Author Topic: Merchanting skill  (Read 2019 times)

snake2243

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Merchanting skill
« on: July 11, 2017, 10:42:58 pm »

Hey guys, at some point styg release a update to the marchanting skill, it went something along the lines of influencing what the vendor would sell at the time. what is your guys exp with uping that skill?

Have you noticed getting access to unique items you never saw? or higher quality items that would would have a much much more difficult time finding/only located in late game.

I'm gonna start a new game and just max that stat out to see  what i can get.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Merchanting skill
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 11:24:04 pm »
Have you noticed getting access to unique items you never saw?
Not unique in the sense that they cannot be obtained without mercantile, but the special stock often includes craft-only items such as MK IV mines/grenades, MK II EMPs, chemical pistol ammo, rare drugs such as focus stims, etc.

Having high mercantile can actually be a quite good investment if you want all of those- it's far cheaper than increasing all the crafting skills. It's kind of a jack-of-all-trades deal, you get access to a lot of craft-only stuff with less skill point investment overall, but on the other hand you don't get all the benefits crafting would give you.

I wish there were unique items that would be only accessible with high mercantile, preferably as quest rewards. Or maybe even unique outcomes that are something more than just bonus money. It would give a lot more incentive to spend skill points on it.

higher quality items that would would have a much much more difficult time finding/only located in late game.
I definitely saw more components of higher quality, but it wasn't anything special. I'm not sure if the special stock components have higher quality or if it's just that they are more likely to appear and as such you are more likely to get something of higher quality. Overall I think alone it's not enough to justify taking mercantile.

I also think one of the problems is that traders that offer special stock are pretty rare- maybe a little more than half a dozen in the entire game. This somewhat diminishes the benefits of having high mercantile, unless you don't mind waiting for them to restock.

snake2243

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 12:44:03 am »
Thanks for the heads up man, ya im investing all the points i can into it on a play through just to see what i can get out of it. but i will take your info into account.

you rem the glory days where you could practically at the start of the game find a cyclone cross bow that was really high quality being sold by vendors XD. but i recall styg specifically talking about making those types of high tier items accessible in the later game, or rarer vendors.

sin

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:56:58 am »
I also think one of the problems is that traders that offer special stock are pretty rare- maybe a little more than half a dozen in the entire game. This somewhat diminishes the benefits of having high mercantile, unless you don't mind waiting for them to restock.
According to the wiki there are actually 9 of them, however since some of them are mutually exclusive I believe you may access up to 6 different vendors in one playthrough.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 08:59:35 am by sin »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:11:49 am »
I wish there were unique items that would be only accessible with high mercantile, preferably as quest rewards.

This is our long term goal with this mechanic, but it will take time to make all those custom items.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:34:43 am »
This is our long term goal with this mechanic, but it will take time to make all those custom items.
That's cool. Imo it still needs some tweaking to be a skill truly worth taking, but the special stock is a big step in a right direction.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 02:18:21 pm »
Not sure if bug so i'll post here.

Items from special stock of Fort Apogee's merchant have lower quality than his regular items. Special stock quality is around 90-100 while for normal it's often 130-140.