Author Topic: The Future of UnderRail and it's main storyline  (Read 7224 times)

Sanger

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of UnderRail and it's main storyline
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 05:46:04 am »
They could always do an expansion to Underrail 2 that used the protagonist from the first game rather than from the second. Similar things have been done in some other expansions, like for NWN/2. But I think it more likely that they might get around this problem by using Underrail's underpinning theme of temporal weirdness.

Dizzy

• Zoner
  • How to catch a unique rabbit? You neek' up on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 08:16:29 pm »
They could always do an expansion to Underrail 2 that used the protagonist from the first game rather than from the second. Similar things have been done in some other expansions, like for NWN/2. But I think it more likely that they might get around this problem by using Underrail's underpinning theme of temporal weirdness.

I understand that there could be some value in doing something like that. But frankly, that might be a little too difficult to implement as a DLC for a sequel. The "temporal weirdness" thing you mention, that's exactly the type of "half-@$$'d" plot device/writing that spurs an RPG sequel T_T. I feel a sequel would taint the story, more so than a "good DLC" to an original-game ever could.        (DLC>Sequel)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 08:28:16 pm by Dizzy »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 10:25:15 pm »
There isn't much point discussing the potential Underrail 2 at this time, but if we do make it, you will almost certainly be playing from scratch (for many reasons).

Dieusama

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 07:36:58 am »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

Dizzy

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 07:55:36 am »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

/Hugs

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 05:07:05 pm »
There isn't much point discussing the potential Underrail 2 at this time, but if we do make it, you will almost certainly be playing from scratch (for many reasons).

I'm quite happy to start from scratch, but I am distressed by that "if". I am quite attached to the world of Underrail and new developments from Stygian. Perhaps to a slightly unreasonable degree.

Styg, I know you've got plenty of other stuff to think about right now, but maybe after the expansion is out you could give us an overview on where Stygian is headed. Allow those of us with excessive attachment to scale our expectations appropriately.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 10:49:42 pm »
Originally, I wasn't going to post here because I don't like to speculate on these things and get myself and others all hyped up for possibilities which may not be realized, but what the heck. Styg has commented here, so I guess he doesn't mind us discussing this.

3. We play with a completly new protagonist starting at level 1

(...)

I wouldn't mind the third option either, it's certainly the easiest one to pull off without breaking the immersion. Meeting NPCs from the previous game or even our old protagonist from a different perspective would have a certain charm.

In my personal opinion, this seems like the wisest option for several reasons.

First, it doesn't require players to have beaten Underrail in order to understand what's going on in the second game, which is hugely important considering how few members of the community have actually completed a play-through. If the Steam forums are any indication, most people quit once they reach Depot A--or if they're more rugged, Deep Caverns.

Second, a fresh start with a new character means that there doesn't have to be any crazy timelapse vertigo shenanigans explaining why the original player character lost all their gear, skills, stats, and levels on the train ride north. I don't care how well it's executed, people still won't like it.

Third, it allows us the possibility to see the Underrail from the perspective of someone who grew up in the North instead of the South like the original PC.

Fourth--and for me the most exciting--it means that we might be able to interact with the protagonist like they're just another NPC. Maybe Underrail 2 could take place a few years after the events of Underrail, and the protagonist has seated themselves as the leader of the Protectorate/Free Drones/Oculus/whatever, depending on your actions in the original. Or, since that would be very cumbersome to pull off, maybe they just become a bartender who is looking for Tanner undercover. Regardless, it brings up a lot of cool possibilities. Maybe you could even fight alongside your original character against Tanner, or you could actually fight against them in a match to decide who's the better protagonist. :P

Or maybe the canon ending is the protagonist becomes the next Dread Pirate Roberts on the Black Sea, or they take over Tanner's job at SGS? (But that's less exciting. ;))

Whatever the result may be, there's a lot of potential in a full restart. Yeah, you won't be able to continue your original journey and maintain your role-play, but this way you get the opportunity to play a whole new role. I do honestly think it's too early to be discussing all of this stuff, though. Don't tell me the hype for Expedition has burned out already! I still want to sail the high sea(s) on my jet ski and stab people in the face with spears like Achilles! Also, the new music sounds rad as hell. Hype!

EDIT: On a completely different note, I see that the devs have ascended from Faceless into Godmen. Congratulations! Just don't let Azif find out, or he'll never stop pestering you guys for autographs. ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:54:03 pm by Altos »

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 05:29:39 am »
Don't tell me the hype for Expedition has burned out already!
Kind of hard to keep the interest after waiting for a long time with little news.
There are such an abundanoe of digital pasttimes today, that a developer team has to be active with communiaction if they wish to keep an active community.

(The guys from Paradox are a good example. Always buggy games on release, but daily feedback to the community, and weekly dev diarys. The players keep the faith and await the updates with anticipation.)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 06:36:53 am »
I don't care if it will be new PC, or same PC, will it be 1 lvl or 25 lvl.

But I think that we need Expedition - not "as soon as possible", but soon, in the first appropriate time window.
For now DOS2 dominates minds, in next month or two people will get enough of it, and after that it wil be the time.
I'd promised I would help quickly test the game and report bugs if I knew what would happen to me tomorrow, but I don't.

So my advice is to release expansion faster, in time window that is most appropriate for this, bugs will be stomped with community's help.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 07:27:24 am »
Styg, I know you've got plenty of other stuff to think about right now, but maybe after the expansion is out you could give us an overview on where Stygian is headed. Allow those of us with excessive attachment to scale our expectations appropriately.

I will do this.

Dizzy

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 08:22:12 am »
I will do this.

@Styg   Looking forward to the update.

@Altos   Yes, it's another chance at roleplay... but I hate how sequels continuously mar/taint the continuity and overall feel of the original RPG. "Good" RPG sequels are hard to come by, and I don't feel like Underrail's ending really sets up for a new character story (starting at level 1). Unless there's a planned Underrail 3 and 4...

I don't like the idea of a sequel in this scenario, and not only for the story-oriented concerns, but for the legacy of Underrail 1. But obviously if there was going to be one, now would be a pointless time to discuss it. 
-----------------------

Underrail still has a big opportunity with future story-based DLC, and the ability to wrap up a story in an interesting and compelling way. 

mattu

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 05:50:37 pm »

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 02:28:17 am »
Underrail 2: release date 3026

Crowley

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2017, 05:50:20 pm »
I was reading the different ending conditions on the wiki, and it got me thinking of having the protagonist from the first game as an NPC in the sequel as well. That could allow for a minor "old save bonus" too, with the character perhaps providing some extra training and/or equipment to the new main character depending on the character build on the old save and such.