Author Topic: Dev Log #55: Global Map  (Read 23729 times)

Dusty_Monk

• Noob
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #55: Global Map
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am »
It would be nice if there was an indicator for discovered but unexplored exits. For example, a short orange line extending southwards from crossroads and perhaps a short red line extending east to represent a currently inaccessible (blocked) exit. This would remove the need for the player to add comments listing unexplored exits.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 09:30:49 am »
Man, I'm late to the party. And a party it is. Nice one!
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 06:10:03 pm »
That's a really neat addition, even though I think the lack of an in-game map had a certain weird charm to it.

vlad

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 12:45:14 pm »
MAP FOR THE MAP GOD!

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 05:19:47 pm »
Wait, I thought it was for us!
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 11:14:46 pm »
I got high on Elex and look what I got! :o
Seriously though, this mean I won't feel panic attacks anymore when I got lost, also breakpoint for me was a territory near Rail Crossing, after I got past this point things got easier.
Also, sometimes I have a feeling that I forgot to check some exits and there are unexplored areas out there lol.
I think map will help with this, which is simply GREAT.

Also, it will help to acomodate new players.
And now we will be able to tell new players, how hardcore we were in those good hardcore times, when all was a pure hardcore!

PS Well, I think I spent too muh time in Hardcore City Bar.  :D

Wrath of Dagon

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 12:39:36 am »
I may be missing something, but are the rooms on the map only revealed once they're discovered? That would be better for exploration. Would be nice if passages from discovered rooms were shown though.

MetaSieg

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 01:30:13 pm »
Well this will really help with exploring. I was always paranoid that I'd missed an area when I was running around.

alexandergikalo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:19 pm »
Does anyone know when will the update come in with the world map? I want to start a new game with this useful feature :) :)

vlad

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 04:38:05 am »
Btw, will this update be compatible with old save files?

Yosharian

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 06:53:34 am »
Registered just to post this:

I got hooked on Underrail quite a while ago when I heard about it through a YouTuber.

Spent a long time devising a build that I liked, spent an extremely long time absorbing the first stages of the game, was fascinated and enthralled by the game and its adherence to old-school role-playing.

Didn't mind the old-school approach to playing without a map at all...  until I reached the tunnels.

It killed my enthusiasm for the game completely. I got lost more or less immediately, found navigating the tunnels extremely, extremely difficult.  I even went as far as trying to create my own map with a pencil and paper.  But I just couldn't do it.

I guess I am old (36 this year), or maybe I am just too used to having an in-game map.

I can tell you that it's not due to laziness that this happened.  I am the type of gamer that mods out HUD compasses, quest markers, and all kinds of modern game conventions that I think ruin immersion or provide short-cuts where none are needed.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I am really impressed that the developer of Underrail is putting in a map feature, and I can't wait to get back into the game and experience the rest of it!

I think it goes to show how incredible the game is, that I still remember vividly all the parts of the game I did experience.  I don't even have any worries about feeling lost again when I get back into it.