Author Topic: Dev Log #53: Expedition Gameplay Video  (Read 13505 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #53: Expedition Gameplay Video
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:59:38 am »
Hi guys.

Just wanted to let you all know that, even though we've been quiet, we're working hard on getting all the content for the expansion done, now that all the new mechanics have been implemented. The good news is that the the bulk of the main quest, including all the heavy scripting, c&c, etc, is complete and functioning (for the most part, it needs further testing, of course).

For those who just can't wait to get to explore the Black Sea themselves, here's a short video from the recent internal testing that we've done (this is NOT a trailer). It does contain some spoilers, though we tried to censor the important stuff, so be warned.

https://youtu.be/qHXG2SCMEGk

Anyway, that's it for now guys. Let us know what you think.

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #53: Expedition Gameplay Video
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:18:12 am »
So psi crab is like a psi beetle and coil spider rolled in one? You really hate us.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 10:30:08 am »
Looking good. I really like that twitch drug. The double barrel's ability to fire both shells at once or fire the other one first are really cool mechanics too.

So psi crab is like a psi beetle and coil spider rolled in one? You really hate us.
It also applies Crippled up close, so yet another enemy that can easily screw metal armor/assault rifle/sniper rifle users.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:38:11 pm »
This post contains minor spoilers about the expansion from the video. You have been warned!

Everything looks great so far! The new weapons and armor look like a lot of fun to use, the enemies are awesome (that Handmaiden assassin robot thing is giving me System Shock 2 flashbacks), the graphics are stellar, and the new music tracks all seem to fit in perfectly with the atmosphere. My favorite of the new tracks has to be the piece @ 3:54, even though you only let us hear 6 seconds of it. :P

The one thing that has me a bit concerned is the new Hypercerebrix med. Properly built Psi-users are already OP enough as it is with +2 INT Junkyard Surprise, +1 WILL Tchortist Noble Robes, etc. Do we really need another item that gives +2 INT? Well, at least we won't have to save-scum JS for crafting anymore. On second thought, it's not a problem. I forgot that the only combat stat INT affects is psi regen. Derp!

Also, lovin' the new Twitch drug. Finally, something that buffs Initiative! Take that, Carnifex!

Keep up the good work, you guys! :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:57:02 pm by Altos »

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 02:45:26 pm »
Really interesting shotgun mechanics that I spy, no Aimed Shot or Snipe for you, but there's a feat for doing bonus damage with shotgun at point blank it seems, also if you have a double-barreled shotgun you can choose which of the two shells to fire, I'm glad Styg is adding this real shotgun feel to the game.

This post contains minor spoilers about the expansion from the video. You have been warned!

Everything looks great so far! The new weapons and armor look like a lot of fun to use, the enemies are awesome (that Handmaiden assassin robot thing is giving me System Shock 2 flashbacks), the graphics are stellar, and the new music tracks all seem to fit in perfectly with the atmosphere. My favorite of the new tracks has to be the piece @ 3:54, even though you only let us hear 6 seconds of it. :P

The one thing that has me a bit concerned is the new Hypercerebrix med. Properly built Psi-users are already OP enough as it is with +2 INT Junkyard Surprise, +1 WILL Tchortist Noble Robes, etc. Do we really need another item that gives +2 INT? Well, at least we won't have to save-scum JS for crafting anymore.

Also, lovin' the new Twitch drug. Finally, something that buffs Initiative! Take that, Carnifex!

Sounds interesting but where in the video is this stuff?

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 03:03:04 pm »

The one thing that has me a bit concerned is the new Hypercerebrix med. Properly built Psi-users are already OP enough as it is with +2 INT Junkyard Surprise, +1 WILL Tchortist Noble Robes, etc. Do we really need another item that gives +2 INT? Well, at least we won't have to save-scum JS for crafting anymore.

Well, numbers are possible to change, the idea was more to show off some stuff we did.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 04:01:27 pm »
I think his cutscene lasts longer than 10 turns, so it won't help you unfortunately. Still, another source of bonus initiative is a nice thing.

Sounds interesting but where in the video is this stuff?
You just have to pause the video at the right moments.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 05:38:49 pm »
I hoped to see the new skills and some action with the spears and machetes, good to know no more disgusting junkyard stew to get the 2+ int for crafting.

Arclight

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 06:09:17 pm »
Looking good so far. Shotguns look good - any vids of swords?

Cmdr. DuctTape

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Commander on deck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 06:22:24 pm »
Looks good. I really like the way shotguns work, and that there are so many types of shells. Looking forward to playing the dlc! :)

Darthgrey

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 07:28:30 pm »
Cant wait, want to play it as soon as possible. Any chance to release it this year?

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 08:14:48 pm »
The bazungolf, it is real!
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 08:55:48 pm »
Well, numbers are possible to change, the idea was more to show off some stuff we did.

Yeah, I know, and I am very thankful that you guys are even willing to show us this stuff before it has gone through rigorous internal testing. :)

In retrospect, the +2 INT probably won't make much of a difference for players outside of crafting, as it only affects psi regen otherwise (excluding dialogue and feats because those are determined by base INT).

Crafters will probably get the biggest boon out of the drug, since it will increase the effective value of their crafting skills by 17.0% (8.5% for each bonus point, according to the Wiki) as long as base INT is 4 or higher. In combination with +2 INT Junkyard Surprise (another 17.0%) and the 15.0% crafting bonus of the player crafting benches, this allows for a cumulative effective skill increase of 49.0%. Feel free to check my math in case I screwed something up. ;)

Regardless, I don't expect it to really change the game all that much. I guess you guys should be happy that the only criticism I can produce is a weak one. :P

Keep up the good work! :)

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 12:08:58 am »
Maybe is not the right place but curse my curiosity: Styg will be getting a new type of armor (or unique one)?, in the video there is a kind of variant of the tactical vest which provides reduced bullet critical damage and additional fortitude.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 07:51:00 am »

Yeah, I know, and I am very thankful that you guys are even willing to show us this stuff before it has gone through rigorous internal testing. :)

In retrospect, the +2 INT probably won't make much of a difference for players outside of crafting, as it only affects psi regen otherwise (excluding dialogue and feats because those are determined by base INT).

Crafters will probably get the biggest boon out of the drug, since it will increase the effective value of their crafting skills by 17.0% (8.5% for each bonus point, according to the Wiki) as long as base INT is 4 or higher. In combination with +2 INT Junkyard Surprise (another 17.0%) and the 15.0% crafting bonus of the player crafting benches, this allows for a cumulative effective skill increase of 49.0%. Feel free to check my math in case I screwed something up. ;)

Regardless, I don't expect it to really change the game all that much. I guess you guys should be happy that the only criticism I can produce is a weak one. :P

Keep up the good work! :)

The idea with Hypercerebrix is to replace the use of Junkyard surprise, so the intelligence bonus will be taken off from the latter.