Underrail > Suggestions

New weapons and items

(1/4) > >>

nameunknown:
Dear UnderRail developers,

It is very upsetting that there is no flame thrower   and grenade launcher.
Game needs weapons like light machine gun (K MG36, Mark 48, Kalashnikov LMG).
I would like to see portable force field in the future.

Tygrende:
The thing is, while cool, those weapons wouldn't bring anything entirely new to the game. All the niches they would fill are more or less filled by already existing weapons.

--- Quote ---flame thrower
--- End quote ---

Pyrokinetic Stream is just that.

--- Quote ---grenade launcher
--- End quote ---
Grenades already exist and fill their role pretty well.

--- Quote ---machine gun
--- End quote ---
Assault rifles and SMGs are all about burst fire. Shotguns will have bursts as well.

--- Quote ---portable force field
--- End quote ---
Not sure what you mean here, but isn't energy shield exactly that?

The amount of cool things that could be implemented is unlimited, but development time and resources are. There are simply tons of things that need to be done and have higher priority, such as bug fixes, content that fills entirely new niches, etc.

nameunknown:
Wait a second. For example, I don't want to play using psi abilities and to spend my points on "throwing", this means that I can't use all advantages of throwing weapons and Pyrokinetic Streams. Shouldn't the alternative be there?
Light machine gun can have high strength, but not the accuracy.

Tygrende:

--- Quote from: nameunknown on August 22, 2017, 06:57:17 pm ---Wait a second. For example, I don't want to play using psi abilities and to spend my points on "throwing", this means that I can't use all advantages of throwing weapons and Pyrokinetic Streams. Shouldn't the alternative be there?
--- End quote ---
I'm not sure I understand.

Pretty much every offensive skill offers multiple different weapons/abilites that you can focus on and ignore the rest if you so wish. Just because you put points into guns doesn't mean you have to use all of them, it's exactly the same for throwing and psi. There are tons of viable builds that can pick one of the psi schools for a few specific abilites that have a complementary role and ignore the rest.

--- Quote from: nameunknown on August 22, 2017, 06:57:17 pm ---Light machine gun can have high strength, but not the accuracy.
--- End quote ---
But that's what assault rifle bursts are right now. Extremaly high damage potential but the precision drops very rapidly as range increases.

UnLimiTeD:
If someone wanted a more "machine gun"-esque weapon, we could easily have drum magazines for Assault Rifles, including completely nonsensical mods to make them function however you like.
Problem is: Adding new items with actually different looks to the game is a lot of work, and will only be done if it adds something to the experience.
Let's take, f.Ex., a grenade launcher. It would probably require a "heavy weapons" skill of sorts, but let's ignore that for now.
There's two options:
A) It's completely OP.
B) It's Ammo is so scarce or expensive that it's barely ever used.
B of course doesn't exclude A.
However, I can for the life of me not think of any way this would actually open up new play styles.
Whether you spend points on some new weapon skill or on throwing or pyrokinetics doesn't make a difference when the points expenditure and result are the same.

Of course, if you just more options without spending the points, then.... no.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version