Author Topic: Syphoner man?  (Read 11599 times)

snake2243

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Syphoner man?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 04:26:48 pm »
I aquired a picture from another player showing a human corps of a syphon. i dont think this person was meming though.

If you must know, that was a shroom trip gone wrong. Lucifuga likes breaking everything he can with traps, so he went and killed one of the motion hallucinations... or maybe it wasn't a hallucination? Maybe he was talking with a frog all the time? Whichever the case, that is not the siphoner man you're looking for.

Real siphoner men wear clothes! Naked siphoner men would just cause A Heap Of Trouble.

Danmit! well thanks for the information on that one. guess ill delete the little post on that one.

Lucifuga

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 06:55:04 pm »
I aquired a picture from another player showing a human corps of a syphon. i dont think this person was meming though.

If you must know, that was a shroom trip gone wrong. Lucifuga likes breaking everything he can with traps, so he went and killed one of the motion hallucinations... or maybe it wasn't a hallucination? Maybe he was talking with a frog all the time? Whichever the case, that is not the siphoner man you're looking for.

Real siphoner men wear clothes! Naked siphoner men would just cause A Heap Of Trouble.

Danmit! well thanks for the information on that one. guess ill delete the little post on that one.

Guilty as charged

Set up the traps beforehand and then talked to Sergio the Wizard to get into motion
Was initially curious if the old man's inventory changed when he transforms but it looks to be just a graphic swap vs a character one
Was hoping for an unobtainable drop forgotten during development
Took a screenshot of the scene to add on to the mysticism of the anomaly - Here be the place

Sorry to have yanked your chain like that
Best of luck finding him

Megaost

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 08:54:25 pm »
Wow, so much cool lore in this thread that I haven't discovered yet!

Yeah, I definitely see what you mean, but given the info presented by the Faceless Commander (that is: that the Faceless collected his body), I think it's safe to say that they are not the same person. Although, maybe it was the physical appearance of the Mouth of Tchort which inspired Eidein's costume?

Oh, and sorry for derailing this thread so much. :P

Could you tell me what the particular conversation branch for this is? I tried to replay a Deep Caverns save after my last post here to talk to the commander, but I couldn't seem to get any information about Eidein from him. Underrail shows as "Underrail [Experimental]" in steam, with the experimental beta being opted into. Is this all that is required? Maybe the save is too old, or shouldn't that matter as long as I am playing the experimental branch?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:57:46 pm by Megaost »

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 02:12:44 am »
As always, caveat lector. This post contains major spoilers.

Could you tell me what the particular conversation branch for this is? I tried to replay a Deep Caverns save after my last post here to talk to the commander, but I couldn't seem to get any information about Eidein from him. Underrail shows as "Underrail [Experimental]" in steam, with the experimental beta being opted into. Is this all that is required? Maybe the save is too old, or shouldn't that matter as long as I am playing the experimental branch?

I'd be happy to help. :)

The information concerning Eidein's fate is revealed in dialogue by selecting the option "I noticed that you have Tchortist captives in the base." This option only becomes available, naturally, after the player enters the room adjacent to the Commander's where the captives are being held and (I think) initiates dialogue with one of them.

Selecting this options leads to the Faceless Commander telling you that they were captured during the invasion, at which point you can select "Did you read their minds as well?" and then "Can you tell me what you found out?" following that.

This results in the Commander telling you a lot of really neat information about the Institute, Tchortism, ulterior motives, and all that fun stuff. Selecting "What are their motives? Power?" yields more information, this time on Eidein and Tchort specifically. At this point you should select "And why do you think that is what Eidein's goal was?", which results in the following paragraph being relayed.

"His body has yet to be examined, but we have sufficient data to assume that Eidein had underwent multiple mutations over the years, altering his appearance, capabilities and lifespan to a significant degree, and that he had no intention of halting his personal progress. The concealing nature of his as well as all Tchortist clothing exist for that reason -- so that he may work on himself under the mask of secrecy; by sharing it with his subordinates he legitimizes it, makes it appear transparent when it is in fact oblique."

Pretty cool stuff, right? Although, this statement does not directly confirm that the Faceless have obtained Eidein's body, only that it has yet to be examined (but one can assume that it is in their possession, as they would have to be the world's biggest idiots not to claim it immediately after his "death").

Also, may I just say that I think the writing in this game is excellent. Seriously, all the people who say that Underrail has sh*tty writing clearly never made it past Junkyard. The writing is brilliant, and I love you guys for it. Keep it up, StygSoft. :)

Megaost

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 02:59:10 am »
Wow, thanks man! I think it's because I didn't enter the room with the Tchortists that I didn't get the branch at first.

Who was it that said Eidein's body was never found again? I agree though, it does strongly imply that they have him in their possession. Why "death" though? Is there something else I have forgotten about?

I agree 100% about the writing. The writing, story and character development in this game is just about the best I have ever encountered. To me this is the main reason that this game has such staying power. There's always something to discover and discuss. It's strange how the best games just come falling out of the sky sometimes. This is easily in my top five list of all games I have ever played.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »
Who was it that said Eidein's body was never found again? I agree though, it does strongly imply that they have him in their possession. Why "death" though? Is there something else I have forgotten about?

The ending of the game is told through a lengthy sequences of slides that vary according to which quests you completed (and how you completed them), which factions you joined, which lore you unearthed, etc. etc. You can find a list of all possible endings (to my knowledge) over on the wiki @ http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Endings

The first slide for the Institute details how "Once the Protectorate soldiers managed to crack the heavy gate and enter the Institute, they found none alive among the carnage. All the bodies of the dead Faceless were gone and all the Tchortists lay where they fell."

This is followed by the line, "Except for one. Eidein's body was never found."

I think this line is supposed to go away if you talk to the Faceless Commander about the captives and Eidein, but IIRC it still played for me anyway on my last playthrough.

Lastly, I put death in quotations because I've played enough games to know that the bad guy is never truly dead until you cut off his head, burn everything to a crisp, and then stare menacingly at the writers. :P

snake2243

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 06:03:52 pm »
I think im just gonna put the gloves up on finding him really. I have no clues to if im getting closer or if i fucked anything up, if have to do XXX i just dont know, been trying to find this guy for over a year now. Maybe someone else can find him.

Cmdr. DuctTape

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Commander on deck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 09:42:37 am »
I think im just gonna put the gloves up on finding him really. I have no clues to if im getting closer or if i fucked anything up, if have to do XXX i just dont know, been trying to find this guy for over a year now. Maybe someone else can find him.

It's also a possiblity that the whole thing was a Red Herring all along, and we wasted our time by trying to find him. I hope that's not the case though....

Megaost

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 07:55:32 pm »
The siphoner man is so psionically endowed that the mere thought of him will lead forum members on a wild goose chase. I'd say he's one of Underrail's many characters with ulterior motives, his being the facilitation of leading people to secrets.

Whether he exists or not, the chance of stumbling upon other cool hidden stuff whilst looking for him makes it all worthwhile I suppose!

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 09:20:35 am »
Happy 6th of August! It's Siphoner Man's birthday!
Is it his 3rd one?

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 02:59:07 pm »
I encountered the two headed mutant; I didn't know that was strange.

He was in depot A north, in the red circle, as I came in the direction of the blue arrow.  What was strange, I thought, was that I had cleared that map already and was just going back through on my way out.  I opened that door and bam, there he was, standing out in the middle by himself.
*eurobeat intensifies*