Author Topic: Chemical Pistol feats questions  (Read 2941 times)

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Chemical Pistol feats questions
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:35:37 am »
Hi

So I am trying to put together an interesting stealth+chemical pistol build.
Primarily because I like stealth and think chemical pistols are fun (not exactly because of overpoweredness)

But do the following feats work with chempistols?:

-Aimed Shot
-Sharpshooter
-Point Shot
-Ambush
-Opportunist

There are not a lot of info around on chemical wonders.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical Pistol feats questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 01:17:20 pm »
If you want to use incendiary/cryoliquid pistols, I would say Mad Chemist is pretty much a must since the On Hit effects of chemical pistols are their main selling point.

It increases the duration of freeze to 2 turns instead of 1 for cryliquid pistols and doubles the already high secondary damage over time for incendiary pistols.

If you want to use acid blob Mad Chemist is good as well, but not nearly as mandatory. It doubles the secondary damage just like with incendiary pistols but it's not going to be as high.

Another reason why Mad Chemist is not mandatory for acid blob build is that (at least in my opinion) you should acquire XAL-001 unique acid pistol, Chemical Assault Unit Armor and craft infused siphoner leather tabis as soon as possible.

XAL-001 deals more base damage than any other acid blob pistol you could possibly craft and more importantly it costs mere 16 AP to fire instead of the usual 25. The On Hit effect is slightly worse than that of endgame crafted acid blob pistols, especially with Mad Chemist, but 9 AP less to fire more than makes up to it.

Wearing CAU armor and infused siphoner leather tabis makes you almost immune to acid (about 90%/35 with both) and immune to immobilization so you don't need to worry about the gun leaking acid at you. In fact it's going to be beneficial as you will be spraying acid puddles all around you that can damage enemies.

This build goes very well with toxic gas grenades too, both thematically and thanks to CAU armor 20 bio DT and acidic entanglement. With grenadier the cooldown of gas grenades is only 1 turn, so you can fill up entire rooms with gas very quickly and make enemies stay inside them thanks to acidic entanglement. You can safely stay inside the cloud yourself as long as you don't stay in the tiles with the highest concentration of the gas. I guess you could risk staying even in tiles with high concentration if you wore a gas mask in addition to CAU armor for a total of 37 DT against bio damage.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:21:35 pm by Tygrende »

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 01:27:13 pm »
Also, the feats you listed are all perfectly fine for chem pistols. Point Shot is especially great to make up for their rather high base AP cost. Opportunist works great with cryoliquid and acid blob pistols. Crit feats are not that important since chem pistols can't stack crit damage and crit chance to very high numbers, but more damage never hurts either.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:31:12 pm by Tygrende »

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:13:00 pm »
I don't think any chemical pistol counts as silent weapon. It would be cool if cryogun did.

If i were to play with chemical pistols now i'd still use my old build:
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2008.msg11366#msg11366
I tried to avoid spoilers. I put some awful quality videos of rather spoilerish nature so be careful.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:36 pm »
Didn't Styg said something about additional chemical pistol feats in the upcoming expansion to compensate for the Gunslinger nerf? I consider chemical pistol build as the second weakest build in Underrail (after throwing build) so I would wait for expansion if I'm you.

Tygrende

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 11:31:16 pm »
Didn't Styg said something about additional chemical pistol feats in the upcoming expansion to compensate for the Gunslinger nerf?
Yeah, he also mentioned new sprites for chemical and energy pistols.

I didn't actually play the build I posted above for exactly that reason-  I'm itching to try it out but I'd rather wait for the new sprites and feats to enjoy it to the fullest.

I consider chemical pistol build as the second weakest build in Underrail (after throwing build) so I would wait for expansion if I'm you.
True, I would rank them about the same, acid being the strongest and cryoliquid being the weakest.

That said, even though it's among the weakest builds, it's still completely viable and shouldn't have any major problems. I finished the game with a non-crit pistol build that was probably even weaker than a good chem pistol build and didn't have problems at any point, not even during the final boss fight without solving the mutagen puzzle. Well, maybe some problems against burrowers very early on because I had no W2C ammo, but that's on me for trying to fight them early and under-equipped.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 06:48:11 am »
Hey thanks for good answers. Good thing that some others are as obsessed as me with this nice game.

I will also wait with playing chemical build now, as it is a significant time investment, and it is probably more interesting after the new feats arrive.