elemental Bolts feat) so I thought I was sufficiently prepared. After what felt like the 8th or 9th (!) wave I realize that wasn't the case.

I mean I knew the encounter was gonna suck for crossbows anyway because I did it in the past (before elemental arrows got buffed) but this feels like it's slightly overtuned.  The only thing I can think of right now is to go shopping and bring another 30-40 traps.

edit: Beaten it by crafting a bunch of mk3 arrows, but still. Feels a little extreme for a quest that is usually done around level 16-18.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:00:19 pm by bati »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Has the Beast encounter been buffed?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:09:17 pm »
I figured it was just for dominating, but yes, it's been buffed.  I put down 42 bear traps and 20 HE mines (which ended up being a waste), and used almost all of them.  The last line of bear traps were getting used up when I killed the last wave.  I also used 4 crawler caltrops and 3 gas grenades.  I estimate there were 40 bladelings, total.
*eurobeat intensifies*

jubisloviu

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 04:52:51 pm »
There's way more bladelings spawning and waves on dominating, it's the perfect place in my opinion to use gas grenades, they are really useful for their low chemistry and biology requirements, i always level a little bit of chemistry and bio early for the incendiary grenades and adrenaline injectors so it proved to be quite handy.
and the gas itself eventually hits like a truck, you can end the entire encounter with just 10 or so gas grenades, the only problem is that toxic sludge is kinda uncommon to find, but if you have a gas mask you can try checking the toxic barrels around core city sewers or underpassages nearby SGS to scavenge some.

Thanenut

• Noob
    • View Profile
    • gclub
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:33:18 am »
How can I do? I can not do it. I want to know how to do it.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:01:45 pm »
How can I do? I can not do it. I want to know how to do it.
Well, you should prepare.  Without knowing what your character can do, it's hard to say, but here are some suggestions:

1) Buy or create a lot of bear traps.  They don't require any traps skill to use, and the bladelings do a very poor job of finding traps.  Before starting the encounter by turning on the device, lay down traps all over the stairs, and back around on the path toward where your friends will be.  Use at least 30 traps.  If you have Traps skill on your character, consider using even better traps mixed in with bear traps.

2) Come with a lot of grenades.  If you have crafting skill, buy or find toxic waste barrels and make ten gas grenades.  If you do not have the ability to get/make gas grenades, then make/buy at least 20 grenades (molotovs don't do a lot of damage but the Magnesium/Napalm grenades are fine, as are higher-tier HE/frags.  If you do use incendiaries, try to keep throwing them in the same place so the fire intensity becomes very strong.  Even with their high fire resist, bladelings do take a bit of damage from intense fire).  Wear a Utility Belt so you have plenty of slots for grenades.  Throw grenades whenever possible.  As the bladelings are stuck in traps, they will take extra damage from being stuck in toxic gas or pools of fire.

3) Let the waves of enemies come to you, through traps and poison and flame.  The first four or five waves shouldn't even cause you to move.  They should just all die in your killing fields.  Then, with some meds from your inventory and some use of whatever skills your character has, you should be able to finish off the rest of them.  If you have Grenadier and/or Quick Tinkering, the fight becomes much, much easier.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:07:52 pm by TheAverageGortsby »

Delta07

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 08:10:15 am »
One thing that helps is what kind of weapon to use. By using a Chemist build with the Advanced Catalyzer Belt and a good quality Acid Pistol, you will do decent damage to any Bladeling you hit, and the buff provided by the advanced version of the built means 4 less AP to fire and they get a debuff that forces them to take extra damage for 2 turns, and entangling them means even more damage when their turn pops up. Bear Traps + Toxic Gas Grenades were practically made for this fight on DOMINATING.