Author Topic: Post your experiences with the new Dominating difficulty!  (Read 64102 times)

Twiglard

Re: Post your experiences with the new Dominating difficulty!
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2018, 07:13:28 pm »
I killed Carni at the first attempt. What the hell.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2018, 11:23:49 pm »
I did it twice - as Garry, and at Arena.

Dizzy

• Zoner
  • How to catch a unique rabbit? You neek' up on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2018, 02:44:00 am »

I'm so jealous! Nice job!

What was your build/spec? :O

Twiglard

« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2018, 01:58:52 am »

I'm so jealous! Nice job!

What was your build/spec? :O

SMG with Grenadier. Didn't need to shoot much. Flashbang does wonders and napalm makes for some silly AI/pathfinding. The incendiary AI is almost an exploit in my book.

Oh, and I lost Everard's "abandoned rifle". Gotta make a different build. I was already doing univ quests.

The first time playing on Normal I had to use serious tactics -- hard metal armor below strength limit, then throw napalm at my feet.

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2018, 10:01:12 pm »
I'm at Silent Isle, classic glass cannon stealth PSI build.

The new uber PSI beetle is fucking retarded bullshit. Stuck because of ONE FUCKING SINGLE critter.

Can't stealth because of strange feeling + sheer number of critters. Can't kill everything without Broderick dying (fucking stupid retarded IA with no sense of self-preservation)

Can't do anything (because of course if Broderick die, you're FUCKING STUCK)

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2018, 04:21:12 am »
I'm at Silent Isle, classic glass cannon stealth PSI build.

The new uber PSI beetle is fucking retarded bullshit. Stuck because of ONE FUCKING SINGLE critter.

Can't stealth because of strange feeling + sheer number of critters. Can't kill everything without Broderick dying (fucking stupid retarded IA with no sense of self-preservation)

Can't do anything (because of course if Broderick die, you're FUCKING STUCK)
It can be tough but if you have a save from before you left, just reload it and go get a bunch of traps and grenades.  Make sure you're at least level 6 so you have Premeditation, or if you're on Classic XP, at least level 8.  You should be able to delay Silent Isle until at least level 8 Oddity/ 10 Classic if you want.  For me, I find the +30 health belt, plus two pieces of Pig Leather are a huge help.  Eat a CON burger too.  You'll have enough health to survive a Psicognitive Interruption.

Anyway, use grenades to make a lot of racket.  It'll pull some of the beetles and the rathounds.  Your goal is to lay down a bunch of molotovs and flashbangs to keep the big beetles out of the fight.  Use Premeditation to get your electrokinesis out to them, while you stand on that little spit of land where Broderick drops you off.  Don't be afraid to hide yourself behind a Force Field to break LOS as well.  You'll be drinking Psi Boosters like they're juice pouches but you should be able to do it.  Once you've taken out the first group (which may come in two waves, if you're lucky), you can Premeditation and then run along the western side of the Isle until you're just barely in sight range of the Goliaths. You'll have about 3 stacks when you get into sight range.  Manually start combat, chuck a grenade to make some noise, and hit one of the goliaths with a fireball or lightning, then start running back.  When your doppelganger coalesces, just mindmurder it and get back to Broderick.  If your traps don't take out the beetles, your grenades will.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:30:02 am by TheAverageGortsby »

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »
Op . . . tional . . .

Optional ?

Optional ?!

NOTHING IS OPTIONAL IN A C-RPG !

COMPLETIONISM OR DIE !

Ok thanks to a lucky molotov I manged to clean the "harbour" and keep broderick alive, I shut down the MP and got Bilocation . . . and I'm still fucked because their is way too much critters including 2 uber beetles around the cargo

Strangely now deaf critters so I can't have them to leave the area using a grenade/pyrokinesis.

Just bullshit. Stupid plain retarded bad Underrail design at it's finest. Thanks Styg.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:13:50 pm by Dieusama »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2018, 08:56:57 pm »
COMPLETIONISM OR DIE !
After my own heart, I see.
Strangely now deaf critters so I can't have them to leave the area using a grenade/pyrokinesis.
Well, premeditation will let you tag anything that's at the edge of your sight radius, or if you don't have premeditation for some reason cryokinesis has a very long range.  So run over, tag one, and run back.  Probably fewer than all of them will follow. If you've set mines and got grenades, you can safely pull them back and kill them one by one.  Stay on the landing, keep the big beetles locked down, and Broderick will both be helpful and survive.  You can bandage him up between the fights.  It's just a matter of pulling well. 

it would be nice if you could sail back to Junkyard and play the rest of your playthrough without a ferry captain in there, essentially removing fast travel from Junkyard and cutting off access to Silent Isle without a jetski.
Can you imagine Gorsky's reaction to that, though?  There'd be nothing to influence Junkyard away from total Protectorate control.  He'd lose his mind.

Then, later, you could get him to recommend Dan as a replacement boat captain.  Foundry got boring after the mine kerfuffle was resolved, so you can get Gorsky to recommend lazy old Dan to take over that - actually quite economically important - job.
"Man, why would I want to go run a boat service when I can just stand here and watch nothing happen?"
"Dan, you could be your own boss.  And who knows, maybe there would be pirates to shoot at sometimes?  You'd make better money than you do here.  And if a customer tries to stiff you, you can punch him and drop him into the lake."
"...you had me at punching random people."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:03:14 pm by TheAverageGortsby »

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2018, 03:17:23 pm »
Industrial bot + triple 40 hp regenerating Death Stalker . . . Thanks, door that let me close/open thee for 30 min to regen my Premeditation ! What an interesting fight !

