Author Topic: Scenarios for guaranteed critical?  (Read 1684 times)

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Scenarios for guaranteed critical?
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:54:06 am »
Other than feats, what are some set ups for assured crits? I was just reading someone say that attacking from stealth guarantees one, is this true? Also saw something about traps. This is something I haven't really been aware of.

Bjorn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Scenarios for guaranteed critical?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 09:46:28 am »
I have been playing since a while, and I am pretty sure that the only way you will land Critical Hits is by:
- some Feats guaranteeing Critical Hits, and
- increasing your Critical Hit Chance by Items, Base Abilities and Feats

That being said, there is quite plenty of options among those.

If somebody mentioned attacking from stealth, causing a Critical Hit, he might actually have meant the Snipe feat, which can only be done from stealth. (it is not technically a Critical though, but does bonus damage).
It could also have been confused with Ambush, which gives bonus Critical Chance based on your Stealth Skill. Does not require you to actually be in Stealth, but is dependant on lighting circumstances. With enough Stealth Skill, you can pretty much get guaranteed Criticals on every single hit. (I am currently playing a character based on this feat, and it CAN be powerful if done correctly - I might post the build.)

In terms of traps, they must have been referring to using the Deadly Snares feat, which makes all Crossbow Attacks against an enemy stuck in Bear Traps OR Acidic Entanglements into automatic Critical Hits.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 03:46:37 pm »
Other than feats, what are some set ups for assured crits?
None. The only ways to score a guranteed critical are:

Aimed Shot with ranged weapons
Psionic Mania with psi abilities
Deadly Snares with crossbows against enemies caught in a bear trap or acidic entanglement
Fatal Throw with throwing knives against enemies with less than 25% HP
Stacking crit chance to 100% via items and feats such as Ambush (only against sufficiently illuminated enemies while standing in the dark yourself) or Survival Instincts (only when under 30% HP) or Ripper (1% more crit chance for every 1% HP the enemy is missing).

I think I didn't miss anything.

I was just reading someone say that attacking from stealth guarantees one, is this true?
No, that's not true. They probably meant Snipe or Ambush.

Also saw something about traps.
Most likely Deadly Snares.

Bjorn

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 10:31:22 pm »
I was thinking...
It would be really neat with a seperate entry for "Critical Chance" where it listed all the possible sources for %Critical Chance.