Author Topic: Temporal Manipulation - combine with Tranquility or Psychosis?  (Read 5302 times)

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Temporal Manipulation - combine with Tranquility or Psychosis?
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:00:27 am »
I'm bored and already theorycrafting a build for Expedition focused hard on shotguns and the new psi school, one of the things I've been wanting to try is a psi Psychosis/Mania/Trance build, but it seems like Temporal Manipulation might not be focused on critical hits very much, with a lot of utility psi abilities in the school that naturally cannot crit and with some uncertainty about whether the offensive psi abilities in the school can crit, since some of the more complex offensive psi abilities in other psi schools cannot crit (like Implosion).

I figured I'd ask since I've been wondering about this for a long time, and who knows, it might bring attention to the issue in the first place.

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Temporal Manipulation - combine with Tranquility or Psychosis?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:08:45 am »
It seems this new school is more an "utility" for 3 will and no tranquility/psychosis build, for people wanting more tactical options at the cost of having 25 % less health

I already planned myself to AT LAST give up "pur" psi build for a SMG build with some limited temporal manipulation : 3 will, no psychosis/tranquility, 70 max skill point invested in TM, and learning only non-scaling abilities.

Too bad we still have no informations on TM related perks . . .

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:13:24 pm »
I think it will give Tranquility build even more versatility and control over battlefield, but I already did run with it (dropped it to not spoil al the joy before Expedition), so I'll try crit psi build.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:51:51 pm »
I think you're both right, right now only 2 abilities in the Temporal school are likely to crit, making Tranquility seem like the far better option, at the same time Tranquility isn't that great other than the cases where it lets you use a psi ability twice per turn when you couldn't otherwise (30 AP cost reduced to 25), so if you don't have that then it really does seem like Temporal would work well as a support thing with no/limited feats allocated to it.

I should make a list of the abilities that CAN crit really, since there's not that many.

Metathermics:
- Cryokinesis
- Pyrokinesis
- Pyrokinetic Stream
- Cryokinetic Orb (best ability for critically hitting with psi)

Psychokinesis

- Telekinetic Punch
- Electrokinesis (note that Psionic Mania might not work so well with this, not sure if activating it guarantees crit to the bounces and not just the first hit)

Thought Control
- Neural Overload
- Psi-cognitive Interruption (?)

Temporal Manipulation
- Temporal Distortion (? - wiki says it cannot critically hit but that seems kind of overkill to prevent even such a simple ability from critting)
- Entropic Recurrence (?)

In general it seems kinda silly to go the Psychosis route unless you plan to focus on Metathermics, kind of a shame since I'm done with my Metathermics character and want to try other things.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:54:08 pm by ciox »

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 03:45:18 pm »
By the way, the temporal ability texts on wiki are copypasta from Dev Log #49 and still subject to change.

I'd love to share some details on how things work, but it's still too early. Nothing's final and afaik at least temporal distortion has changed after the devlog. As for the feats, a smart zoner can probably work out their functionality or at least general theme by looking at their names and what the affected abilities have in common.

For quick reference:
- Future Orientation (all temporal manipulation abilities)
- Psycho-temporal Acceleration (the two psycho-temporal abilities)
- Continuum Ripple (Temporal Distortion)

Translation : You wont get Expedition this year

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 03:50:05 pm »
Sad to hear things are still early but obviously I understand. Hopefully there are more critically-hitting psi abilities in the future as that would address two issues at once (it also partially addresses the complaint some guys have about Psychosis increasing the psi cost of abilities that never crit, since that would be a less common occurence)

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:49:22 pm »
I should make a list of the abilities that CAN crit really, since there's not that many.

- Pyrokinetic Stream
No, it's bugged. Also, it does not trigger Mania.

- Psi-cognitive Interruption (?)
Yes.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 04:14:48 pm »
About psi-abilities that cost can't crit but cost more anyway - it might be not a bug or oversight, but game logic about how all that process with psi happened, so it might seen as unfair, but it is fair.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 01:41:48 am »
Too bad we still have no informations on TM related perks . . .
Well, I *may* know something about it. Can't discuss it on public forum however, PM me.
Self-proclaimed great cheater. Frequent game breaker. Liberator of limitations.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 03:51:07 am »
Oh ho! The Great Cheater who struggles for weeks to change one feat has information on feats. :)

Well, I don't doubt it. Anyone could find these things easily. Just keep in mind you're working with data from 2016. Psst... you could leak your findings publicly without any repercussions if you're brave. It's not like it matters what you say, Styg might get a little grumpy at most! Post the psychosis thing too since it's on topic.
I really wanted to explain the temporal feats. My agenda is getting information (and new releases) to the people, but I've gone too deep under the rails. They're watching me!
That sir, is a lie. I spent weeks AND was unable to change one feat.

I only offer kinda educated guess for a man who may or may how have seen things on the screen after not sleeping for 36 hours and deny all knowledge on things. I already got in some trouble for revealing information about things... and things that lead to more things. If people really want to know then they should talk to me so I can reply them in cryptic message instead.

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 12:20:31 pm »
Ok fine. However since I am always a bit paranoid person I will stick with harmless stuff for now.

We already have an idea about:

Advanced Psi Empathy(it was in one of the dev logs).

Now, with my educated guess, hypothetically speaking we may have(or it would be really cool to have) ability called:

1. Hemopsychosis.
2. Mantra.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 01:52:22 pm »
Ok fine. However since I am always a bit paranoid person I will stick with harmless stuff for now.

Now, with my educated guess, hypothetically speaking we may have(or it would be really cool to have) ability called:

1. Hemopsychosis.
2. Mantra.

Weird, how did you guess?

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 05:53:35 pm »

reinhark

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 08:55:27 pm »

1. Hemopsychosis.
2. Mantra.

Weird, how did you guess?
It was in my visions! After I drank few Mushroom brew!

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 07:10:11 pm »
Well, one Telekinetic Punch, with 12+ Willpower, Force User feat, Telekinetic Proxy active, Psionic Mania, Neural Overclocking...

Say you are Level 12, with the above checked and only 3 strength, you are looking at one 100% guaranteed hit, for about 700 mechanical damage on average. And it only gets better with subsequent levels.

That is not so bad, for going the Psychosis route. Perhaps a bit boring, if you do it in every single combat =S