Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 1531 times)

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Two questions
« on: November 16, 2017, 09:31:50 pm »
Do throwing knives are affected by expertise?

Neurovisual Disruption seems... almost never used this particular ability since it looks like another form to enter stealth, how do you use this particular ability?

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 11:27:52 pm »
See here:
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3080.msg16190#msg16190

No, weapons are the things that go into your weapon slots. Throwing knives and grenades are combat utilities.

I think Recklessness is the only remaining old tooltip that still refers to "all weapons" ambiguously.

Expertise
Your non-critical crossbow, melee and bullet-based firearm attacks deal additional mechanical damage equal to your level, up to maximum 25 bonus damage.

So no, I don't think expertise works w/ throwing knives.

Neurovisual Disruption (ND) is not very useful for pure psi. In theory it's pretty powerful for psi sniper/xbow/knive hybrid, just use premediation, ND and you can snipe/cut-throat another victim after you enter combat. However it's not practical because:
- it only works on one single target and if you are fighting multiple enemies others can still see you.
- Npc with flare in their inventory will use them. (you lose all remaining AP + MP after using ND so you are fuck)
- psi sniper/xbow/knife hybrid have low will so your effective thought control would be low. If you have high will your other abilities will suffer. If you really want to sniper (cool down 3 turns)/cut throat (cool down 6 turns) a second time a far better method would be flash bang to restealth.
- if there's only one single enemy remaining yeah you could do this cool finishing move but it's often not necessary

Of course you can use locus of control w/ ND for second snipe/cut-throat (requirement 10 WIL(!)) but that's just not an optimal use of your ability points. I suppose pure psi can use this combo to get out of sticky situation ... but why do this when you can locus + enrage?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:34:13 pm by destroyor »

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 11:34:10 pm »
Well that means throwing knives are most useful when tipped in poison rather using it as clean steel, a shame that particular ability I would dare to say is rather useless as it only fits certain playstyles instead of being an all-around ability, I hope it could get a proper rework in the future, the fact it reduces perception means it could be used against ranged enemies but as I said, I can hope...

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:05:13 pm »
Hm, I'd completely forgotten that Expertise doesn't affect energy/chemical guns. Seems kinda pointless, considering their general weakness and the fact that they wouldn't even benefit that much from the feat, compared to ARs and SMGs.