Author Topic: Doppelganger after death  (Read 2378 times)

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Doppelganger after death
« on: August 03, 2017, 06:41:48 pm »
How long do Dopplegangers last after the death of the Psionic who spawned them? is it dependent on Psi strength? I just had two of them last for 3 rounds after. For immersion, and perhaps balance, unkillable and strong enemies who last that long seems off.

Cmdr. DuctTape

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Commander on deck!
    • View Profile
Re: Doppelganger after death
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 07:19:21 pm »
They are not unkillable, but you can only damage them with psi powers. They last up to 5 turns, so your best option is to just run away from them.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 10:11:05 pm »
I have seen every doppelganger lasts for 3 turns (4th turn only to dissipate), it doesn't matter if the user who spawned it has been killed or the level of Though Control, they are like an independent entity.

STEN

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:25:01 pm »
I agree. It's immersion breaking thing. I can't understand concept of it. Phisically immune creature, that can cause phisical damage?
Ok. maybe it's kind of emanation of "mental force of caster" but why in that case it stays alive after caster dies? It's contrary to ingame lore, btw. And contrary to behavior of it;s prototypes which disappeared after their "caster" died. I'll cut here to avoid spoilers.

I'm not talking about game mechanic here. After all it's typical part of any magic system, be it this game and other CRPG.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 01:28:46 pm by STEN »

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 01:48:46 pm »
I agree. It's immersion breaking thing. I can't understand concept of it. Phisically immune creature, that can cause phisical damage?
Doppelgangers don't deal physical damage, they deal mental damage.

Remember reading e-mails on Wasi Abdul's laptop in Deep Caverns? I imagine that's pretty much what happens to PC.

Ok. maybe it's kind of emanation of "mental force of caster" but why in that case it stays alive after caster dies? It's contrary to ingame lore, btw.
Not necessarily. No one ever said billocation takes any conscious effort after the initial cast. Your brain was already afflicted.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 02:20:47 pm »
I always thought Doppelgangers is a psi projection in your mind. When it hit you and deal damage it's really you hurting yourself. If this is the case it make sense it doesn't disappear even when the original caster died.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 09:49:19 pm »
And since this is a doppelganger thread, here's something interesting: take a close look at Ezra's doppelganger.

I rememebr I did it, and there was something curious, but already forgot what exactly.