Author Topic: Dev Log #54: Specialization and Veteran Level Changes  (Read 28286 times)

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #54: Specialization and Veteran Level Changes
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 12:30:41 am »
Problem is energy users usually have a CON of 3, one EMP vs PM(shield + dual energy weapons + goggles + Regen vest + taser) = a world of hurt. Perhaps we can get an anti-EMP utility with a super high electronic requirement?
You don't necesarily need to have 3 CON, that's a choice and like any other choice, it has its downsides. As a matter of fact plasma pistols can benefit quite a bit from 9 CON to pick Survival Instincts.

In your example you are using as much electronic gear as possible, so naturally EMP-throwing enemies will be your worst enemy and should be prioritized. Again, choosing to use all that gear and letting your total capacity reach crazy high numbers has obvious benefits, but there should be downsides as well.

I don't think a hard counter to a hard counter is a good idea, it would trivialize the entire mechanic.

As I said, I don't think every enemy should start throwing EMPs, but I think they should be more common than they are now.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 04:28:13 am »
Not necessarily a hard counter, but perhaps some sort of crafting component that you can use in place of components like amplifier or converter. And it will make energy shield loose less power from being exposed to emp burst depending on the quality. It will not completely negate the usefulness of EMP grenades and mines, but also it would have cost of not using different component. With increasing the use of emp stuff, component like this would have it's use, but wouldn't be overpowered

No, you are my favorites, but you kill my precious NPCs in a way that makes me want to nerf things.

Awww, you say such sweet things, Styg  :)

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 08:14:55 am »
Regarding high Crafting Skills; rather than just adding the occasional higher quality component, you could also feature more Mod Slots unlocked at high veterancy crafting levels.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 01:23:28 pm »
Not necessarily a hard counter, but perhaps some sort of crafting component that you can use in place of components like amplifier or converter. And it will make energy shield loose less power from being exposed to emp burst depending on the quality. It will not completely negate the usefulness of EMP grenades and mines, but also it would have cost of not using different component. With increasing the use of emp stuff, component like this would have it's use, but wouldn't be overpowered

I like this idea. It maintains the give-and-take of the crafting system while allowing for a defensive advantage in very specific, deadly scenarios.

Regarding high Crafting Skills; rather than just adding the occasional higher quality component, you could also feature more Mod Slots unlocked at high veterancy crafting levels.

I feel like, if I am understanding you correctly, this idea could cause problems if it was implemented. Many crafting components for items like weapons, shields, psi headgear, and armor have effects that would defeat each other if placed on the same item. (Like Energy Converters and Amplifiers, to use the example of shields). Not to mention that some combinations would be downright ridiculous (like wearing two overcoats on a vest, or two sets of lenses in a pair of NV goggles). If such an option was to be provided at veteran levels, it would necessitate the creation of a whole new series of crafting components.

Plus, if the Specialization system was to be maintained with this implemented, there would have to be a feat that related to it.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 03:19:04 pm »
Increasing crafting material quality lets you scale the power of crafted items very predictably.  Adding a new space for a mod would be enormously more complex to implement and balance.  Much as I enjoy crafting in Underrail I think that would be either an underwhelming change, or else it would make crafted items so much more powerful that there would be no strong argument for not playing a crafter.

Imagine stacking a second HEC on a shield gen, or adding a plasma chamber to an incendiary pistol.  That would be briefly amusing but boy would it be exceedingly powerful.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 08:04:32 pm »
*snip

Allowing of the further skill scaling beyond the 25th level, however, requires us to provide some use for such high skill levels, particularly in crafting. To address this, the end-game areas and stores will have some of its loot/stock scaled up if the Expedition DLC is installed, particularly when it comes to crafting components.

*snip

So will existing saves have their loot/stock reset as well or will this only applies to new saves?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 06:50:50 am »
*snip

Allowing of the further skill scaling beyond the 25th level, however, requires us to provide some use for such high skill levels, particularly in crafting. To address this, the end-game areas and stores will have some of its loot/stock scaled up if the Expedition DLC is installed, particularly when it comes to crafting components.

*snip

So will existing saves have their loot/stock reset as well or will this only applies to new saves?

Regarding loot, it will apply but only to areas that you haven't visited yet. Merchant inventory will be updated with the first regular periodic restock.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 10:33:00 pm »
Thanks, looks like I need to stop my test chars right before entering DC.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2017, 07:31:07 pm »
Hmm, I just wondered:
Newer PnP games, or those with flat calculation mechanics for health, have a lot less problem with power creep.
Maybe balance problems in fights could be averted by slightly reducing the impact of leveling on the characters durability (potentially more at the start to balance it, of course)?

@Styg
So, given that "not enough hardcounters" is not the problem with energy shields, what would you try to change? Barring making all components useful, of course.
Directional shields? Timed fluctuations? Stronger shields that also reduce the wearers damage output? Bots that target based on EM emissions?
For all I can think of, I'm not quite sure I know what you actually think is the prime problem. I mean, body armour doesn't offer a lot of "tactical" choices, either, once you decide which one to wear.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 07:21:21 am »
Shields should not be as passive as body armors, in my opinion. As usual, I'm not going to discuss implementation before I actually implement it, but yeah timing, directionality, mobility and that sort of stuff could come into play.

Anyway, I'm not sure when I'll have time to address the shields. I suspect it won't be anytime soon.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2017, 06:22:06 am »
A weird idea about shields would be to make them work more like in other games where shields are a thing that's not very strong but quickly regenerates, so you still have to use terrain and crowd control as your shield can't absorb a whole mob's turn of attacks at once, however this might create more "popamole" gameplay where you duck in and out of easy cover.

Direction-based sounds pretty damn interesting too though, Agility builds would have an advantage against some shield users since they could afford to move and shoot at them from the side or back more frequently than other builds.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2017, 06:19:16 pm »
Passive and active modes?
Shilds that acts as player - I mean had active abilities with cooldown?
Like you can activate mode for 3-6 turns then wait for recharge or something?
Interesting.

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2017, 10:57:57 am »
I heard the voice of Tchort today... It said, "Christmas 2017".

But what does Styg say? ;)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2017, 11:21:30 am »
I heard the voice of Tchort today... It said, "Christmas 2017".

But what does Styg say? ;)

I'll remain quiet until the hour has come, this time. ;)

Hazard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2017, 12:23:15 pm »
Ah well, it was a good try.

A question I may actually get an answer for: is there going to be new unique weapons for the base game weapon classes?