Author Topic: Minor tips and tricks for Underrail  (Read 9623 times)

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Minor tips and tricks for Underrail
« on: October 14, 2017, 05:07:06 pm »
Well this post is inspired by a bug post I saw earlier - just wanted to post some minor tips and tricks for Underrail. Please add your own below!

F1 will bring up the interface help screen, but it doesn't tell you you can just hit "enter" key to manually start combat.

http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Controls - control list
http://isometricland.net/keyboard/chart-underrail.php?gam=120&sty=15&lay=1 - keyboard command chart

Looting screen - Right mouse click on an item to instantly loot a single item, "a" key to loot all, Alt + click = transfer item between screens

Inventory screen - Right mouse click then left mouse click on a loaded weapon to unload its ammo. Remember when you recycle a loaded gun you'll lose those ammo. Ctrl + click = instant equip item

Crafting screen - clicking on the crafting component square will auto-scroll through all available components. Ctrl + click will select specific component.

Pickpocketing screen - Alt + click = pickpocket item

Currency exchange - Colton in Junkyard is a ripoff, just exchange your SGS credit w/ Blaine/Jack Quicksilver/Old Jonas to Charons using normal trade.

Want to run faster without using cheat engine? Use Sprint outside of combat and/or wear high grade Infused Cave Hopper Leather armor + tabi/boot w/ boot spring.

If you have high enough bio you can carry ampules and convert organs into useful chem which is far lighter.

Infused pig leather boots increase carry capacity by 30, rathound BBQ adds 1 STR, powerfist adds 1 STR, rathound regalia adds 1 STR - so you can increase your carry capacity by 60 minus their respective weight. Or just use Cheat engine. :)

No one will buy the following items: throwing knives, throwing net, and bolt trigger.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:09:20 pm by destroyor »

Dusty_Monk

• Noob
    • View Profile
Re: Minor tips and tricks for Underrail
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:55:12 am »
Items (components) currently in the crafting window do not count as weight you're carrying. So you may want to pick up the recycle item blueprint and put your heaviest item in there whilst moving if you are encumbered. This does not require any skill. (It is likely a bug)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 05:47:17 am »
Yes, I can't sell hammer's handle, flare, boxes for tnt, and rags - can we have some quest for the last and the flares?
Maybe some humorous - like someone need all these hundreds of rags and flares, and someone wonder why they don't need to anybody.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 06:38:43 am »
I rebound enter turn based from Enter to Tilde. Way more convenient this way.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:39:05 am »
I rebind enter to space bar, personally. 

At the beginning of the game when you're getting your first weapon from the armory, get the crossbow.  Even if you have 0 crossbow and 3 perception, you'll still hit rathounds about 70% of the time from behind the fences, and you can sell it for way more than the knife or gun. 

Try to get the quest to find Blaine ASAP, he sells stuff nobody else in chapter 1 sells, like tabis, rapid reloaders, tichrome bars, etc.  You can buy shield emitters from ezra and katherine, but you can also get 3 or 4 from the prison break mission in junkyard if you decide to go in guns blazing.  Siphoner leather is as good as mutated dog leather when resisting acid, I've found, and is better in general. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:56:26 am »
20-30 points in electronics will give you the ability to craft tasers, one of the most useful utility in the game, even when crafted from low quality components. Wherever you play melee or ranged, it will prove useful to you. And it is one of the things you can't buy or find in this game.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 10:05:38 am »
Siphoner leather is as good as mutated dog leather when resisting acid, I've found, and is better in general.
Not really. At 50 quality, siphoner leather armor has 20%/7 acid resist while mutated dog has 33%/8. 13% more DR is quite a bit of difference.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:07:37 pm »
Yes, I can't sell hammer's handle, flare, boxes for tnt, and rags - can we have some quest for the last and the flares?
Maybe some humorous - like someone need all these hundreds of rags and flares, and someone wonder why they don't need to anybody.

