Underrail > General

Post your experiences with the new Dominating difficulty!

(1/45) > >>

Altos:
I figured that it would be nice for us to have a place where we can post about how much the new difficulty is wrecking us, and maybe have a place where players can go (outside the Dev Log) to get some tips & tricks to conquer the new mode.

So far, the only build that I've had time to try is a 3/10/7/3/7/3/7 (original allotment at lvl 1) pure SMG build on Oddity mode, and I'm fairly confident that it's impossible for me to even beat Depot A with it. xD

I knew from the beginning that it was going to be a train-wreck, since it's a very fragile build early on, but I wanted to try it out anyway. I didn't think it would be this bad, though.

Presently, I'm at level 3 and I can't even kill all of the psi beetles and save Newton. :P The little buggers gang up on me and I'm dead in two turns. Every enemy takes at least two full bursts to kill, and I'm just going through my 7.62 ammo like crazy. Totally unsustainable in the long run. Just to clear the 8 azuridae in Newton's building requires something like 300 7.62 bullets fired from my puny SMG because I can't afford to buy one. :P Junkyard is of little help, either.

And don't even get me started on Silent Isle. My boy Broderick decided that it would be a good idea to shoot at the psi beetles for some weird reason, and then he aggro'd over the Goliath, which promptly used every psi skill in the book to wreck him in 2 turns. Dumbass. :P It would have been hilarious if it didn't leave me trapped on the island.

So, yeah, 3 CON SMG Oddity is a no-go for Dominating mode. I think even with 7+ CON it would be unsustainable. The ammo requirement is just too much for burst builds when the enemies have soooo much HP. Maybe if I ground some levels off of the Rathounds long enough to get Commando and Spec Ops (on Classic, of course), I MIGHT be able to beat Depot A, but I would surely crash and burn in DC if I ever made it that far.

Granted, a lot of my issues probably came from the build itself and the fact that I'm definitely not the best Underrail player in the world, but hey, it sounded more interesting than a LoC psi build. ;)

What about you guys? How is the new difficulty treating you so far? Has anyone beat it yet? (looking at you, destroyor :P)

I expect that, if anyone does end up beating it, it'll be with a sniper build or a LoC psi build. Or maybe a crit brawler, if you can survive the early game?

destroyor:
Well when you name drop me like that ...  :P

Anyway yeah the new dominating difficulty changed a lot of things and rendered a lot of old tricks obsolete.

Lower caliber weapons like 5mm SMG just won't cut it anymore, and you can no longer steamroll people with low tier grenades (due to NPC health increase and their higher evasion). The removal of INT+2 junkyard surprise buff means you can no longer rush crafting right from the start (even with INT 5 ~ 7 char). I'm not sure if I just have bad RNG or there's been a component quality adjustments but you can't craft a super tactical vest that will block all incoming bullet damage before Depot A. In fact, my tactical vest's mech threshold (10) seems to be useless so far ... maybe I should consider switching.

I started an energy weapons char and I've never used so much bear traps in my life. Quick tinkering + bear traps + incendiary/frag grenades + abuse LOS (usually in a room, micromanage trapped enemy health so I don't kill him before my quick tinkering cool down) is a must. Obviously you won't get an energy weapon right from the start so I used a 7.62 Jaguar SMG + .44 Hammerer pistol for my early game.

I had to use unlimited weight cheat using cheat engine because bear traps are so heavy. My justification is this: this is exactly the same as if I just run back to SGS every time I'm out of bear traps and slowly walk back to my original location - no point.

Right now I'm no where close to beating the game - I'm at Core city faction second quest trying to rush the crafting benches.

I get the infused leather nerf now (but I still think it hurts dodge/evasion build way too much). This is because Ancient Rathound are now cannon fodder and it's very easy to farm high quality leather early. This is both good news and bad news for brawler/psi monk as you can get good leather gloves early, but your ultimate damage potential is much lower now.

If I have to bet money on the best build to beat dominating difficulty it would be some sort of sniper/psi sniper w/ quick tinkering. Early game is a problem for every build because Rathound and Rathound Alpha rush you with their sheer numbers.  Psi build will just run of of psi point early game. I think sledgehammer build is possibly the worst build for this difficulty, as NPC have a 30% increase in dodge/evasion. When you missed a hammer swing you are fuck, especially early game when you only get 2 swings.

Sorry for the rumbling. How about you guys? What's your thought/comment/rant for the new dominating difficulty?

mattu:
I'm trying out the new energy weapons options. Trying it with a CON 3 character, won't be surprised if I get dead ended eventually, but so far I'm getting by thanks to abuse of bear traps and quite a bit of reloading. Never played an energy weapons char before and (now) enjoying it quite a bit. A couple more free feats would be nice.

DOMINATING is great, though I'm not sure I'll play on it all the time. Grinding down high HP enemies is one part I'm not crazy about, although at the same time I'm glad "alpha strike out of stealth" got an effective nerf.

I got through Depot A without that much trouble (to me it didn't get near as much of a difficulty buff as some other places) and then ran around cherry picking some easy fights and picking up easy XP around Core City and Foundry. Saw a new and interesting area in the tunnels near Core City that I was not capable of handling just yet. Hit Level 12 and off to do Rail Crossing. Looking forward to what's changed there.

Silent Isle went out of control almost immediately, which was awesome. Watching that happen was one of my favorite moments in Underrail. I held out quite a while, Captain Nitwit less so. I probably should have gone back before now, it may be too easy at L 12. However, I don't think it will be a cakewalk, especially not with the req to keep the captain alive.

All in all, this is great stuff. Would have been happy to pay for it. Styg may need to put some points in Mercantile.

Fenix:
I'm jelous already lol.
Feel urge to abandon my hammer build, but must resist!  :D

Bruno:
These new, random encounters, can they happen on all difficulties? Have you seen any yet, and where can they appear??
I hope I will meet some on normal difficulty as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version