The archetype of badly done """"""hardcore""""""" difficulty.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2018, 10:12:19 pm »
Industrial bot + triple 40 hp regenerating Death Stalker . . . Thanks, door that let me close/open thee for 30 min to regen my Premeditation ! What an interesting fight !

Oh, that little fight?  Why wouldn't you just lay down molotovs, and keep the Death Stalkers incapacitated so they stay stuck in the fire?  DoTs don't break incapacitation.

You know, your complaints are more and more showing that you don't understand how to play the game, not that the game is bad. You're obviously playing Psi, so here's how to do that fight.

Sneak/walk to near door and open it.  Cryo on kamikaze bot.  Noise pulls Death Stalkers and industrial bot+plasma sentries.  EMP to stun the bots while the stalkers get closer.  Molotov.  Force Field to protect you when the EMP wears off so that all the enemies end up standing close around you. Premeditate.  Force field drops - molotov, EMP, flashbang.  TK Punch if a death stalker resists.  Skip a turn.  Molotov, Locus of Control, Mental Breakdown.  Step inside room, close door.  Open+close on your turn. When Breakdown wears off, open, adrenaline, molotov, EMP, flashbang.

Fight's over but the cleanup.

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2018, 10:35:25 pm »

Oh, that little fight?  Why wouldn't you just lay down molotovs, and keep the Death Stalkers incapacitated so they stay stuck in the fire?  DoTs don't break incapacitation.

You know, your complaints are more and more showing that you don't understand how to play the game, not that the game is bad. You're obviously playing Psi, so here's how to do that fight.

Sneak/walk to near door and open it.  Cryo on kamikaze bot.  Noise pulls Death Stalkers and industrial bot+plasma sentries.  EMP to stun the bots while the stalkers get closer.  Molotov.  Force Field to protect you when the EMP wears off so that all the enemies end up standing close around you. Premeditate.  Force field drops - molotov, EMP, flashbang.  TK Punch if a death stalker resists.  Skip a turn.  Molotov, Locus of Control, Mental Breakdown.  Step inside room, close door.  Open+close on your turn. When Breakdown wears off, open, adrenaline, molotov, EMP, flashbang.

Fight's over but the cleanup.

COUGH*

Sorry, I obviously missed the part where a PSI user must use more grenades than PSI abilities and trick even more the bad IA/design oversights (DoTs don't break incapacitation ! Molotov/flashbang/LoC induced mental breakdown spam ! I'm such a GOOD Underrail player !) even more => So I confirm : stupidly bad """""hardcore""""" difficulty done extremely wrong.

Note that I have NEVER said that Underrail itself is bad :wink:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 10:38:43 pm by Dieusama »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2018, 02:52:32 am »
Sorry, I obviously missed the part where a PSI user must use more grenades than PSI abilities and trick even more the bad IA/design oversights
No, the part you seem to have missed was that Dominating isn't meant to be "facetank, I win" every fight.  I was just giving you the way that requires no luck, and the fewest special abilities so it doesn't much require you have a certain build.  Want a way to handle that with mostly psi?  No problem.

When you pop the kamikaze bot, throw caltrops so you can see the Death Stalkers coming. One EMP for the plasma sentry because you don't want to have to fight through those shields with raw damage. When the stalkers get close to the robots, Premeditate, Psionic Mania, Cryokinetic Orb.  That'll probably kill the Death Stalkers, but if not, follow up with either a Pyrokinesis (if you have Pyromaniac and/or Thermodynamicity) or Electrokinesis (especially if you have Electrokinetic Induction).  Put a ThermoD on the plasma sentry if you feel like it, or Implode the Industrial Bot, but heat and mechanical aren't much help against Industrial Bots on Dominating.  Cryo spam with electro as possible until the bot gets close, Cryo stasis, run to the other side of the hallway, cryo spam + electro.  Eventually it'll die.

Don't want to run back and forth?  Bring a bunch of HE mines, one EMP, and four frags.  Don't want to do any of that?  Figure something else out.  There are lots of ways to win that fight, but if you think you can just run through Dominating relying on raw damage, then the failure really isn't the game.

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2018, 05:25:05 am »
I play PSI and you think I think i intent rely on pure damage ? If it isn't an ad personam . . .

I was just giving you the way that requires no luck

Yeah sure, throwing a lot of grenades with 0 throwing skill surely doesn't involve luck . . .

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2018, 09:11:40 pm »
Ho ho ho the arena . . . 400% more health on DOMINATING! (why, I thought it should by 50%, how naive of me), right.

I know you had this conversation on RPG Codex forum epeli, but seriously, that hp bloating looks so amateurish . . .

Carniflex down, meh. Thanks proxied implosion.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 10:32:58 pm by Dieusama »

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2018, 01:33:36 am »
COMPLETIONISM OR DIE !

Haha, classic! That's my fixed idea motto too.