Author Topic: Does anyone actually use Extended Magazines in crafting?  (Read 4357 times)

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Does anyone actually use Extended Magazines in crafting?
« on: December 17, 2017, 09:54:07 am »
Because I sure can't see why I would ever, under any circumstances, want to use one instead of some of the other, vastly more useful enhancements.

First of all, we have two weapon slots. In most situations, this significantly reduces the need for reloading. Some loadouts, like assault rifle + sniper rifle, may occasionally not be able to properly employ one of the weapons (you get swarmed by melee enemies, for example), but as long as the player initiates combat on their terms, that shouldn't be a common problem.

Secondly, Bullet Strap Belt exists, and it brings the AP cost of reloading from 15 down to 4. That's almost nothing. There are good competitors for this equipment slot, though: Doctor's Pouch is excellent, and you may also want to use either Utility Belt or Trapper's Belt, depending on you build. It's not a no-brainer choice, but for burst-fire builds Bullet Strap Belt does make Extended Magazine essentially pointless.

And thirdly, the actual effect of Extended Magazine is pretty weak, only increasing maximum capacity by 6 or 7 (depending on whether the increase is 20% or 25%) at best, if base capacity is 30 rounds. One more burst per reload, basically. Really underwhelming, considering the previous two points.

So, in my humble opinion, both Extended Magazine and Extended Rifle Magazine are in need of a significant buff.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone actually use Extended Magazines in crafting?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 10:51:11 am »
Because I sure can't see why I would ever, under any circumstances, want to use one
I actually used one when crafting a pistol before Depot A, simply because I had no other mods to use at the moment.

I agree with your point though, extended mags are hugely outclassed by all other mods available. 25% more mag capacity is a rather negligible increase, made even more negligible by the existance of the bullet strap belt. I think 100% would be more adequate and worth sacrificing one of the mod slots for burst-heavy builds. Wouldn't be unrealistic either, extended pistol mags and rifle drum mags that double the capacity exist. Would actually be pretty cool if the extended rifle magazine mod was replaced with a drum.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 11:40:29 am »
I used it on some weapons. They sold well.

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 03:49:30 pm »
The problem is that they are made obsolete with the bullet belt. Imho Styg should nerf the bullet belt and add some reload speed onto the magazine as well. Could call it "high tech magazine" or some such to explain why it is faster to reload with it.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 07:49:24 am »
There's still a few items with limited usefulness like extended magazines, groin guards, vigorous belts, circular amplifier on shields.
For magazines I thought they should be like padding, there's a dedicated slot for them and using it increases total Mechanics requirement a little.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:53:24 am »
That would be an interesting solution, ciox, though certainly more work than a simple buff to Extended Mags. Or maybe not that much more, new inventory graphics would just require some mixing and matching of existing assets. Some new item descriptions, too. No idea about the coding side of things, though. Styg could then also go crazy and add a belt-feed conversion item as a possible magazine component for assault rifles. Then we'd have proper machine guns, and everybody wants those. :D

Thinking about this some more, I'm honestly not sure if even a 100% capacity bonus would be enough to make me want to pick Extended Rifle Magazine when crafting assault rifles. For burst fire, I like to stack accuracy as high as possible so that I can fully leverage the rifle's range, and that means a 7.62 Hornet with a Scope and Compensator. Switching the Scope for a Smart Module is probably more effective, though, but that's irrelevant: there's just no room for the Ext Mag. Same thing if you go for a single shot max crit rifle, which doesn't need more capacity, anyway. Even a nerfed (or completely removed, for whatever weird reason) Bullet Strap Belt probably wouldn't be enough change my mind.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:57:32 pm »
I don't think that bullet belt should be nerfed. Belts shouldn't be compared to weapon components, they should be compared to other belts, and when you do that bullet strap belt is on par in power with them. To get benefit of the belt you pay alternative cost of not wearing other belts, like medical pouch or trapper belt.

Vigorous belt and groin guard on the other hand should be buffed or removed. With all different characters that i've been playing i never even considered seriously wearing one of those.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 02:05:42 pm »
Well, vigorous belt is or rather was useful at the beginning fro buffing your HP along with food for those characters who don't use evasion or doge at all, and have already low Agility, I mean first 4-6 levels, before you find Doctor's Pouch.

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 02:44:12 pm »
3 Con Psi builds should not bother with the HP belt though. Even with it many enemies can still one shot or "one round" you.  :(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:45:52 pm by Sykar »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 06:02:32 pm »
It helps against rathounds in the beginning.

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 09:06:40 pm »
A single one sure. Two or more? Be ready to press F9.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 01:27:11 am »
a Psi build shouldn't have any problems with any rathounds before opening up the world and meeting Ancient Rathounds.  Even then, as long as you have traps or good mobility you should still have no problems.  All you need is a flare and the normal&Alpha ones go running.  Grab/craft a molotov or two and make good use of the fences and the beginning rathounds are trivial; get to safety while they're scared, then take your time and shock them through closed fences.

You sound like you get hit a lot in combat.  If you're playing a psi build - even one with little investment in the psi skills - you don't need to.  I would encourage you to figure out how to get hit less.  Once you're only slipping up and taking one or two hits of any significance in the larger combats, you may appreciate the bonus health, situationally, from things like the belt, or pig leather attire.  At the very least, belt, food, and two pig leather pieces made enough difference for my psi character that Silent Isle was non-threatening on Dominating. It was very threatening without all that bonus health, and the belt was more than any other part.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 02:36:48 am »
It's easy to say "just don't make mistakes and don't get hit and you don't need armor", but in reality, Vigorous Belt can be useful.

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 04:39:18 am »
a Psi build shouldn't have any problems with any rathounds before opening up the world and meeting Ancient Rathounds.  Even then, as long as you have traps or good mobility you should still have no problems.  All you need is a flare and the normal&Alpha ones go running.  Grab/craft a molotov or two and make good use of the fences and the beginning rathounds are trivial; get to safety while they're scared, then take your time and shock them through closed fences.

You sound like you get hit a lot in combat.  If you're playing a psi build - even one with little investment in the psi skills - you don't need to.  I would encourage you to figure out how to get hit less.  Once you're only slipping up and taking one or two hits of any significance in the larger combats, you may appreciate the bonus health, situationally, from things like the belt, or pig leather attire.  At the very least, belt, food, and two pig leather pieces made enough difference for my psi character that Silent Isle was non-threatening on Dominating. It was very threatening without all that bonus health, and the belt was more than any other part.

I was aware and use all the tactis and tips you mentioned sans flares. Also I did not say that rathounds are a problem, only that even against them the HP belt won't save you if you get attacked by more than one. And yes, CC and mobility is the key. Not the vigorous belt.

Silent Isle is not really threatening, just obnoxious because Broderick tends to draw attention from the PSI beetles and gets wasted which in turn leaves you stranded there, forcing a reload.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 06:16:55 am »
Yes, extended mags should at least double the capacity.  They make pistol mags that hold 30 rounds (though they look pretty comical). 

I was thinking about this the other day, though; why not change the gun crafting feat to instead give another enhancement slot?  That seems way better to me than just giving a bonus to damage.
*eurobeat intensifies*