Author Topic: Improve floor quality value for Super Steel?  (Read 3144 times)

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Improve floor quality value for Super Steel?
« on: June 09, 2017, 02:29:07 pm »
I sure do love some Super Steel.  But the quality spread is pretty punitive.  I dropped 9,000 charons last night for three plates all under 90.  Might it be OK to increase the lowest quality from 70 to say 100?  100 quality is still just good enough to want to use.

Unlike any other crafting material in the game, you can't see the quality of your super steel before you buy it.  Of course you can probably save scum to get high quality.  But if you don't like the quality value of any other crafting material in the game, you just don't buy it.  You come back later when the merchant has restocked.  At 3,000 charons a pop, it's quite expensive to get bad RNG with super steel generation, and this rewards gaming the system.

The scaling for super steel means that any value of super steel plates below 100 will result in an inferior crafted item to the regularly-obtainable 120+ steel, tungsten, or TiChrome.  By roughly 100 quality you have a valid reason to use the super steel instead of a higher-quality, but lesser tier, component.  Similarly, when making sheets, low quality super steel results in items worse than you could get by shopping around for even moderately high quality ballistic panels.

I don't argue that super steel should be so good that it's always the best thing to use.  I do believe that it should always be good enough that there are good reasons to use it in something you'd equip for yourself.  Failing that, if we could recycle three super steel plates into two new ones, that would also allow us to overcome bad RNG, at an additional cost.

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Improve floor quality value for Super Steel?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 01:06:26 am »
Save scum + cheat engine (to make time run 100 times faster, no need to wait too much time until work will be finished)  = perfect super steel plates with 150+ quality, because fck RNG

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:25:01 am »
Save scum + cheat engine (to make time run 100 times faster, no need to wait too much time until work will be finished)  = perfect super steel plates with 150+ quality, because fck RNG

Ha. Save scum 160 quality super steel, then play with global.dat of several save files and have any amount of maximum quality super steel (and other components) for any character that needs it. That's how you do it)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 02:55:42 pm »
Hmm, yeah, perhaps we could make some improvements for the super steel creation process to make it more reliable, at least in the later gate. Personally, I like the idea of introducing a follow up quest in which you can improve Gloria further to produce plates of more consistent quality. We'll see. It'll have to wait until we're done with the expansion though.

Delta07

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:00:09 pm »
Hmm, yeah, perhaps we could make some improvements for the super steel creation process to make it more reliable, at least in the later gate. Personally, I like the idea of introducing a follow up quest in which you can improve Gloria further to produce plates of more consistent quality. We'll see. It'll have to wait until we're done with the expansion though.
I know this is a late reply, but have you considered making it so places like the Hecate Research Labs that has the Coil Spiders and such have information on dealing with the impurities in the Super Steel/Charons? Maybe some out of the way areas like labs, bunkers, bases, vaults, etc, would have data detailing how to deal with improving the quality of the super steel. The more places you visit and collect the data from and bring back, the higher the minimum or maximum (depending on what the data goes into detail about) for each new set of Super Steel gained. Make it so that if a player wants to ensure a minimum of 140 quality and a maximum of 160, they need to scour every last inch and look in places they would normally consider very dangerous. It's just an idea that I came up with at the top of my head when reading this thread.