Author Topic: The lost train, persuasion and joining the Free Drones  (Read 10590 times)

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: The lost train, persuasion and joining the Free Drones
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 08:06:10 am »
We should have a dedicated line during the persuation option to tell the Free Drone that we understand their fight against the protectorate but can't condone the fact that they doom Rail Crossing bye stealing the supplies, then let Rail Crossing have the supplies (ie : not lie to the mayor), and then have both choice offer to us.
So basically I'm in favor of this idea. Letting smooth talkers have an option to fix internal issues of the drones (mirroring how you can resolve the protectorate renegade situation) makes them more appealing faction and more impactful persuasion options are always welcome.

It seems like a bit of an ideological cop-out to me, but I can't deny that any measure to make Persuasion more attractive would be good.

Black Angel

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 03:52:14 pm »
Wait, let me reiterate what I get from what's being said. So, initially, IF we managed to persuade the FD to leave the train alone BECAUSE RC needs it badly.... and then we go to Herve and tell him about the truth about the train, but NOT report to SRO.... then we can still join FD? But that means.... RC can get the train by themselves without having to rely on Protectorate to recover it? What about the ending slides? Will RC get annexed by Protectorate, anyway?

Megaost

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 11:50:40 pm »
We should have a dedicated line during the persuation option to tell the Free Drone that we understand their fight against the protectorate but can't condone the fact that they doom Rail Crossing bye stealing the supplies, then let Rail Crossing have the supplies (ie : not lie to the mayor), and then have both choice offer to us.

Good solution right here. What bothers me as of right now is: Why should the Free Drones dislike/refuse to work with you if you persuaded them to leave the train? Persuasion implies influencing and changing their point of view to where it will now align with yours on this particular issue.

This is what had me frustrated, moreso than how lying to Herve could change things around(although this makes it even more nonsensical).

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 12:00:15 am »
Good solution right here. What bothers me as of right now is: Why should the Free Drones dislike/refuse to work with you if you persuaded them to leave the train? Persuasion implies influencing and changing their point of view to where it will now align with yours on this particular issue.

You persuaded a few grunts sent to execute an operation. You didn't persuade the cell leaders of anything.

Megaost

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 12:13:41 am »

You persuaded a few grunts sent to execute an operation. You didn't persuade the cell leaders of anything.

What are said grunts going to tell the cell leaders, though?

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 12:28:22 am »
Probably that they realised screwing Rail Crossing over just to impede the progress of the Protectorate was wrong. Whereupon they would be reprimanded by the cell leaders for screwing up their task and being easily influenced by passing randoms with a few pretty words. The PC might be able to persuade a few footsoldiers that the ends don't justify the means in this case, but I strongly doubt someone like Trenton could be persuaded of this.

PhrygianDominant

• Developer
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 08:50:35 am »
Probably that they realised screwing Rail Crossing over just to impede the progress of the Protectorate was wrong. Whereupon they would be reprimanded by the cell leaders for screwing up their task and being easily influenced by passing randoms with a few pretty words. The PC might be able to persuade a few footsoldiers that the ends don't justify the means in this case, but I strongly doubt someone like Trenton could be persuaded of this.

This sums it up, pretty much.

There's been a lot of interesting comments here, and I really like the idea of convincing the Free Drones to somehow help RC against Ironheads (but that option will most likely only be possible after joining the Free Drones). I can't promise anything right now as we've got our hands full, but I'll write down some of the ideas and leave it for after the expansion has been released. For now, I'll simply remove the [Lie] option if the player has convinced the footsoldiers to leave the train as I've previously mentioned.

Appreciate the input, folks. Cheers! :)

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 09:52:50 am »
If we are talking about saving RC from Ironheads, then maybe you should consider death of Balor to make some sort of impact on that? I mean, my character killed every damn ironhead he could find on the map and wiped their base from the face of the underrail, yet somehow they still could obliterate RC just fine.

PhrygianDominant

• Developer
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 10:01:45 am »
If we are talking about saving RC from Ironheads, then maybe you should consider death of Balor to make some sort of impact on that? I mean, my character killed every damn ironhead he could find on the map and wiped their base from the face of the underrail, yet somehow they still could obliterate RC just fine.

Noted. :)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 06:27:03 pm »
Honestly to say, that option FD helping RC isn't very realistic relatively to rel life, as any resistance movement \partisans only cares about their movement's survivability, not about peasants around, and demand from them under threat of torture and death.

But... in game perspective it doesn't matter possibly.

Lyca0n

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 12:04:40 am »
Honestly to say, that option FD helping RC isn't very realistic relatively to rel life, as any resistance movement \partisans only cares about their movement's survivability, not about peasants around, and demand from them under threat of torture and death.

But... in game perspective it doesn't matter possibly.

Not at all true the FARC,IRA,EOKA and Modern ELN along other movements base their tactics upon the support and aid in which these communities provide,especially in small and rural communities but not limited to such

As a example the IRA (A movement which excelled at urban guerilla warfare and winning the propaganda war) during our War for Independence lived and died from the support they possessed from rural communities which aided their asymmetrical warfare by hiding arms,feeding fighters,masking members and spreading the misdeads of the Brits being the Brits (spreading propaganda) like rail crossing back when my country was a shithole. A tradition which unfortunately was upheld by many communities during the Provo IRAs campaign despite their immoral actions.

Other movements sometimes even provide aid to these areas to garner the support of groups disenfranchised by the governing power (eg. ELN atm provides cash/medicine for communities and aids in construction efforts in exchange for hiding spots from the Columbian government and potential fighters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V34r_lTZNjg .)

That isn't to say Insurgent movements which commit such actions don't exist but their tactics tends to have much less local support and usually ends up controlling its occupied territory through tyranny,but that tends to get you hated by everyone like ISIL or the United National Liberation Front in india. However Free drones don't strike me as the type to do this considering that they have cells trading in the junkyard which weren't discovered by the protectorate (so probably a few locals with loyalty to the anarchy) and quite a lot of sympathizers across the southern rail that would label the institute of Tschort as terrorist before them.

P.S: Sorry for necroing the topic but felt like going full Bio warfare pirate anarchist for expedition but the rail crossing actions made me feel like a heartless bastard that doesn't care at all for the settlements I claim to be protecting from the war crimes squad.....Which ironically does care slightly for it's expansion of territory,power and influence ......oh well but on a side note hope to see some more fasci....I mean protectorate and free drones love soon after expeditions final polish is done :)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 12:23:59 am by Lyca0n »
"To him who looks upon the world rationally, the world in its turn presents a rational aspect"-Hegel

porosty

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2022, 12:41:42 am »

This sums it up, pretty much.

There's been a lot of interesting comments here, and I really like the idea of convincing the Free Drones to somehow help RC against Ironheads (but that option will most likely only be possible after joining the Free Drones). I can't promise anything right now as we've got our hands full, but I'll write down some of the ideas and leave it for after the expansion has been released. For now, I'll simply remove the [Lie] option if the player has convinced the footsoldiers to leave the train as I've previously mentioned.

Appreciate the input, folks. Cheers! :)

I apologise for resurrecting this topic - but: Has anything changed in that regard?
It would be cool to have the option mentioned here and there: to persuade Free Drones to leave the train, help Rail Crossing to get supplies then lie to Protectorate who did this and THEN to join/help Free Drones...