This is a hilarious idea and I love it. You could have Dude or Al Fabet act as junk traders (even more than the actual junk traders in Junkyard) that take in the most random crap ever for nonsense reasons. I can totally see Dude saying something like, "I need 40 sledgehammer handles and 56 flares, stat! The tiny aliens in my Mushroom Brew demand it, and they're not messing around!"

I know that the rags and bottles are useful as molotov components, so maybe the Free Drones could accept them?

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 01:03:29 pm »
You can theoretically sell rags to Rude Rob, they count as "pieces of junk". In practice they're worth virtually nothing, Rude Rob generally won't have anything to trade that's of equal value, and trading them is totally pointless.

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 02:06:41 pm »
Mentioning these mainly for new players. Experienced players will know most of these already.

Seconding taser as an extremely powerful utility that is available almost immediately.

Bear traps are hugely useful and can be used with 0 Traps skill.

Quinton has a locker that is red, but the crossbow inside isn't actually a stealie and you won't get in trouble for taking it. (I hate to mention this one out loud, I expect it will get revised.)

Making a tac vest, even a crappy one, before going to GMS decreases your mortality risk a lot. If you don't mind dying/reloading this isn't so important.

With about 20 Tailoring you can turn rathound hides into leather armor, recycle them, turn those scraps into repair kits, and sell the repair kits for cash. There is a blueprint in one of the early outposts that I'm pretty sure is always leather armor.

If you kill enough cave hoppers one will eventually drop a 2 point oddity. Sometimes you need to kill a lot of them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:41:19 pm by mattu »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »
With about 20 Tailoring you can turn rathound hides into leather armor, recycle them, turn those scraps into repair kits, and sell the repair kits for cash. There is a blueprint in one of the early stations that I'm pretty sure is always leather armor.

Recycling cheap loot items is the cheapest way to get scraps to make repair kits with.  It was quite a while before I realized this myself. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 03:49:53 pm »
General stores (like one in Core City and Foundry) always buy bullets and they often have money pool higher than weapon stores, so:

a) sell bullets to general stores, not weapon stores
b) don't forget to take ammo from your dead enemies
c) don't forget to unload firearms before selling them
d) if your stuff is more expensive than weapon store can buy, buy some bullets from them to even the price, then sell it to general store. You loose some money but you sell your loot faster and earn money faster than usual.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 11:16:01 pm »
Bear traps are hugely useful and can be used with 0 Traps skill.
They're useful, but unless my memory fails me, with 0 Traps skill they're very easy to spot. You need to make a wall of bear traps without any gaps to prevent the enemy from going around them, and while that works very well, it requires a lot of traps and their weight isn't exactly insignificant if you're playing a build that dumps strength completely.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 03:24:06 am »
They're useful, but unless my memory fails me, with 0 Traps skill they're very easy to spot. You need to make a wall of bear traps without any gaps to prevent the enemy from going around them, and while that works very well, it requires a lot of traps and their weight isn't exactly insignificant if you're playing a build that dumps strength completely.

Animals and robots often just run right into them.  Plus you don't need too many; chokepoints, caltrops, little extra running room between you and an enemy for a shot, etc. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 12:28:22 pm »
This is a hilarious idea and I love it. You could have Dude or Al Fabet act as junk traders (even more than the actual junk traders in Junkyard) that take in the most random crap ever for nonsense reasons. I can totally see Dude saying something like, "I need 40 sledgehammer handles and 56 flares, stat! The tiny aliens in my Mushroom Brew demand it, and they're not messing around!"

I know that the rags and bottles are useful as molotov components, so maybe the Free Drones could accept them?

I got in mind that Fallout 2 quest when barman in Vault City asks you to bring real alchohol.
And yeah, Dude seems to be a perfect candidate for it, just imagine - you can't sell 4-5 items in the game, and boom! you finally have found a weirdo that needs exactly that in large amounts, with no real money in return, just some funny fluffy dialogs. Or something like that. Or different.