Author Topic: anti-Carnifex cheese  (Read 7880 times)

Twiglard

anti-Carnifex cheese
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:09:58 pm »
Hey,

I want to share my ultimate cheese against Carnifex.

1) craft a napalm grenade
2) get a flashbang

Now, the fight:

a) If you get initiative, drop the incendiary on Carnifex. It's great if he starts burning but it's not 100% necessary. Why? See below.

The AI starts glitching out and performs non-optimally. Carnifex will run all around the napalm taking around half of his HP.

If he starts burning, just burst him to death. You got a few turns, it's easy and enough.

For bonus cheese dosage, drop a flashbang he doesn't resist, then do a knee shot. It's over by then.

b) Carnifex starts, drop the incendiary at your feet

First off, you must survive the initial volley. You'll be netted for a few turns.

Drop the incendiary right at your feet. This depends on Carnifex burning. You must manage surviving the announcer after Carni dies, but the incendiary is still burning. This is actually pretty hard... Anti-heat gear will help obviously but it depends.

You may also drop a flashbang at your feet if Carni doesn't burn. YMMV.

You can also squeeze the incendiary at the right place so it affects him only. I haven't tried that.

If (a) and Carni starts burning, he's done for.

Vae Victis!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:12:46 pm by Twiglard »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: anti-Carnifex cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:22:19 am »
Carnifex thread?

My crossbow sniper beat him by surviving his first turn, then moving a bit and throwing crawler caltrops at his feet.  Kept running from him until the poison kicked in (my character had a lot of move points), then snipe/aim shot. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Twiglard

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:27:25 am »
How do you hit him reliably? My SMG dude had 40% hit chance even with goggles and the like. Even if he had +accuracy modules that'd make 55% tops at level 20-ish.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 12:14:55 pm »
Tazer? Dude....

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:51:48 pm »
An SMG user doesn't really need to have a very high chance to hit as they put out so many rounds per turn, but yeah, just kill his evasion.

Oddly I've had a reasonably easy time killing him with a pistol user, as Gunslinger usually lets you init before him. If you win initiative he's generally just screwed. Also had a pretty easy time killing him with any metal armour wearer, as he typically deals single digit damage per attack against them.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:18:56 pm »
Oddly I've had a reasonably easy time killing him with a pistol user, as Gunslinger usually lets you init before him. If you win initiative he's generally just screwed. Also had a pretty easy time killing him with any metal armour wearer, as he typically deals single digit damage per attack against them.

Simple. The trouble with him is that he is very fast, being able to reach you on the first turn and get a lot of attacks on you, while also throwing a net to immobilize, using Yell to debuff your combat skills and being able to incapacitate you due to Cheap Shots feat. He also has high initiative, so it's easy for him to go first and if he does, your ability to fight him decreases dramatically (given that you surive first round, which is not always the case). He also likes to use morphine to further decrease your ability to damage him. That is why pistol users actually perform very well compared to many other builds, because one of their few advantages is possibility of having very high initiative. If you go first, he is not that tough actually.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 02:31:58 pm »
Tazer? Dude....

The taser is weird in this game; you can't buy them ever, and I never found one in the wild, but you can craft them right from the beginning, they auto hit, and while sometimes tough enemies resist it, they work most of the time.  It's basically a "remove enemy from battle for 1 round" button that only costs like 10 AP.  I think there should be a melee attack check or something. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 02:54:44 pm »
Entire topic dedicated to cheesing Carnifex and not a single mention of Quick Tinkering?

This Person

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 06:23:12 pm »
One tactic that I've found effective for cheesing the initiative roll is mashing enter just after the autosave. This manually enters combat just before it triggers, automatically giving you initiative.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 07:30:36 pm »
Entire topic dedicated to cheesing Carnifex and not a single mention of Quick Tinkering?

I'm not sure that you can call it cheese. It's a powerful ability, that is certain, but you also need to win initiative or survive first round and not be entangled, which are the main hurdles when fighting Carnifex

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 08:35:01 pm »
I've never done a psi playthrough, maybe I should try before Styg nerfs it all to oblivion. :D Honestly though, every time I encounter an enemy that uses one of the abilities that ignore all defenses, I die a little inside. It's aggravating.

But back to the taser, the 3-turn cooldown is more than enough to prevent it from being OP in the player's hands. But if there ever comes a day when Styg decides to give it to enemies as well, I'll be the first one screaming for nerfs.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 09:31:37 pm »
But if there ever comes a day when Styg decides to give it to enemies as well, I'll be the first one screaming for nerfs.
In that case, shouldn't you be screaming already? Or have you never stood next to a sentry bot?

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 10:51:56 pm »
In that case, shouldn't you be screaming already? Or have you never stood next to a sentry bot?
Uh, apparently I haven't, not on the enemy turn at least. I've only played with different ranged builds, though, and as far as I remember the bots always either shoot back or launch a flashbang, instead of trying to use the taser.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 11:21:06 pm »
Let's compare that with psi buttons. "For 0 AP cost, all enemies are removed from combat for 3 turns oh and by the way your next attack against them is doubled lol" and you think taser needs nerfing? :P
Don't you dare touch my psi, evil moderator person  >:(

::Continues to headbang to "Firestarter" while running around as a pillar of flame::

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:38:01 am »
Heh, psi is only getting better with Temporal Manipulation. Besides, Styg already nerfed it to oblivion back in alpha! :P Yup, we're living in a post-psinerf era. If you can imagine playing psi without having to pay attention to psi costs or range, that's what it was like. Pure psi is still OP once you get the hang of it, but the current form with tiny psi pool and regen is more interesting to play. Now if only we could have Mind Darts put back into the game...
I do remember when the psi pill had no health cost (I think that was only added in closed beta/1.0 release), during the last months of alpha. You could plink away at doppelgangers with Neural Overload without any skill investment, and that helped a lot at making you feel like you weren't totally powerless against them... Even if the actual effectiveness of 0 skill Neural Overload in that role is pretty nonexistant.